Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Toyota Tundra
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:06 PM
Toyota Tundra

I just saw the new 2007 Toyota Tundra on TV. Very nice looking, new motor and can tow 10,000 lbs. This is the truck Toyota should have built years ago. The only reason for buying GM, Dodge or Ford junk was there wasn't a Toyota or Honda full size pick-up with a decent towing capacity, now its here. Well almost here, they didn't mention when its going to be released but I've heard rumours it will be late this fall.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:10 PM

Kinda looks like the new ford, from what I've seen.....You can bet it will cost ya big$$$$$$$$$$$
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack
I just saw the new 2007 Toyota Tundra on TV. Very nice looking, new motor and can tow 10,000 lbs. This is the truck Toyota should have built years ago. The only reason for buying GM, Dodge or Ford junk was there wasn't a Toyota or Honda full size pick-up with a decent towing capacity, now its here. Well almost here, they didn't mention when its going to be released but I've heard rumours it will be late this fall.

Nope, no Tundra for me, I am gonna hold out for that killer truck coming out of Canada. But until it comes, I will keep driving my 8 year old Dodge junk, with 178,000 miles on it, pulling my travel trailer when we leave Baja for the summers.

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by wornout]

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:33 PM

It's still A TOY !
Doesn't have the size or power of any real truck; not even a diesel option.

Sure, I'll tow my camper or horse trailer with it; NOT !
Untested 5.7 liter gas engine and auto trans ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever try to tow something 10,000 lbs for real with anything less than a real truck ? When my 7000 lb camp trailer lost a wheel off the road in Baja, my F350 barely felt it. Wanna try that in a Tundy ? NOT !
Nobody that needs a real truck will buy it.
At least it's built in the US - just the profit goes to Japan......:fire:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Kinda looks like the new ford, from what I've seen.....

That's either sacrilage or extremely bad eyesite !!
You sure know how to insult a guy !!
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
It's still A TOY !
Doesn't have the size or power of any real truck; not even a diesel option.

Sure, I'll tow my camper or horse trailer with it; NOT !
Untested 5.7 liter gas engine and auto trans ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever try to tow something 10,000 lbs for real with anything less than a real truck ? When my 7000 lb camp trailer lost a wheel off the road in Baja, my F350 barely felt it. Wanna try that in a Tundy ? NOT !
Nobody that needs a real truck will buy it.
At least it's built in the US - just the profit goes to Japan......:fire:

But how can these trucks have worked like work horses for all these years when they are 'junk' as 'Jack' indicated? Is there a possibility he's never driven anything over an S10 with a case of Brown Derby in the back? :lol:

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 05:45 AM

I have never been happier than I am with my F250 Super Duty Tritan V-10 Super-cab long bed truck. I'll just stick with what has worked very well for me over the last 20 years! And, that's a FORD! Thank you very much. There is a reason why Ford trucks have been the number one selling truck for over 20 years in a row... :tumble:
Bob H
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 08:40 AM

Jack understand that these Dodge and Ford lovers only drive the paved hwy and graded roads. They make one or two trips a year pulling their 20,000 lb home. They never see the rough back country trails that separate the men from the boys. I test drove a Tundra and it had the best suspension of any full size truck I'd ever drove on hwy 99 thru Bakersfield. I didn't take it off road so I can't say about that. My nephew has one and he drives across the sand dunes at Glamis all the time. As to the new 5.7 V8, I would wait a year or so before buying. Let em get the bugs out first.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 08:53 AM

I bought a new 3/4 ton Suburban a couple years ago. I have definetly NOT been impressed with the quality.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
.......Dodge and Ford lovers only drive the paved hwy and graded roads.

Although I don't spend a lot of my play time looking for places to challenge my truck, follow the leader style, it get's serious use. Mountainside construction sites, mud and rocks are a part of daily life here.

It's interesting to note that almost all of the loggers, excavators, farmers and ranchers out here drive Fords with a few Dodges and Chevys mixed in; NO TOYS.

Toys are for people who want to play, want better milage, don't really need a truck, or for the WIFEY !
If I wanted a real play-toy, I'd get a Jeep !
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 09:02 AM

Actually, I'm about to hitch the trailer to the old F250 and go pick up a few tons of manure. After that, we will go up the old 4wd trail into the muddy, boulder strewn hills for a load of firewood. Any Toys want to volunteer to haul my trailer up the hill, through the mud and across the creek ?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 09:41 AM
Well, enough fun on the 'puter for one morning..adios

think I will go fishing.

