Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: A Day Without a Mexican - the movie
chickensoup

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 09:55 AM

Woooo....now.

The absolute reality...which is not shown in the film...is what would REALLY happen if everyone just disappeared.

I be would able to actually use those ipod FM modulators...because there would be no more Spanish speaking stations hogging up the airwaves???

The film is crap.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 12:40 PM
A day w/o a Mexican (in the USA)

The roads would not be as crowded.
There would be no lines at the emergency rooms.
The schools would have a decent student-teacher ratio.
The jails would not be overcrowded.
Prices for health and auto insurance would fall.
There would be less demand for gas, so gas prices would fall to.
The Mexican economy would take a huge blow from the lack of funds sent home.

It's never as one-sided as it is sometimes portrayed
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 12:49 PM

You know, the way some of you talk about the people of this country, I dont know why you would ever want to come here. And with that attitude, you shouldnt

One of the main ironies of the movie is the title. Can anyone tell me why?

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 01:00 PM

A Day Without A Mexican...
... sometimes they have to disappear to be seen.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
You know, the way some of you talk about the people of this country, I dont know why you would ever want to come here. And with that attitude, you shouldnt

Judy, as the old saying goes, "you took the words right outof my mouth!" How anyone can spend time here and not learn of kindness, gentleness, helpfulness, gratitude and humility as a way of life amazes me.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but we hope to rent it tonight or tomorrow.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Quote:

Judy, as the old saying goes, "you took the words right outof my mouth!" How anyone can spend time here and not learn of kindness, gentleness, helpfulness, gratitude and humility as a way of life amazes me.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but we hope to rent it tonight or tomorrow.

I'm with Judy and Paula on this...I was appalled to read some of those comments.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 02:22 PM
It is puzzleing to me----------

---------why anybody would be "appalled" or "offended" by comments about ILLEGAL folks in the USA, or anywhere else, for that matter.

The key word is ILLEGAL!!!! this means that they "broke the law", and the "law" is the main thing that holds any fragile democracy together.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what we think about Mexicans--------it is what we think of folks that have BROKEN THE LAW!!!!!!! no matter what Nationality they are.

Please stay focused-------those that wish our borders enforced do not hate Mexicans, that I know of. We believe in the rule of law, and I am one of them.

I will continue to visit Mexico, like I have done for the past 55 years, and continue to enjoy the hard working folks that I encounter there, whether you think I should, or not.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 02:40 PM

The movie was not about illegal aliens.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 02:42 PM

Sorry-----I have not seen the movie, but thought that the "comments" referred to were about Mexican Illegals-------if not, then I apologise.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What you should be appalled about is the US employers who take advantage of these hard working people, expect them to work under grueling conditions, pay then dirt wages, and provide no benefits.

You should be appalled that employers chose to save a few buck$ and hire an illegal rather than a US citizen.

You should be appalled that there are jobs that US citizens will now not do, that for some reason they did 30 years ago.

You should be appalled that our government does not enforce laws against employers who hire illegals, or enforce laws against illegal in this county.

You should be appalled that Cities allow people to live in sub-standard conditions in homes and apartments that have way more people in them than they were designed.
for.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

What does the above have to do with what you said later?

[Edited on 4-20-2006 by bajajudy]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 03:22 PM
"Who benefits?" ???????????

----Grover, surely you are joking?????

WE BENEFIT, of course. If you can't see that I don't know what to say.

THE EMPLOYERS ARE BREAKING THE LAW, and no amount of rationalization changes that. Any move in the direction of enforcing the laws is a step in the right direction, as I see it.

This particular law is long overdue for enforcement, as are most of the immigration laws, as well as the border integrity.

Your cynicism is disturbing, at least to me.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 03:31 PM

Barry A., I will have more respect for the terms "legal" and "illegal" when I feel that the laws written and passed by our government and the governments of other nations are made with the safety, well-being and dignity of the peoples of the world as the sole motivation of The Law. As it stands today, the legal codes of most countries benefit corporations and the more affluent among the governed. Sadly, the poorer, less educated and weaker of people go unaided by The Law.

Taco, I AM appalled by the way that corporations treat workers-- American workers, and Mexican workers, both "legal" and "illegal". I am also appalled that those words are applied to human beings. I am appalled that our government does not enforce laws against employers who do not pay and respect their workers as they should. And I am appalled that any people live without good nutrition, medical care, and safe housing-- especially in our wealthy and powerful country.
I think that the fact that Americans will not do work that they did 30 years ago is a result of conditions in our society that have nothing to do with foreign workers.

