Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: how to hitchike in baja
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

eureka.gif posted on 4-6-2006 at 06:29 PM
how to hitchike in baja

I have some helpful advice for hitchiking backpackers in baja. The way we do it here is we go to the gas stations and make friends with the pump attendants and then ask them to let us know which vehicles are going where we want to go. You can also watch for cars going in your direction and then ask whoever tickles your fancy....it works so much better than sticking your thumb out as you have more control over choosing your rides and the cars don't have to stop on a dangerous highway as they are already stopped. Generally Mexican folks don't stop for hitchikers but will give you a ride from a gas station and you will make some new friends too. This is a great way to get off the bus route too and into some of the nicer more remote areas of baja.Text
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 06:46 PM

no no no....

like i want some hitch-hiker stranger come talk to me when i have the big wad of pesos out to pay the attendant....

i don't think so...maybe in canada where there's no crime but....
for us in LA....you don't look anyone in the eye...ever:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 10:52 PM

Shari is in a small Baja town, not L.A.

I think she was giving advice on how to hitch in Baja... at least how she has done it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 08:12 PM
shari...hitching is pretty much the same Up North..

..except for the fact that there is a lot more traffic in Baja..and grizzlies don't come out of the woods to eat you.

In Baja I always give hitchhikers a ride...of course I look them over pretty good first! The gas stations ARE a good place to hitch from. Gives rider and driver a chance to look each other over.

A good place to hitch from in Mulege is at the Y....just at the speed bump. All vehicles are almost stopped at that point and you can present your best effort. Can't even begin to count the number of hitchhikers I have given rides to over the years in Baja..and all other places too.

My personal long distance hitchhike was when I was on the Alaska Highway ...first ride 2000 miles..gotta be a record or something? Naw.. this was the old North. Things like this happened all the time then and still do. People share and repay with favors. I doubt I shall have to worry long about whether I should pick up a hitchhiker in Baja or on the AL-Can Highway....or just drive by and leave a little bit of my myself behind.

[Edited on 4-30-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 08:22 PM

I agree with Pompano. My first Baja central desert experience was hitchiking. That was before the road was paved and EVERYONE would stop for another. Life is not without risk and sometimes you just have to go for the ring. As our kids say: Just dooo it!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 08:27 PM

this ain't 1971...the world has changed

our website is:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 08:52 PM

"this ain't 1971..the world has changed."

Nope..you gotta get out of California more.

B. and S. I say BS to that. :saint: The best worlds have not changed, just some non-humanlike areas.

I am still today giving rides to people between Coyote and Mulege 2 or 3 times each week. I make the trip almost daily when not fishing and am glad for the company. My throat is still intact. Have made quite a few good friends over the years by giving them rides. My first full-time worker was a young 15 year old hitching his way to somewhere to escape utter poverty. He was Victor and he worked for me for 5 years before going on to Canada. (I should really make a short book of some of the remarkable characters who frequent the highway.)

On the Baja Road when coming south in January, we emptied our back seat in the 4 door Dodge pickup to give a man and woman a ride from El Rosario to Mulege. Glad to do it...they were delightful companions.

I think you are talking about LA, right?...Definetely not our world. But that is why we chose Baja and other places of the same attitude.

Last week driving around Fort Peck, Montana area I picked up two Souix headed for Bismarck, ND...400 miles we drove together without them lifting my scalp. (I do remember one older Assiniboine gent I picked up once headed to Winnipeg, Manitoba...he was quite drunk, but I didn't feel like leaving him standing out in the snow all alone. I let him in..showed him my Ruger .44 pistola tucked in my driver door...he nodded his head once with a little grimace and went to sleep. I listened to the radio..he had a good nap.)

[Edited on 4-8-2006 by Pompano]

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 09:46 PM

Pompano, I totally concur. In my younger days I hitched many mile, a lot as a Sailor. Today I have trouble giving a ride in California, because of all the drugs. Bob and I live in Sardine cans and I sure Bob as well as I long for your "other places". It won't be long now:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Pompano, I totally concur. In my younger days I hitched many mile, a lot as a Sailor. Today I have trouble giving a ride in California, because of all the drugs. Bob and I live in Sardine cans and I sure Bob as well as I long for your "other places". It won't be long now:biggrin:

I guess you don't remember the sixties Al. All it took was a joint to score a ride.:lol: Yep, times have changed!;D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 08:00 AM

I saw this guy hitchhiking on the freeway outside LA...he was holding a sign that read "HEAVEN"....so I hit him.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 09:16 AM

promoting hitchhiking in this world today with crack addicts, gangs, terroists, and perverts....

... is irresponsible and foolhardy....

our website is:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 09:19 AM
oh boy...

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 09:31 AM

:lol::lol:

our website is:
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 11:11 AM
heading south...

the old-fashioned way:spingrin:

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 07:28 PM

promoting paranoia im baja is a lot more irresaponsable the permoting hitchiking ( hang on i gott hitch a ride to get beer )

dont worry ill be back

see no problem i even shared my beer

lol jerry

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 07:37 PM

besides some of the best memorys i have were caused by being irresponsible by someone
have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
leadmoto
Junior Nomad

Mood: Froggy

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 02:31 PM

If there is no element of risk, it is probably not worth doing.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 05:48 PM

Would not advise my kid to hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers. Just isn't a good idea. Have had a couple of bad experiences as a hitchhiker and giving people rides. Assisting someone with vehicle problems on the road is another story.:no::no:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 05:53 PM

I have picked up quite a few here in northern Baja. Kids going to school, women going to the doctor, workers heading to town, people heading to the border? Only bad (kind of) experience was a couple guys with a radiator out of a truck, took a pair of gloves I had just bought (but left a pair of old ones).

Up here it's common to see kids going to or from school since it's several miles to the secondary for some.

[Edited on 4-10-2006 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 06:30 PM
right on Lou...

keepin it real!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.