Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mellow Mexican Eggs
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 11:59 AM
Mellow Mexican Eggs

I like eggs. But I hate the odor emitted after hard-cooking them.
That brings up some questions. Why do store bought eggs stink the worse. And why are yolks of the eggs I purchase in Mulege a pale yellow color.
I regularly receive fresh farm eggs from a neighbor gal. They are sometimes giant and sometimes small. The shells vary in color and some resemble dyed Easter eggs. They never have stinky yolks. They range in color from deep rich yellow to a washed pale look. They are absolutely delicious.
But then, so are the Mulege eggs. I like them also . They tend to be on the small side but when hard boiled they are perfect. No mucho stinkum. Is this typical elsewhere in Baja?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 05:49 PM

"Smell....it's about the method of cooking"

What?

------------

"On very rare occasions, a hard-cooked egg white may darken to a caramel shade due to a high amount of iron in the cooking water or to a carbonylamine-type reaction. Using fresh eggs and cooling them quickly after cooking helps to prevent this darkening."

? Yolk: color depends on the diet of the hen. If she gets plenty of yellow-orange plant pigments known as xanthophylls, they will be deposited in the yolk. Hens fed mashes containing yellow corn and alfalfa meal lay eggs with medium yellow yolks, while those eating wheat or barley yield lighter-colored yolks. A colorless diet, such as white cornmeal produces almost colorless yolks. Natural yellow-orange substances such as marigold petals may be added to light-colored feeds to enhance yolk color. Artificial color additives are not permitted. Gold or lemon-colored yolks are preferred by most buyers in this country. Yolk pigments are relatively stable and are not lost or changed in cooking.

Sometimes there is a greenish ring around hard-cooked egg yolks. It is the result of sulfur and iron compounds in the egg reacting at the surface of the yolk. It may occur when eggs are overcooked or when there is a high amount of iron in the cooking water. Although the color may be a bit unappealing, the eggs are still wholesome and nutritious and their flavor is unaffected. Greenish yolks can best be avoided by using the proper cooking time and temperature and by rapidly cooling the cooked eggs."

-----------

"Just a casualty of the water and heat...not to worry"

:lol: Interesting stuff, thanx Pompano

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 06:06 PM

Yer right, seems sometimes Iam talkin' to meself.:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 06:13 PM

the eggs we get here in the stores in Mulege are more than 1 month old win they come of the truck. when you brake them in the skillet they flatten out to about 7 inches in diameter. when I buy fresh eggs from the ranches the yoke sets up high and the white spreads to about 4 inches.

also refrigeration effects them allot.

the color is due to the amount of betacaratine in the diet of the hen the more betacaratine the Oranger the yoke.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 06:28 PM

We've had a dozen or more layers for years. Ours eat an organic layer mash, some corn scratch and all the bugs, leftovers and garden cliippings they can get.

We have a few different chickens and get a few different sizes and shades of brown and green eggs. They are always fresh, always a rich orange/yellow and they hold nice yolks when sunnysided.

It's the weeks and months in storage and transport that makes the yolks soften. Fresh is best !!

If you want to really gross out your friends, put some deep purple or lime green food coloring in your chicken's water for a few days. You'll get varying shades of purple, brown and green yolks. Weird !
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Greenish yolks can best be avoided by using the proper cooking time and temperature and by rapidly cooling the cooked eggs."

Correct. Simmer boil and time your eggs. For the perfect egg or if you're obsessive-compulsive, use Julia Child's recipe. :biggrin:

And the smell comes from hydrogen sulphide. When any egg is boiled, proteins which contain sulphur in the white of the egg break down and a hydrogen sulphide is formed. The fresher the egg, the less smell.

I love fresh hard boiled eggs. They're a b**ch to peel, though.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 07:16 PM

Oh my!!! I'm late on a food conversation... I hate it when that happens, but I was many miles from my computer...

Sharksbaja, I have a friend in Montana with those multi-colored eggs, and hers are the best too. Often the eggs in Loreto seem watery to me, with very thin whites. And they smell a little different than I expect, although there is nothing wrong with them. I've wondered why, and the conversation here makes me think it is lack of refrigeration.

Dave, there are a lot of theories on boiling eggs so they peel easily. A lot of salt in the water may help. Starting them in cold water and bringing them up slowly may help. Using eggs that are a few days old is also reccommended. I haven't had the problem for years, and I've stopped adding the salt, but heat them slowly and boil 'em gently. And I guess I usually boil eggs that have been in the fridge for a while.
Hope this helps.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 07:31 PM
I have heard that immediately plunging the hot eggs into cold water helps to release the shell.

I'm not sure it works. The best seems to refrigerate them for a couple of days. I also love pickled hard boiled eggs.
I'm lazy so when the dill pickle jar is empty, I just re-fill it with peeled boiled eggs. It's a nice change of pace.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 08:09 PM

"Dave, there are a lot of theories on boiling eggs so they peel easily."

"I have heard that immediately plunging the hot eggs into cold water helps to release the shell."

