Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Border Crossing blocked today
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 01:42 PM
Border Crossing blocked today

A live report just came in today (Monday 1:30pm) that the US/Mexico border is blocked heading north at San Ysidro/Tijuana. They had an aerial shot of protesters blocking every lane and only a few cars waiting. Not one car was allowed to cross into the US. It also look like a couple Baja travelers were stucks as one guys was in a camper and aother guy was towing a boat.

Anyone heard anything else?

Ted

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 01:47 PM

I came thru Mexicali yesterday to avoid that possibility here. Don't know if they did though.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 01:56 PM

SAN DIEGO ? A nationwide day of pro-immigration protests Monday intermittently closed the border's busiest crossing point, caused numerous businesses to close their doors, reduced school attendance and turned some predominantly Latino neighborhoods into virtual ghost towns.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 02:43 PM

Just heard on local radio station (think it was 760) that a caller with a group against the immigration rallies is calling for a "Don't cross the border day" (he's referring to heading south into Mexico) next monday. There whole point was to let the Mexican government know how important the US economy is to them and their tourist trade.

Strange things happening. We'll see where this all goes.

Ted

bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 04:39 PM

These people are nutz! They can protest all they want and changes will still happen. Illegal imigration has got to be curbed and the flood of imigrants from where ever has to be slowed and controlled. They are really starting to get irritating...living and working in the US is a privilage not a right as the seem to think. Mexicos inability to run a country and provide for thier people is there problem not ours. :fire:

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 04:46 PM

Just saw on TV (4:40pm) that protesters are blocking the entrance into Mexico at San Ysidro. Of course they are on the US side of the border, but they have about 75-100 people blocking all the lanes. Doesn't this just hurt businesses in Baja or the people going home from work?

Another report stated that the "Mexican" communities in San Diego county are basically ghost towns with no one doing business, but the newscasters pointed out that these protests are hurting Latino businesses in their own neighborhoods.

I can understand protesting for certain rights, but they need to go about this the correct, legal way. Bajabum is right that we need to have rules about immigration here so this is the process and things will change.

Ted

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:10 PM

Methinks more than half have no idea exactly what and where they should protest. But hey, I guess it's better than making money. Wait a minit.....isn't that what they want to do???? I guess if you can afford to take the day off then you must be pretty damn comfortable in the U.S.. Sorry, I didn't realize....:rolleyes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:14 PM

I just don't get what part of ILLEGAL they don't understand.
Give me this and give me that...I never had anything handed to me and I'm a US citizen for crying out loud!!!~!!:?:

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 07:00 PM

Didn't presonally check this out, but was told when I was in El Centro today that the Walmart in Calexico was a ghost town - Now this store which was the biggest grosser per sq foot in the US befor they opened the Super Center is patroized by people from Mexico that come over legaly. (at least I guess so, they have their cars with Baja Ca plates on them )

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 08:02 PM

The real problem is not with the protestors ,the illegals and their supporters.

Yet.

The real problem is the nutless politicians that are selling out law abiding people that work and pay taxes like myself .

Take a few momments on your computer to write your elected officials .

Build the fence , get the border under 100% control , and then let's talk about immigration reform.

I , for one , do not feel represented , do you ?

Lero

ps : good statement cincodemayo. Funny, I feel as an American the last thing I want is a handout
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalero
The real problem is not with the protestors ,the illegals and their supporters.

Yet.

The real problem is the nutless politicians that are selling out law abiding people that work and pay taxes like myself .

Take a few momments on your computer to write your elected officials .

Build the fence , get the border under 100% control , and then let's talk about immigration reform.

I , for one , do not feel represented , do you ?

Lero

ps : good statement cincodemayo. Funny, I feel as an American the last thing I want is a handout

No, go after those that employ illegals and the problem will be solved. No jobs=no people seeking jobs

Zac

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 08:59 PM
Make us all Marshals?

