Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sweet spot 78-80
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 11:58 PM
Sweet spot 78-80

HEY, I'm talking about the sweet spot on yer speed-o-meter. In my Dodge Ram the spot is 78-80 mph @ 1750-1800rpm, With OD unengaged it will search for the proper gear when it drops below 78mph under average circumstances.

It really bugs me when the truck hunts fer the correct gear that was set in it's (trucks computer)' original set of instructions.

"Chipping" or otherwise installing an aftermarket(some) reprogramming module will let the user adjust the shift-points thereby influencing gas mileage and prerformance.

Big tires have an influence on the data the trans receives so it's prudent to reprogram the computer(also possible) with the new "chip" . Currently I believe there are only 3 or 4 avail for my particular rig. Choose carefully, they're not cheap. You WILL see the diff immediately.:yes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 08:21 AM

Next time I buy a truck, I'm going to get a stick shift. I'm tired of not being able to select my gear. I can't even go over a freeway overpass without the thing shifting.

I recently tried an experiment to see if I could save gas by driving 55 MPH. I remembered how relaxing it used to be to drive slower when that's what the speed limit was. Guess what? It is more relaxing and the gas milage went up by about 3 MPG. Since I'm retired, I'm not in a big hurry anyway.
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 10:32 AM

I was worried this was going to be a thread on tocadiscos or something like that..

But seriously, if your going to go diesel go with a manual transmission.

YOU decide on the RPMs, not some pencil neck geek programmer that probably drives a Ford Fussion

The worst part is that when an automatic breaks , you DITW.

When a manual tranny breaks you almost always have one or two gears left to be able to move a short distance.

Lero
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 10:51 AM

yeah:bounce:I'm a stick man too, but Dodge left out that option with this truck?????

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 11:08 AM

Steve looked for days for a stickshift 4Runner, was told they aren't being made any more, had to settle for a used one in in good shape.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 11:37 AM
Sorry Lera

no such thang!:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 12:28 PM

Interestint that about all of the race trucks use automatics.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 05:49 PM

Personally I'll take an automatic anytime, any day of the week....and my dirt bikes have to have electric start.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2006 at 07:24 PM

Over the years, I have been told that it is best not to load the diesels at less than around 2000 rpms or more. I understand this is bad for the engine, doesn't allow the fuel to fully burn or some such thing.

I have an '04 F350 Diesel with an automatic. When I use it normally, it doesn't always shift where I want and often falls below 1500 rpm before shifting under load. When I hit the tow/haul button it seems to remove the overdrive and also makes the engine shift down when I hit the brake and lower the rpm's, usually keeping the rpms over 2000. Anyone know how this thing works ?
I think I will add the chip and banks shift module so I can get it to shift where I want and hopefully increase the mileage; I'm not looking for more power.

I also have a '94 F250 diesel with a 5 spd. As I normally try to keep the rpms around or over 2000 under load, I have similar problems with the manual. 55-60 mph is too fast (Mucho rpms) for 4th gear but too slow for 5th gear (1500-1700 rpm). It starts to purr just under 70 mph.

My next truck will be an F350 diesel with a 6 spd !!!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 09:47 AM
WOW, Sharks.....

....78-80 @ 1800 in a six cylinder? Man, that's really good for economy. But I can see why it is wanting to shift on you all the time. I am guessing your rear axle ratio is in the 3.5 range or less? Or you have a 5 or 6 speed?

My Ford diesel basically is @2000 when I am at about 65-68. 3.73 rear axle and a simple 4 speed auto (including O/D). In cruise, I don't have much downshifting unless I am towing and that's even with the Lance on the back.

Programmer/tuners and chips are great for adjusting the shift points as you move up the range. I have one. But I'm not sure you want to be at fwy speeds in something lower than your O/D. Well, unless you are towing or carrying some substantial weight. Very inefficient, typically. So, I'm not sure how valuable a tuner or chip will be.

I DO have problems while towing with California's ridiculous 55 mph towing limit. That's really at a bad spot. My solution......I CANT DRIVE, 55! So, I dont. But my sense is that the CHP is not real big on enforcing this, especially outside the main cities. Almost all the semis and other towing vehicles are doing 60-65.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 10:02 AM

About time for a Nomad Motorhead forum !?!? :D
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 11:56 AM
Hook, you know how to hurt a guy!

Six cyl hemi? :lol: I'm not sure it would push the beast!

[Edited on 4-19-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 12:15 PM
Not the same ol' truck

"Four-wheel drive Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks have a redesigned recirculating ball system made to more exacting tolerances than their predecessors. The new system improves on-center steering feel through lower internal friction, with responsiveness enhanced by a quicker ratio. The 13.4:1 overall steering ratio and 2.75 turns lock-to-lock are especially effective when making tight turns or maneuvering a trailer in close quarters. The system also provides a steady helm for highway cruising, with little of the wander and imprecision normally associated with heavy-duty truck steering.

Since the majority of Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickups are ordered with four-wheel drive, Ram's off-road performance is a key selling point. To improve off-road performance, the 2003 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks feature new transfer cases and new front and rear beam axles. The beam axle system can sustain the types of off-road load forces the truck will endure, while providing improved load ratings.

Dodge Ram 2500s and 3500s provide a new suspension system for four-wheel drive versions. Front suspension on four-wheel-drives is a refined version of the five-link, coil-spring suspension used on the previous-generation Dodge Ram Heavy Duty, with a new front beam axle. The front beam axle has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, and is rated at 5,200 pounds Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR). "

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

With that rpm at 78-80, I thought sure you had the Cummins diesel which IS a sixer. So what's your rear axle ratio and how many speed?

We need a motorhead section.....simple offroading doesnt cover us towinghauling guys.

Oh, DOUG!!!!!!!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

With that rpm at 78-80, I thought sure you had the Cummins diesel which IS a sixer. So what's your rear axle ratio and how many speed?

I did make a mistake on the original post. It should say; with OD engaged running 3.73 rear and 37.5' tires I cruise at 78-80 mph @ 1750-1800rpm. I can verify this with my AVG-VDP1. Based upon GPS calculations and an onboard computer I can monitor and record many statistics including speed, rpm, torque, hp, ascent angle, g-force etc, etc.
Pretty cool thang.:cool:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 03:01 PM
etc,etc

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 03:02 PM
etc,etc

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 03:02 PM
etc,etc

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 08:48 PM
What about keeping the old truck?

Unless you feel it's lost compression, that engine is supposed to last AT LEAST 300-400K. Why not just replace the tranny with a beefy aftermarket one and keep on truckin'. Shore beats payments or paying with a chunk of change.

Otherwise, I would go with something with the Cummins. Heard Ford is dumping the 6.0 due to the problems and who wants to be tested on a new engine........unless it's a Cummins, of course.

With that weight, I think you are gonna have to go 4500/450. My 1 ton Ford has a max CGVW of 20k total, I believe. Subtract the 6800# for the weight of the vehicle and I can only tow about 13000#. Dont know if this is representative of a 1 ton by the big three or not.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 06:14 AM

Anyone ever see this? Best of both worlds! http://www.fordcummins.com/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.