BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Baja Norte Travel Warning!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:36 PM
Bruce

Congradulations! You are the only one who suggested a positive course of action.

Anyone who really cares should use the link he provided.---That is except Dave!:lol::lol::lol:

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:56 PM

Adulation opposed?:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Anyone who really cares should use the link he provided.---That is except Dave!:lol::lol::lol:

Bernie, as I write this, there are hundreds of drunk Easter pilgrims lighting fireworks and drag racing on the beach in front of your old casita. Maybe you should rethink that. ;D

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 02:05 AM

Mr. Overcast made the channel 10 news this evening - and their website to boot:

http://www.10news.com/news/8708954/detail.html

Un-freakin' believable. What a loon.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Mr. Overcast made the channel 10 news this evening - and their website to boot:

http://www.10news.com/news/8708954/detail.html

Un-freakin' believable. What a loon.

These reports by Overcast are a crock of s.....
Wow, unreal.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 06:34 AM
He made fox news at 10 last night also.

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 06:43 AM

Hmmm...wonder what effect this will have on Baja Sur traffic? Will they find another route or go through the frontier in caravans?

Hire armed gaurds?

[Edited on 4-15-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Hmmm...wonder what effect this will have on Baja Sur traffic?

I wonder what effect the passport requirement will have on Baja traffic as a whole? Now, that will be interesting!

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:12 AM
Ken

You sure raised an interesting question. With passport requirements I doubt that many will be just popping down to TJ or Ensenada for lunch. Doubt that it will affect south of Ensenada much. It will probably really hurt Rosarito with its dependence on the real young crowd. Doubt that they will think far enough ahead to get passports AND those other things that they mostly will remember.

Dave..........No, the idiots have been doing that for the past 15years--except with a little mordida we were able to keep the vehicles off the beach. The newer folks just do not understand how to get things done. Wish we could go further south but just getting a little too old to start building (three houses in Baja is enough) again.

Baja was great to me and I try to be good to it--but sittting and writing will mostly be it for me in the future.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 10:04 PM
If it wasn't Semana Santa......

......I doubt that the SD "news" organizations would have even considered covering this. But with spring breakers running amok and parents wondering what their kids are up to, they saw a sensational angle.

I'm with Roberto on this.......the primary goal of news organizations these days is increasing ratings, not report news. Have you noticed how they can twist a plug for a prime time show on their networks into a "news" item? Happens all the time.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Only question I have is this - How come Overcast can get this level of publicity, while "some" of the folks on this board remain unknowns?

Kinda gives you a different perspective on the guy's marketing skills, right? DK should take some lessons from him! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Except, I am not trying to get anything out of what I do on Nomad... I have no tourist business.

I post my trip reports or respond to others here because I enjoy doing it, and not for any financial gain. Except for you and a couple others, it is appreciated. You see, I like people and I like Baja... Baja Nomad is the best place for this way of thinking.

Happy Easter Paisano

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

roverdude
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days, Mornings Maybe...

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 11:26 AM

I wasn't aware of any of this, while mine and two other families had a great time traveling over 1000 miles of Baja Norte over Spring Break. Didn't notice a thing.
Don't believe the hype!

neilm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 03:15 PM
I wonder if Overcast will report...

how many gringos were kidnapped in Baja over the holiday? I suspect, zero.

Neil
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 03:42 PM

Mr. Overcast has made my day. 10,000 members?

Let me see now, $25 x 10,000 = $250,000

Maybe Mike will loan me some money.:lol::lol::lol:

Also, all this talk frightens me, so all Nomads please send your wives to Lytle Creek to hold my hand.:o

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 03:43 PM

The more I think about this, the more peeed off I get. I have good friends who depend on the tourist trade in BC to make a living, and this guy has appointed himself as the frickin' private U.S. State Department and issued a travel advisory that takes food out of the mouths of my friends and other hardworking folks in the north.

But just to be sure, I checked the real State Department's site, and you know what? There is no travel advisory for BC or for any other part of Baja or Mexico. In fact, there is only one country in the whole of the Americas (North, Central and South) on the list -- Columbia. Other than Haiti, the travel advisories are limited to Central and Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Africa. See for yourself right here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

I also ran across the State Department's quite informative tips for spring break travelers to Mexico, which is devoid of a single warning about kidnappings or other violent crime directed at American tourists in BC. In fact, the only thing they have to say about BC is that it's illegal to drink on the street in TJ and you need a prescription to buy meds. On the other hand, Cabo (that's in BCS, isn't it?) is noted for rental agencies who intimidate customers into overpaying:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/spring_break_mexico...

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 03:57 PM

chit happens down here just like in the US, don't deny it. There are to many developers that have infiltrated this site. CAN I SELL YOU A VIEW HOUSE IN BEAUTIFUL LAGUNA SALADA. I have no pictures; But belive me I would not lie to you.

We love you come on down! But send me your check first. ESTUPIDO!

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by bancoduo]
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 06:11 PM

Mike Overcast is doing this for a personal gain, his tourism reservations and the race he is promoting (Cabo 500) in BCS. The news stations were duped.

I want to know the reception Mike will get from tourism officials and businesses in Northern Baja now that he is telling people not to go there..... I also heard one station talk about his 1999 tourism award from Baja California. I know why he hasn't won one since.

Ted

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Happy Easter Paisano

Thank you, and same to you - Grazie e altrettanto. I did not realize you are Italian.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
The more I think about this, the more peeed off I get. I have good friends who depend on the tourist trade in BC to make a living, and this guy has appointed himself as the frickin' private U.S. State Department and issued a travel advisory that takes food out of the mouths of my friends and other hardworking folks in the north.

But just to be sure, I checked the real State Department's site, and you know what? There is no travel advisory for BC or for any other part of Baja or Mexico. In fact, there is only one country in the whole of the Americas (North, Central and South) on the list -- Columbia. Other than Haiti, the travel advisories are limited to Central and Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Africa. See for yourself right here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

I also ran across the State Department's quite informative tips for spring break travelers to Mexico, which is devoid of a single warning about kidnappings or other violent crime directed at American tourists in BC. In fact, the only thing they have to say about BC is that it's illegal to drink on the street in TJ and you need a prescription to buy meds. On the other hand, Cabo (that's in BCS, isn't it?) is noted for rental agencies who intimidate customers into overpaying:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/spring_break_mexico...

Which is all the more reason not to believe Fox News or any other false news organization which would feature someone like Mike Overcast.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 10:23 PM

Quote:

Which is all the more reason not to believe Fox News or any other false news organization which would feature someone like Mike Overcast.

KFMB - CBS
KGTV(10) - ABC

Have been mentioned multiple times. Fox news once. Yet, that's what you focus on. Is your slip showing, sir?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.