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 10:00 AM

See what I mean, a big Dodge and a big trailer on a smooth dirt road. I'm only funnin with with the big truck boys.

JZ I bought a 2004 GMC Z71 in March of 04. In June 04 the lites for the 4x4 switch array all lit up. Dealer reloaded the software to fix. Last summer the check engine lite came on. Dealer changed the charcoal can and a relay. Last month the speedometer went nuts and they replaced the instrument cluster. On the way home I noticed the temp gauge didn't work, back to the dealer for another instrument cluster. This time the business odomometer didn't work. It turn out that it was not turned on. Simple pushing of the right combination of buttons on the steering wheel. However it took the service manager to do it. But the owners manual doesn't say you can turn this stuff on or off. I got worried since I got 33,000 miles on it and the warranty is 3 yrs and 36,000 miles, so I bought an extra 3 years and 45,000 miles of warranty. By then I figure all will work or I'll replace it. Maybe with a new Tundra.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 10:15 AM

I guess it also depends on how much crap you want to bring along to baja..

Dog, Wife,Cooler of beer, and some surf and sailboards. Fishin rods and the pop top camper, occasionally the tin boat on top..If you really NEED a fifth wheel trailer and such then I guess the big truck is for you....I bought this little baby with 100,000 miles on it and put on another100,000 on it..A little slow up the grades with a load but big deal...NEVER saw a road I couldn't make and NEVER got left busted anywhere...

TOYOTA LA MEJOR!! Just ask your best Mexican friend
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-16-2006 at 10:16 AM
'87 Toyota custom cab

jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 01:00 PM

Oh my, I never realized you GM, Ford and Dodge boys were so defensive. I've owned GM's and Fords all my life. My last pick up, a 3/4 ton GM lasted 18 years and was a good truck. Unfourtunately the big 3 haven't learned a thing from the Japanese when it comes to quality and reliability, in fact their vehicles have got worse. My latest 2001 GM had to go in for warranty work 20 times, now that its off warranty I get to fix it myself, and believe me the problems haven't stopped. Every time I go to the Baja I'm always wondering if I'll make it back to the States, never mind all the way to Canada!
As far as supporting North American companies I'm all for it. The fact of the matter is that most Japanese vehicles are built in the US or Canada and a lot of American vehicles are being built in foreign Countries, mostly Mexico.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack

As far as supporting North American companies I'm all for it. The fact of the matter is that most Japanese vehicles are built in the US or Canada and a lot of American vehicles are being built in foreign Countries, mostly Mexico.

And those Dodges belong to a German company.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 02:09 PM

A mine (largest copper mine in North America) near where I live has been using North American trucks for over 30 years. They are so disappointed with reliability from the trucks they presently use (GMC) that they put in an order for 4 Nissan Titans to test. The GM's have been breaking down so much and so often that they say it is costing them production.
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Toyota had their problems too,especially with their V-6 and head gaskets.Automatic trannys also.
My dad had a Camry that blew a timing belt at 50,000.

Every vehicle is bound to have an odd problem. The thing with GM, Ford and Dodge is that they have so many problems a lot of owners are on a first name basis with the mechanics at the dealership.:spingrin:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
See what I mean, a big Dodge and a big trailer on a smooth dirt road. I'm only funnin with with the big truck boys.

JZ I bought a 2004 GMC Z71 in March of 04. In June 04 the lites for the 4x4 switch array all lit up. Dealer reloaded the software to fix. Last summer the check engine lite came on. Dealer changed the charcoal can and a relay. Last month the speedometer went nuts and they replaced the instrument cluster. On the way home I noticed the temp gauge didn't work, back to the dealer for another instrument cluster. This time the business odomometer didn't work. It turn out that it was not turned on. Simple pushing of the right combination of buttons on the steering wheel. However it took the service manager to do it. But the owners manual doesn't say you can turn this stuff on or off. I got worried since I got 33,000 miles on it and the warranty is 3 yrs and 36,000 miles, so I bought an extra 3 years and 45,000 miles of warranty. By then I figure all will work or I'll replace it. Maybe with a new Tundra.

Transmission went out after 20K miles. AC went out. Both fixed under warranty.

Warranty expired. AC went out again, about $1,500 to fix. Sunroof started to leak, costing about $2,000. Something is now hosed with the steering. Got a first quote from the dealer asking about $2,000 to fix that, but found a cheaper source. It will still cost me about $1K. There has been some other smaller stuff also. This is all under 70K miles.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.