Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: how to hitchike in baja
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 07:04 PM

I would not want to return to a Baja where you feared to pick up hitchhikers. Jeez..all you have to do is look them over first.

It's been a while since I heard about some crazed Mexican school kids or an elderly senora beating up motorists on the Baja Road. (Maybe Tijuana, but who goes there?)

If you figure those two young kids from England or Germany are going to roll you by hitting your noggin with their beach umbrella then maybe you should not have crossed the border.

Now I HAVE been peeed a couple of times because the broke-down rancher who I picked up after he'd been sweating under his pickup for a couple hours didn't smell so good and he drank more of my beer than me.

Then there was that REALLY FAT GUY just south of the Serinadad turn-off sign..always standing there with his tiny little wife...hitching into Mulege centro. Anybody remember him? Musta weighed a ton. Holy tamales, what a load he was....had to literally lever and stuff him into the cab. The wife just jumped up onto the back seat. To this day, the Jeep still leans to one side. I KNOW that he knew I was coming a half-hour before I knew.

Yeah...the Baja Road is fraught with danger...BUT HITCHHIKERS ARE NOT ONE OF THEM...if you use a little common sense.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 08:06 PM

The worst hitchhikers EVER were in Mendocino county in the early '70's... Hippie GARLIC EATERS!!!
Nine months pregnant...90 degreees in the shade... Volkswagen bus, tiny windows...
So we stop... they look so innocent.... we're movin and they whip out the knives and whole heads... peel, chew, breath.... eat ... exhale...

DISGUSTING!!!!

I'd prefer a Baja drunk anytime

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 12:27 PM
thumbing it

Agree with giving a ride to local folks! Jeez, what's the down side of that? I'm talking about interstate, big city-type, high traffic, shoot 'em up and eat the road kill. :?::?:Beware!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 09:01 PM

Wow, I haven't been called irresponsible since I was a teenager...well, trying to get a ride to Bahia Asuncion after going to the doctor, dentist, immigration etc, is always a challenge if your car isn't working or your ride doesn't show up as it has had 2 flat tires or something...many many locals try to get rides from the gas station as it is the only way to go and necessary unless you want to sleep in the gas station...nasty...you see... not everyone has cars and rides, not like you lucky folks who pay for their gas with BIG WADS of cash! So it is NOT irresponsible but a necessary fact of life of living in a secluded area...we do choose our rides carefully though...and rarely ask a gringo so don't worry about us strangers hitting you up for a ride...we know better...plus you rarely share your beer....but those of you who do...good on ya and keep up the good work!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 09:07 AM

I always give a ride to someone going to Abreojos or La Bocana from HWY 1. Thats the only place the bus will stop. Last month a family was so appreciative (they had been waiting for 4 hours) they bought the beer!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 04:49 PM

I heard Howard Hughes got around that way at one time!:lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 07:37 AM

Great story, Don Jorge!!
Thanks for your kindness to an old man with a big heart, and for sharing the story!
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 10:02 AM

Shari - Consider the source on the irresponsible, irresponsible comment. Pompano and Don Jorge are right on the money on this one. The gringos who live on the Baja and don't pick up hitchhikers are the ones who live at Loreto Bay or some other gated community away from undesirable (and irresponsible) elements, and you don't want a ride with them anyway.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 05:04 PM

you guys are living in the past....

as I said this is not 1971...

tell me how many people you knew in 1971 addicted to crack...
or did you ever hear of crack...

don't pick up hitch hikers and don't hitch hike.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 05:40 PM

Reminds me of that song by the Rugburns.... "Hitchhiker Joe". What a hoot! Bob, you ought to listen to it sometime!

One time I was making the run from Punta China back to Santo Tomas to replentish the diminishing cervza supply. I was zipping down the dirt road in my buggy when I came along a young man walking down the road. I stopped and asked if he needed a ride.
"Si senor", he replied.
He hopped in the buggy, and decided to be so casual as to leave his legs hanging out the side of the car. I asked if he wanted to put on the harness and lap belt, but he just shook his head no.
We took off down the road and within just a very few minutes, he decided that maybe being so casual wasn't such a good idea. Now fully into the Mastercraft seat, he still is riding without any of the belts on, but he's got a death grip on the oh-s#!t bar. By the time we are at the highway I tell him I'm headed to Santo Tomas. He is going the same way and wants to keep riding. We get onto the road and I open it up. We're flying down the highway, and about then he decides that maybe he ought to at least put the shoulder harness on, and the lap belt across his lap. His cowboy hat has long since been tucked between his legs, lest it be blown clean off his head and left in the road for then next guy. It's only a couple of miles from the Punta China turn off down to Santo Tomas, so it's over pretty quick. I was grinning from ear to ear, and I swear I've never seen a guy get out of my buggy so fast.