The only eggs I use in the restaurant are local hard cooked Chriss' eggs. They at one time were awesome for a store bought variety. Not nearly as good anymore., Used to get huge double yolkers regularily

Now, alas they are "regular". I always refridgerate the (dead) animals :lol:
immediately after cooking. ......Of course there is a secret to peeling an egg easily";)

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 08:30 PM

... and the secret is?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 09:05 PM
Ancient Chinese secret of peeling an egg.

#1: Start with a chicken egg of course.
#2: Boil for 10 minutes exactly, nothing more and nothing less
#3: Rinse under cold water until the shell is nice and cool.
#4: Place egg on counter top.
#5: Take one step back and make sure that your arms are extended above the egg.
#6: Get a comfortable, firm grasp of the egg.
#7: Gently tap egg on counter top with it still in your palm.
#8: Apply moderate pressure in order to expand the existing cracks.
#9: Continue with rolling action until the shell is cracked around it's circumference.
#10: Pick up egg with your left hand and with your right inner thumb, gently apply a pushing motion to slide shell fragments off.

TA-DA! Congratulations, you just peeled your first egg correctly. Now pat your back and read my 50 step instruction guide to boiling water.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Now pat your back and read my 50 step instruction guide to boiling water.

hmmmm.... easier to peel the egg than to boil the water... how many steps to devil the eggs?

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 09:18 PM

Oops, fergot; Never use a fingernail, it's the membrane that you don't want to exceed.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 09:43 PM
Is it green eggs and ham...or...

...eggs and green ham? I can never remember, however whenever I fix eggs and green ham, I can never get anyone to ask for 'seconds'...!:O

Tonight I've put on big pot of split pea soup, using what's left of our Easter Dinner Ham bits and a big bone!...Yummy, green stuff & ham... we'll be eatin' low on the 'hog' for the next several days!

BTW, old salts at sea keep their eggs 'fresh' for weeks without refrigeration by dipping them in a waterglass sealant solution - keeps the air away from em' - you've got to start with eggs that haven't been in a refrigerator yet...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2006 at 09:51 PM

Guys, I'm talking about absolutely fresh eggs...Like laid today. The egg is completely filled. No air space. It don't matter what you do to 'em.

They are impossible to peel.

But they sure are tasty!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 11:35 AM
Peeling fresh is even harder for me.

I much prefer soft-boiled eggs to hard-boiled. Cant get too forceful with them.

One thing you might try with the hard ones is to peel them under a stream of cold water. As you peel away sections, the water gets under the membrane and it makes it somewhat easier.

We always transfer our eggs to cold water but mostly because we have to stop the cooking process or we will end up with hard boiled.

Not sure if this is the Julia Child method but we place eggs in cold water, apply heat and begin timing when the water reaches a gentle boil; 1-2 minutes for soft boiled, three minutes for hard. I think I might have gotten it from an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Eggs almost never crack using this method.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 11:41 AM
Eggsperiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Guys, I'm talking about absolutely fresh eggs...Like laid today. The egg is completely filled. No air space. It don't matter what you do to 'em.

They are impossible to peel.

But they sure are tasty!

Yes they are. Hmmmm...no air space..... OK Dave yer on! Ill get some same day fresh ones lined up and I'll do a "real" experiment! I should make sure that they all come from the same hen. Uh......silly question is how often does a chicken lay one? I have to admit, I do run into an exceptionally stubborn one on occasion.:O

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 12:21 PM

Every morning I start a fire in the old washer drum and boil water for coffee. My neighbor shows up about the time the water is boiling with eggs he just pulled out of his chicken coop, as fresh as they get. And yes there is still a small air space in there. We put the eggs in a pot of cold water and bring to boil for about ten minutes or when the first cup of coffee is finished. Then we rinse them in cold water.
My neighbor cracks the shell of his eggs all over with a spoon, I just make a crack at the fat end of the egg. We both manage to get entire eggs out of the shell.
The water is from the tap and has a lot of clorine in it.
The fire is made from old construction scraps.
The egg pot is a titanium camping pot.
The coffee is instant.
The neighbor is old.
The chickens are happy.
Not sure if any of these things make the eggs more cooperative but it can't hurt.
burro bob
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 12:55 PM

"The chickens are happy"

I ask you "Now isn't that the most important thing?"

:lol::lol:

maybe not???

Ok.....:saint: "happy campers" is the most important thing!

[Edited on 4-20-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2006 at 01:24 PM

We had a rooster for a while but he was no gentleman.

Now we have a rooster "pin-up" on the wall of the coop !

They are happy !

If your chickens are friendly and sit when you approach, you can hold and squeeze them towards their rear ends and they love it. They get all fluffed up and strut around looking for a cigarette !

Our girls always have firm shells and firm yolks. They do have a small air space but they are ussually a b-tch to peel when hard boiled unless they are at least a few days old. Try refrigerating the fresh eggs overnight then plunging them into hot water as one of your tests Sharks.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.