Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexican tortillas
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:04 PM
Mexican tortillas

Are so much better than than they are in the US. Why is it that no matter what brand I try up here they all taste like bland raw flour.
Then you go to Mulege where they are so much thinner and tastier. Better flavor, texture, smell and foldability.
They must be the best around because It seems the further north you go from there, the further south they go in quality!
My whole family agrees.
When I leave Baja I always try to bring some back.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:27 PM

Maybe it's the lard? I know that's why the refritos are so much better South of the border.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:39 PM

it's the same with the corn tortillias...

we're going next week..want us to express some home:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:55 PM

Preservatives. Mexcan tortillas are not transported by truck and don't sit on the shelf. They are consumed the same day they are made and if there are leftovers, they can be made into chilaquiles and it doesn't matter if they got hard overnight. American tortillas are packaged and trucked and need shelf liife, thus the preservatives.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:07 PM

HOla, hey why don't you try to make them yourself, it's super easy and everyone I teach loves not only to eat them but making them is fun too...it's not the lard, or the flour, it's the making of them...I even use whole wheat and soy oil and they are awesome...if you like I can email you the process....wheat or corn...there are some little tricks to success but I've got it down to a science now and teach all our visitors. I'd be happy to share it with you so you can have mexican tasting tortillas at home!:yes:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:14 PM

wadda ya think I am, some kinda chef:lol::lol:

jus' kiddin';D I would be honoured if you would share.

[Edited on 4-4-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:21 PM
Tortilla recipe

Sure Shari,
I'd love to have your recipe for those harina tortillas...Could you u2u it to me??
Thanks a bunch
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 09:10 PM

How about just posting the instructions... details right here?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 03:53 AM

shari..don't you have to have that BIG machine with the belt to make REAL tortillas:spingrin::spingrin:

our website is:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How about just posting the instructions... details right here?

Yeah, Shari, we're waiting !
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 08:27 AM

Shari....I have my griddle hot and the hueveos rancheros are almost done...so where's the recipe?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 08:31 AM

In the states, if you live in a place with a large mexican/latino population, you should be able to find a tortilarilla.. Maybe they will not be as good as in Mulege (or San Ignacio,my favorite),But you will be able to get Hot,Fresh tortillas once you figure out the timing of the shop...

The ones i get here in oaxoxnard at La Gloria market downtown are unreal! albeit not AS good, but they are no good the next day so that means something, right?

Still fun to hear my Wife try and speak spanish while making fresh one's here at home..

Shari, post your recipe, and I'll get my wife to post Hers. Then we can compare!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 08:37 AM
My eggs can't wait....Here's one to compare with yours, shari

These are fun to do together.....

Flour Tortilla Recipe.

Ingredients:
2 cups un-sifted Bread Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Lard, chilled
3/4 cup Warm Water

Directions:
Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Add the lard and mix in with your fingers until you have completely crumbled it in. Slowly add the warm water and mix with a large spoon. Take the ball out and put on a "floured" board and knead 3-5 minutes-until elastic. Store in a warm place inside an oiled, plastic bag for 1 hour. Pinch off pieces of dough about the size of a golf ball (1 inch) and let rest 15 minutes. Roll the balls into circles approximately 7 inches in size. Cook on a HOT (450-degrees) griddle turning only once. Remove to a basket lined with a cloth towel or put between a towel until cool. After the tortillas have cooled completely, store them in a plastic bag.

Corn Tortillas

Ingredients:
We are all familiar with both the corn and flour tortillas, but the original ones were of the native corn only, and except in Northern Mexico, corn tortillas remain the staple.

4 cups masa harina
1/2 tsp. Salt
21/2 cups hot but not boiling water

Masa harina (corn flour) can be purchased in most supermarkets. Quaker and Maseca brands are both excellent. If you are fortunate to have a specialty Mexican market nearby, you can purchase the masa dough freshly made and ready to press or roll out.

Directions:
Place the masa harina and salt in a large bowl. Add the water and mix with your hands to make a dough that comes together in a soft ball. Continue mixing and kneading until the dough is elastic enough to hold together without cracking, about 3 minutes. If using right away, divide the dough into 18 equal portions and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. If making ahead for later use, wrap the whole ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day and then divide.

To form the tortillas, place a portion of dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Press with a tortilla press or roll out with a rolling pin into a circle 6 or 7 inches in diameter. Use your fingers to smooth any raggedy edges. Continue with the remaining portions until the dough is used up.

To cook the tortillas, heat a heavy skillet, griddle or comal over high heat until it begins to smoke. Peel the plastic wrap off a tortilla and place the tortilla in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Turn again, and cook until the tortilla puffs a bit but is still pliable, not crisp, about 30 seconds more. Remove and continue until all the tortillas are cooked. Serve right away as this is when they are the best.

[Edited on 4-4-2006 by Pompano]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 11:16 AM

Wow, cool! Sounds like an easy way to go. Do you ever add lime like some"say" they do?

WHAT??? No tortilla press!:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 12:16 PM
Well...here's a tortilla press.....

but I don't know anyone who uses one of these things....nothing beats some good helping hands.

If anyone really want one of these for a souveneir there are thousands at all the tourist shops. I believe they are just recycled waffle makers...from Poland.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 01:59 PM

When I buy someone else's tortillas, which is seldom, I always go to my compadre's market in Mulege. He smiles and reaches under the counter for them....makes one think they are black-marketed! NEVER buy the ones in sight. Might as well flatten a slice of Bimbo.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:03 PM

Pompano,
They use those Polish waffle irons to press the corn tortillas at Superburro in Loreto, and they make the best tortillas in town. Use wax paper or saran wrap to keep them from sticking. They use an old piece of broom handle for the flour ones-- I think the lead paint flaking off is the secret ingredient. (NOT!! I don't want to start an ugly rumor and be banished from a favorite restaurant!) I also watched them using a press in the mercado in Zihuatanejo. I use one in Montana, althouth I don't make the greatest tortillas so far. I think I need to turn the heat up and smoke up the kitchen;D They are better than what you buy at Safeway though.
I sure would like to try nixtamal tortillas someday-- where do you have to go to get them-- Chiapas??
Dave
Elite Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:31 PM
and where's the cord to plug 'em in?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I believe they are just recycled waffle makers...from Poland.

I'm new at this. Should I get the right, or left-hand model?

Professional secret:

Fresh flour tortillas make great pizza shells! Thin and crispy.

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:33 PM

FLOUR AND CORN TORTILLAS, SAN FELIPE STYLE:

Ingredients:

Car Keys
Car
Gasoline in Car
A little time for a drive
Some Pesos

Directions:

Get the car keys and insert in ignition and start the car. Drive to town. Go past the circle. Park on the right at the 2nd stop sign past the circle. Buy a package of Flour Tortillas at the Flour Tortilla Factory on the left.

Return to car, turn left. Go down that street and turn right at the 4th stop sign. Go one block and park on the right again, just past the store. Across the street is the Corn Tortilla Factory. Buy a package there.

Reverse course and head home and hurry as in most cases the tortillas will still be warm.

Fill tortillas with your favorite filling and enjoy. :bounce:

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:34 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

our website is:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.