Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Erle Gardner?
bajabound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2003 at 01:14 PM
Erle Gardner?

Can someone tell me the title of the book written by Erle Stanley Gardner? It's the one where they explore a section of Baja with trail bikes and Helicopter's. I think it was written in the 50's. But I could be wrong.

Thanks !
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-13-2003 at 01:27 PM

bajabound-

You're probably looking for Hovering Over Baja, but you might check Off the Beaten Track in Baja, The Land of Shorter Shadows, and Hunting the Desert Whale, all by Gardner and I think he used helicopters and planes for all of those trips.

-Bufeo
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-13-2003 at 01:28 PM

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=3006905&ptit=...

egl
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-13-2003 at 01:28 PM

Right on,

Thanks for the info !!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2003 at 06:10 PM

Using his earnings from the Perry Mason TV success (Uncle Erle created the character, wrote novels and was a consultant and writer for the TV series), he could finance the exploration of Baja's mysterious and unexplored areas.

Also, he had many people all with unique skills join him and he paid all expenses. J.W. Black built the specialized vehicles first seen in Erle's 1961 Hovering Over Baja (exploring the canyons north of L.A. Bay), continued in his 1962 Hidden Heart of Baja (exploring the canyons north of San Ignacio), and my favorite is his 1967 Off the Beaten Track in Baja (south from L.A. Bay, other side of Concepcion Bay, and additional text and photos from the other adventures.

Erle wrote books about exploring America's deserts, as well. The Desert is Yours and Hunting Lost Mines by Helicopter, etc.

He really loved the desert and Baja California and all the people who lived in those places!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2003 at 07:12 PM
And.......

You can still meet one of his exploring helpers at BOLA .....Jesus "Chuey" still lives there and was the guide for David and several others on the (still lost) lost mission hunt that David wrote about a few days ago here. Something David missed...I was reading one of the Gardner books (can't now remember which) and showed the picture to David and asked. "wasn't that your guide?" on the first trip I went with all of you? (understand, this is some 50 yrs. or so later, from when the picture was taken) He (David) talked to Doc Abraham and said he wanted to meet him...one day while at camp Gecko Doc came and told David that Jesus was riding a Mule on the road south outside of Gecko.....Well!!!! the race was on! We caught up with Jesus and he apoligized for his slow writing of his name with his picture in David's book (still on the Mule) I was miffed BTW that I hadn't had (been given) a chance to grab my book for an autograph, LOL!....Later we were having lunch at Los Hamacas and talking about the morning.......David had his book out and our server saw the picture.....she smiles and says "that is my Tio" ....What a 'small world' Baja is.....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.