Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cellphone in Baja
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 09:52 AM
Cellphone in Baja

I was just in southern Baja for few days and found that my Verizon cellphone worked great for calling back to the U.S. but I could not figure out how to make a call across the street in La Paz or Todo Santos. Does anyone know the secret?

Rick
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 10:25 AM

your best bet it to check with Verizon; we can't use our Sprint PCS phone to dial locally when in Baja.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
I was just in southern Baja for few days and found that my Verizon cellphone worked great for calling back to the U.S. but I could not figure out how to make a call across the street in La Paz or Todo Santos. Does anyone know the secret?

Rick
You might have a big surprise on your phone bill $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 12:22 PM

La Paz and Todos Santos are in a different area code but from my Cingular in CSL depending on if you dial a "hard line" or another "Cell" number you enter a 3 diget code then the city code and the number if I remember correctlly.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 12:44 PM

Verizon said that my calls back to the U.S. would be free. They said that if I have the "North America Plan" the calls would be on my normal billing of no extra charges for 700 minutes per month.

So I am not implying they are correct or necessarily honest, but my phone bill will be here soon and I will find out.

Rick
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
Verizon said that my calls back to the U.S. would be free. They said that if I have the "North America Plan" the calls would be on my normal billing of no extra charges for 700 minutes per month.

So I am not implying they are correct or necessarily honest, but my phone bill will be here soon and I will find out.

Rick
The N. american plan is different then the american choice plan. You should check to see what you have.:yes::yes::yes:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 08:22 PM

Used my Verizon cell in Rosarito and Ensenada all last weekend. To make a call to a Mexican number (even when you are in Mexico), you must first dial 011 52 then the local 3 digit area code, then the number. To call the US from Mexico, dial 001, the area code and then the number.

[Edited on 4-27-2006 by bajaguy]
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 10:15 AM

Sickres,
I have the "North America Plan" as well and it is free in certain areas, as long as it sayd "Extended Network". As far as local calls, you just need to dial the "local" area code and phone number
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 09:51 AM

We also have the Mexico and Baja extended plan
When you dial out of the area code your in you dial 01-area-number
To dial the US 001-area-number.
bajablue is right on the local calls. area and number
We have not had any extra charges, only if we go over our plan mins. We have used the new plan for three mths now.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:52 PM

We managed to get onto Cingular's North American Plan before they shut it down last year (apparently because of excessive fraud in Mexico). :saint:

We've been able to make calls to Mexican phones within Baja in the same way we do with our Mexican cell, just dial the 10 digit number.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
cathart
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyndarouh
We also have the Mexico and Baja extended plan
When you dial out of the area code your in you dial 01-area-number
To dial the US 001-area-number.
bajablue is right on the local calls. area and number
We have not had any extra charges, only if we go over our plan mins. We have used the new plan for three mths now.

Is that a Verizon plan? How much is it?
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 07:58 PM
Verizon in Mx

The plan Verizon recommended to me was called the "North American plan" I think. It was 700 minutes included with a charge of about $80 per month for two phones. There is no additional charges for any calls until you go over the 700 min. and includes all of America, Canada and Mexico (where available).
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:44 PM
Not a Heavy Phone User, But.................

Everytime this discussion comes up, I have the same advice. My primary U.S. Cellphone is ATT Wireless' lowest priced regional plan at $29.99 + Tax. It gives me 350 anytime minutes and unlimited off-hour minutes. Works great because it roams on Telcel's Network, BUT the rates to the U.S. were about $1.50 per minute and FROM the U.S. they added a $5.00 surcharge to each call.

The Solution ? I bought a TELCEL Prepaid Nokia Phone for $49.99 that came with 350 Pesos of credit to be used anywhere so the phone cost me 15 bucks. The per minute rates are good to the U.S. and next to nothing within Mexico. Adding a 100 peso card to the phone each 60 days maintains the account so the phone costs a minimum of $5.00 per month.

Of course, like I said, I don't use a lot of phone time. I can't figure out what most people find to talk about on the phone. I only use my phones when there is a need. Never for socializing.

No idea what the Telcels are going for right now, but they run specials constantly and there are Telcel vendors EVERYWHERE.
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 04:33 PM

Cathart, Yes we use Verizon, We have 4 phones on our plan, We are contractors in the back country of SD. 3 phones are just for bus while on the job. I use mine very little. We have like 1400 mins then more they add on for what ever. You might save money doing as MRBill said. It cost us 10.?? more a mth. Well worth it for us. Hubby likes me to have contact while I am in Baja alone. Which I am a lot. Before you do anything ck all the companys out and see what is the best for you. Verzion is the only cell company that really works in our area. We have little choice.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 09:34 PM
verizon plan

Signed up for the North American plan 2 years ago...Have been able to call out in Tijauna and Ensenada but no service in Loreto.

martin-o
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 09:56 PM

I got a Tel Cel phone last trip down. It was cheap and worked well where it worked. Service was very limited outside any city. As an example, there is no service south of the Pemex in Mulege, all the way to Loreto. Can't even get service 5 miles out of town.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 10:02 PM
cellphone trivia

One more thought about cellphones in Mexico was relayed to me from a guy who has a home in Mulege. His Verizon phone always worked there until he upgraded to a new all digital phone. Small towns are still analogue service only so he had to go back to an older style multi band phone that could provide service off an older analogue tower.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.