BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Norte Travel Warning!
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 05:32 PM
Baja Norte Travel Warning!

Has everyone seen this "interview" from Mike Overcast?

http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.46612.html

He was interviewed on the news and the stories concentrate on warning Americans from going to Baja Norte.

Unbelievable,
Ted

Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 05:40 PM

Maybe do a search on "Mike Overcast"

Therianthropic
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Has everyone seen this "interview" from Mike Overcast?

http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.46612.html

He was interviewed on the news and the stories concentrate on warning Americans from going to Baja Norte.

Unbelievable,
Ted

What do you mean by unbelievable? It can be taken in different ways.:?::?::?::?:
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:05 PM

What I meant was two-fold.

1) That Mike Overcast is releasing this to news agencies as if he speaks for a "government organization".

2) That CBS San Diego and now the other stations are reporting this as the local government recommends that Americans not cross the border. Seems a bit irresponsible.

I actually just received an email (sent to Baja Talk Radio) from someone in San Francisco saying they heard the government is warning against travel in Baja Norte and they wanted to know if they should still go to San Felipe on vacation. I emailed them back to see how they heard about this and to let them know I was just there.

I'm not blind as I know there is crime with the drug lords, etc. especially in TJ, but to recommend people don't go to Baja Norte only. Seems strange.

Ted

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:16 PM

The baja ****** Mexico Club's president is telling its members that they should avoid Baja California Norte.

dose any one believe this......The baja ****** Mexico Club has about 10,000 members worldwide.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:23 PM

Check the following "travel advisory" on MO's baja ****** website that advises travelers to change their BC travel plans to BCS, which, surprisingly enough, can be arranged by baja ******:

"Starting on March 12, the Club advises Members to avoid travel to Baja Norte, through Spring 2006. The recent rash of kidnappings of American citizens in Baja Norte compells the Club to issue the Travel Advisory.

All travel to Southern Baja continues to be promoted by the Club. The Club is now advising all Members who have travel plans to Baja Norte to reschedule them to Southern Baja.

Southern Baja Mexico continues to be the safest tourism location in the world for American citizens. Contact the Club directly for Travel Services to accomplish the safest Travel possible. Phone: 619-470-1890. eMail: **********@cox.net"

Some might see a mere coincidence here. Others might see a blatant marketing ploy aimed at creating and capitalizing on totally irrational fear. Not that I'm picking a side. Just making an observation.

[Edited on 4-15-2006 by DanO]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:29 PM

At 1:30pm Thursday, I was listening to KFMB's news break and heard the announced news warning from 'baja ****** Travel Club' that due to recent kidnappings, tourists should avoid Baja California (Norte).

I find it interesting that the area where baja ****** has been promoting tourism and off road racing (Cabo 500) is in Baja California Sur...

I am also wondering how a news division did not check the source or varify the report at anything other than a free plug for the 'baja ******' club.

I guess that means we won't see Mr. Overcast at this year's big '2006 Tianguis Tijuana' event, like we did last year... being held in Baja Norte!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:36 PM

Boy Mike, you really shoved your whole leg down your throat this time.:P

I mean Mike Overcast

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:46 PM

Only question I have is this - How come Overcast can get this level of publicity, while "some" of the folks on this board remain unknowns?

Kinda gives you a different perspective on the guy's marketing skills, right? DK should take some lessons from him! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Only question I have is this - How come Overcast can get this level of publicity, while "some" of the folks on this board remain unknowns?

Kinda gives you a different perspective on the guy's marketing skills, right? DK should take some lessons from him! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

a lot of people listened to Hitler also.

seems like it is easier to get an audience when you are crying the sky is falling in than when you are spreading good news about a place like David K dose.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:55 PM

Open my wife's purse, and get your damn hand bitten off!:O

[Edited on 4-15-2006 by Ken Cooke]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:58 PM

KFMB has been suckered and is looking very foolish here.

Major: Allowing someone deriving income from tourism in BCS to say don't go to BC (scare tactics), but BCS is safe, come on down! This is a commercial for baja ****** - and 10,000 members ??? - if this was true, many of those are freebies then.

Is this an attack by Mike on the business of say, the Discover Baja Travel Club?

BTW.. note that the kidnappings are not tourist-targeted, but specific businesspeople known in the community.

Minor: How is it responsible for a news organization like KFMB to report the state of Baja California as "Baja California Norte"? Is KFMB located in the State of Upper California?

How sad of a reflection is this on the news reporting of KFMB? Very irresponsible for sure.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 06:59 PM

Mike, you finally done good. I just wish more folks would listen. ;D

<Present company (mostly) excluded.> :biggrin:

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 07:01 PM

Bruce makes a valid point -- fear is an excellent motivational tool. In fact, the fear of contracting intestinal diseases and the fear of being trapped in a confined space with hundreds of people I don't have anything in common with are two reasons I will never, ever, go on a cruise.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
KFMB has been suckered and is looking very foolish here.

Major: Allowing someone deriving income from tourism in BCS to say don't go to BC (scare tactics), but BCS is safe, come on down! This is a commercial for baja ****** - and 10,000 members ??? - if this was true, many of those are freebies then.

Is this an attack by Mike on the business of say, the Discover Baja Travel Club?

BTW.. note that the kidnappings are not tourist-targeted, but specific businesspeople known in the community.

Minor: How is it responsible for a news organization like KFMB to report the state of Baja California as "Baja California Norte"? Is KFMB located in the State of Upper California?

How sad of a reflection is this on the news reporting of KFMB? Very irresponsible for sure.

Ok, if you want to get serious here.

Associating basically ANY station (to include the cable stations like MSNBC, FOX, CNN, or the mainstream CBS, NBC, ABC) with serious news is ludicrous. Take as an example any day you choose - and draw your own conclusions. But, to limit it to Baja, let's pick the recent report of the woman found murdered near Puertecitos. Was that any more responsible or thorough than this particular incident? I think not.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 07:07 PM

http://www.kfmb.com/contact_us/

here is a direct link to KFMB-TV you can leave your comments in the news room, I did

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 07:16 PM

Pretty tough to get to BCS by vehicle while bypassing BCN> :?::?::?::lol::lol::lol:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Pretty tough to get to BCS by vehicle while bypassing BCN> :?::?::?::lol::lol::lol:

Did they get a kickback from the ferry?

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:20 PM

maybe it is a last ditch effort by aero California to get enough business to stay afloat.:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:31 PM
the BRIGHT side

at least there wont be some 10,000 members of some dumb club going to baja norte in the near future. sounds like another road trip is in order! the beaches will be empty!!!:bounce:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.