Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ensenada 1900
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 04:23 PM
Ensenada 1900

Below is a photogrpah I've taken from the following article and web-site. It appears with proper credit that may be ok to do.

I was thinking it would be neat if one of our Ensenada members was able to take a look at the photo and then try to determine from where this photo was taken..........Then take a 2006 comparison shot from somewhat the same place. The hills and mountains in the background should make this not terribly difficult

Here is the credit line for the photo:

Margaret Brown Baldwin, "Memories of Early Days in Baja California," The Journal of San Diego History 22, no. 4 (Fall 1976).

[Edited on 4-17-2006 by John M]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 05:12 PM

Map of Ensenada, surveyed for the International Company of Mexico, 1889:

Ensenada in 1891, with the distinctive Hanbury & Garvey building dominating the landscape:

1892:

1900:

1907:

1928:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 05:27 PM

Keep 'em coming Doug!

Let's see that building through the ages... Thanks!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 05:54 PM

I parked my truck in front of that statue a few months back during a code

race meeting, on your last picture cannt believe thats been there so long.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 06:48 PM
Great collection

of photographs!!!!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 07:39 PM

Amen!

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 08:05 PM

Interesting...

Thes are great photos, and they look like many western US towns of the period! Peaked roofs, brick or frame construction, double-hung windows, ornament over windows and at roof line typical of buildings up north!?!

I wouldn't have expected Ensenada to look like this. It looks moer "Mexican" today!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 08:22 PM
Paula

All those pictures were in the time frame that there was an English school (meaning American) in Ensenada.
Most of the pcitures were taken from the Iturbide Hotel named after ?the short time? Mexican Emperor and perhaps, some of them were by the Lady mentioned--her story is a wonderful one that I may not tell because it is copyrighted.

How do I know this junk--'cause a bunch of it is my next book.

[Edited on 4-18-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 08:38 PM

Thanks,Bernie!

...looking forward to learning more...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 12:44 AM

Hotel Itrubide, 1889:

The Billiard Room, Hotel Iturbide about 1890. The hotel opened on October 13, 1887 in a three-story building perched on a hill with a stupendous view of the bay. At the time Ensenada had a population of 1450:

"The hotel stood high on a hill overlooking the beautiful bay. It was constructed of wood and painted white with red trimmings like the Hotel del Coronado near San Diego. It had large verandas running almost entirely around the building and was three stories high. There were many vines, geraniums and pepper trees growing in the gardens which were terraced clear down to the wharf. There were cement steps going up and down to the beautiful beach..."

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/76fall/memories.htm

MEMORIES OF EARLY DAYS IN BAJA CALIFORNIA
By Margaret Brown Baldwin

(same article from John M)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 06:20 AM
More good stuff Doug

Bernie, or Doug, or others - do you know of other Martha Brown Baldwin material? Bernie -- sounds as though you may be using or considering some things along this line?

John m
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 06:31 AM

Thanks for starting this post, John

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 11:20 AM
Where's

Anthony's Disco Bar????:?:

Great collection of photos, everyone. Now, where is Hussong's? Wasn't that supposedly going back then?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 12:30 PM
Hussongs Cantina you ask??

Just punched up some web-site and found this quote...for its accuracy I cannot say.

"Hussongs hasn?t changed much in 110 years. Current owner, Ricardo Hussong, grandson of founder Juan."

That makes is around certainly in 1900!

Someone ought to write a book about the place....on second thought it's likely been done already.

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 02:58 PM

Here is Walt Hussong, the great, great grandson of the founder... at my Viva Baja #4 event...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 08:16 AM
John

In my new, and unfinished, book I have a story of Ensenada, "Only a Way Station," in which I attempt to show that since the 1500's most people Mexican, European, and American have just wandered through this beautiful location with little or no thought for its importance in the the past, today, or even the future.

Listen to the posters here and you will see why I called it "Only a Way Station." Their attitude toward a wonderful city is, 'time to get some gas and eat a few tacos' before we hit the "Real Baja." Even Father Serra seemed to have the same attitude.

The link provided by Doug will lead you to the best history of what the area was really like back then. Margaret Brown Baldwin tells a fantastic story of growing up in an area that many of you only experience from the highway. Read it! Cedros, El Marmol, San Diego, and places in between.--Waiting for the supply ship from San Diego to show up--with little or no food in the kitchen. Sea Captains smuggling silly little things because they were not allowed....................................A must read for anyone who has more than a passing interest in the Real Baja.l

And yes, she talks about living in that hotel, The Itrubide, that was named after an 'Emperor of Mexico.'

Even if you read her story you'll still want to read mine because I throw in a lot more 'stuff.'

Like the Jack Dempsy Hotel that turned into a downsized 'Cultural Center' and a place where members of the Mexican and American Army's planned for the defense of the west coast in WWII.

[Edited on 4-19-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 08:25 AM
Paula

I think you will find that Ensenada had a population very much like San Diego of that day. Easterners, British, Jewish, Mexican and others from all over the world. English was spoken by many, including the Mexicans.......and that is why the buildings look so familar.

Had to be a fun place to live in back then. Hey! A priest even traveled down from San Diego to say the mass.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.