I think that the world is much smaller than it was just a short time ago, and we need to look for solutions to the problems of all mankind rather than for Americans, and for Mexicans, and for Chinese, and Africans...

We are all in this together, like it or not, and I believe cooperation and unselfishness, will go farther for us all than the "Igot mine" way of thinking that we as a nation are guilty of.

So... did anybody want to know what I think?;)
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

What does the above have to do with what you said later?

[Edited on 4-20-2006 by bajajudy]

Estimates state that there are 12 million illegals in this country. Many of then are being taken advantage of. This is not right. No one on either side seems to care. All people want is a cheap head of lettuce. :mad:

The original start of this thread (that may have to be moved to the off topic section) was "A day Without a Mexican". Although I have not seen this movie, I am sure it is as one-sided and biased as that Michael Moore's 9-11 movie. I simply was adding a few things that would happen if 12 million people (more if you want to count legal and illegal Mexicans) were to magically vanish out of this Country that the movie probably did not even cover.....Everything I stated would happen, including the complete failure of the Mexican economy....was that in the movie?

I say again, this issue is not one sided.

[Edited on 4-20-2006 by Taco de Baja]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 05:26 PM
A Day without Mexicans

If you havent seen the movie, how the heck do you know what it is about. OR what slant it may or may not take.

Back to the topic
And of those of you who have seen the movie.
What is the irony of the title?

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 05:33 PM

Wow, I post a topic to get a discussion going about the movie and it goes wild! Anyway - are they illegal because it's too damn complicated, difficult, expensive, have to wait for years to come here legally? Heck, we (meaning many of the Nomads) can't even figure out whether or not to get a Tourist Visa and how to do so. Look how many of you have stated you did not get one for your Baja travels although required. YOU were THERE illegally! What we really need is a simple immigration system between the 2 countries. Hubby and I volunteer at a local food bank daily (in Sacramento). You wouldn't believe the number of "illegals" we give emergency food to - they have absolutely no form of ID with them. We are not a government operation so we don't much care, but it's very sad that they got here with nothing that even has their name on it. And they are not all from Mexico. What we do see as all legal immigrants is Russians and lots of them. With 10 kids in the family. They have everything in order - everyone has a Social Sec card, passport the works, and all on some form of government assistance. Most have made no effort to learn our language. Why is it so easy for Russians to get here legally and so difficult for Hispanics?

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
What we really need is a simple immigration system between the 2 countries.

Absolutely. Open the border. Allow free movement of people, goods and services in BOTH directions (with each country still allowed to have internal checkpoints for criminals, drugs etc as now).

Allow citizens of either country to live, work and invest in the other. With a residence qualification (a number of months) before you can claim local unemployment and social benefits.

The result would be increasing investment in Mexico (massive new market), raising the standard of living. And probably a large number of Americans moving south, especially those priced out of the country with healthcare etc.

The number of Mexicans going north would be large to start with. But with supply and demand, and increasing prospects back home, the number who would want to become expats would settle down to maybe similar to now. A lot of the "illegals" can't come and go easily, with free movement there would be less who feel they have to stay in case they can't get back.

And if anybody thinks this wouldn't work, it's happening already, in the European Union. It works. Some of the newer countries in the EU are poor, and there are many who leave those countries to work in richer ones, but they mostly save their money and then head home again to buy real estate and start a business at home, raising the standard of living there.

Quote:
Why is it so easy for Russians to get here legally and so difficult for Hispanics?

This may have been a limited thing during the fall of the Soviet Union, but Russian and Ukranian friends in New York told me there was a quota for "Russian Jews" to be allowed to come to the US bypassing the normal process. Lots of them signed up to "become Jewish" and then came to the US shortly after, many going to Brighton Beach: http://www.travelintelligence.net/wsd/articles/art_770.html
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. Open the border. Allow free movement of people, goods and services in BOTH directions (with each country still allowed to have internal checkpoints for criminals, drugs etc as now).

It would be so good to see this happen... how might we encourage our elected officials to move in this direction?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 08:24 PM

Riom, I like the sound of your idea.

However, would not the base pay (minimum wage) need to rise in Mexico and match ours first? Good pay in Mexico is 10 dollars a day, here it is 10 dollars an hour! THAT is why they flood north...

I would love to live and work in Mexico if I could, and afford to have the things I enjoy... Once my kids are adults.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It would be so good to see this happen... how might we encourage our elected officials to move in this direction?

Isnt that the way it is now? If everyone follows the rules? Why re-invent the wheel? Just enforce what on the books now.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.