Hitchhiking is different in Mexico, and that's a fact.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 05:41 AM

Let's all sing along....:lol:

Don't pick up hitchhiker Joe
He'll slit your throat
And cut off your big toe, I tell you
He'll make you smile

From ear to ear
Gonna lock you in a trunk
For ninety-nine years
Don't do it now

Bom, bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom

I had a cousin who came from Vermont
Next thing I know, that cousin was gone
Truck driver saw him picking up hitchhiker Joe
Now his spleen's on the sidewalk helping flowers grow

He'll slit your throat
He'll make you smile

From ear to ear
For ninety-nine years
Don't do it now

Bom, bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom

My best friend Eddie called from LA.
Said we'd have dinner later that day
I've got a feeling, and it's more than a hunch
My poor friend Eddie was that hitchhiker's lunch

He'll slit your throat
He'll make you smile

From ear to ear
For ninety-nine years
Don't do it now

Bom, bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom

Hitchhiker Joe ain't no vegetarian
If you see him on the highway
Steer clear of him
He got a knife in his sock

And a razor up his sleeve
And a chainsaw in his pack
And he's gonna make you bleed, yeah, yeah

Bom, bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom

My girfriend Lois called from Talahassee
She picked up that dude at the spam factory
That was the last time that I saw her smile
My best advice is don't eat spam for a while

He'll slit your throat
He'll make you smile

From ear to ear
For ninety-nine years
Don't do it now

Bom, bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom
Bom, bom, bom, bom

Don't pick up Hitchhiker Joe

our website is:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 04:22 PM

I hve to side with the 'go with the flow' folks here.....I pick up up hitch-hikers in Baja (never at home) and I'm a woman alone. Only once did I rethink myself. I stopped for a man and 2 women out in the middle of nowhere. He came to the truck first at I realized he was quite drunk, I told him "no way, you have been drinking" He motioned to the women and I said "okay, them only" he smiled and thanked me, off the ladies and I went. Don't know how long it took him to catch up with them.
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 07:47 PM
Pompano

Pompano- You crack me up. Your posts keep me very entertained. Too bad Bob and Susan are wearing black shirts. While much of the dialogue here is a repetitive airing of personal views, you and David K. seem to make it worth checking now and again. Bernie is pretty good too. As far as hitchhiking in Mexico, it is the same old stuff, just use common sense. It works on both sides of the border.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 07:50 PM

..we're from the "darkside"

our website is:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 09:40 PM

Thanks Brian... nice to hear from you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CWF

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 01:37 PM

It is a shame that we have to fear somebody taking what's ours.

I live half the year in the Yukon and the other half down here in Alpine CA. Last Fall, driving alone on my yearly migration south, on the Cassiar Hwy, without having seen a person or building for miles, coming around a corner, I see this guy standing at the side of the road by a bridge wanting a ride. Bad place to be thumbing a ride I thought, still not over the trauma of SoCal traffic and drivers, and thinking there might just be some remote detention center/work camp nearby... so I keep on going, with more than enough room for him and half a dozen other hitchhikers in my truck. Common sense I called it at the time but I still feel guilty.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 12:09 PM

One of my first trips to Baja in 1980 we were hitchin" and got a ride with a gringo in a station wagon with the back window busted out. He was kind of a jerk but gave us a ride from the BOLA turnoff to Loreto. He would drive right past the old inspection stops (before the military ones) with the uniformed guys waving to us to stop but he wouldn't.
Anyway we get to Loreto and he pulls up to his friends house (a mexican guy) and pulls up the back seat and he's got a dozen rifles still in the boxes! His friends are all smiles as they quickly take the guns inside. I'm thinking jesus! no wonder we never stopped.
I ended up getting very sick on that trip and spent a week in the hospital, I'm pretty sure it was from breathing the gas fumes through that broken out window.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.