Quote:

No, go after those that employ illegals and the problem will be solved. No jobs=no people seeking jobs

What is going to be the "new" role for employers. Hiring private investigators to insure that tax paying employees are documented immigrants or American citizens. Frankly, how is one to actually know? Does that also apply, to say, white or black people? ;D;D

The United States Social Security Administration, as a govt agency should be the litmus test. Shouldn't they know who is legit or not? After all isn't that one of the huge objections? That illegals are not paying taxes?
I don't feel I have the right, the tools , time , resources, money or a particular valid reason to check out employees that have a US ID card or license and SS number. WTF more can I ask for, a certified doc stating that the person is a bonafide legal admitee or citizen. So if I ask "are you an illegal?", to which they reply "no". Then what? Fingerprints, DNA?

On the same subject...... Why are there so few (uneducated or ?) Americans seeking the same jobs that Mexicans are willing to do? Also, with our minimum wage 2nd to highest wouldn't you think that would entice more seekers of income?

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 09:30 PM

How about a fm3, money in the bank snd a couple of months bank statments than open the border to those that can meet the standards that we must do
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 10:11 PM

The problem is that half the Republican party are working guys who jobs are threatened, and the other half is business owners who are getting rich off the illegals. Guess which half runs the Party?

The Salt Lake Tribune ran a story in its' business section about the Marriot Hotel's CEO claiming they (the management) were not criminals for hiring the illegals, and that they needed the foreign labor to conduct their business. These are the kind of people who are determining the immigration policy. Remember, an excess labor market is to their advantage, why should they limit it, it would only drive the price of labor up. They might end up hiring Americans again, and that would be too expensive. It's not about competing against other businesses as they would all be in the same boat, it's about profits. Paying a maid $6.00 and hour for cleaning your $150.00 per night hotel room is the only way they can make money? I don't think so, it's just that their so greedy they don't want to pay $12.00 and hour, they rather have that extra $6.00 in their pocket than hire and American. These business men are the real "Patriots" who run the Republican Party.

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by bajarich]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 11:16 PM
Bajarich...are you sure?

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
The problem is that half the Republican party are working guys who jobs are threatened, and the other half is business owners who are getting rich off the illegals. Guess which half runs the Party?

What a crock. Can you say that in all honesty? Seems like u too are doing some serious generalizing.

In this town today.....

Maybe the owners of the corporate hotels and chain restaurants that gave their employees the day off and shut down today are Republicans but I personally resent your bias statement.

Personally, I don't acknowledge today as a legitimate excuse not to work.

Rich, are you familiar with the service or retail biz?Seems you should have more consideration as to who (really)suffers from this decades long conundrum. I realize that this(my) industry is losing to the corps just like many others that start out small and make it good. Bought up by the big boys. Eliminate the competition....pretty simple formula. These are the stores that have such huge profits and deep pockets that their bottom line is....well....exactly that, the bottom line.

They see more profits by playing liberal politics.( I'm not a lib or a conserv)

All us other earnest hard working individuals (regardless of party) are overwelmed by being guilty by association.

In a market today you either need to be one of those huge corps or small enough to roll with the punches. Don'tr forget, only 10% of new restaurants stand a chance of surviving the first 3 years...... now ask me why!:O

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 11:18 PM

Hmmm...

I agree with Sharksbaja, and that the job of protecting America from invasion is the federal government's.

Employers are not supposed to discriminate or racial profile anyone they hire, right?

We are supposed to offer equal opportunity to all, right?

How is it that now employers are supposed to forget that and go as far as to question the legal status of someone based on his appearance or ethnic habits!

Where's the ACLU??

There is NOT SUPPOSED to be anyone here illegally, because the federal government is supposed to insure the security of the United States.

Why punish people who provide jobs, goods and services when it is the border that is not doing what is intended of it.

On an extreme point of arguement, say the employers all suddonely fired everyone who couldn't prove their legal status... what would happen to all those people (including women and children who live off the income that is halted)??? Would you just watch them fill the streets, die of hunger, etc.???

Would legal, unemployed people instantly replace all those fired workers so the business productivity didn't suffer??? The unemployment level is at near historic lows for the past 30 years... There's probably not be enough workers to replace the illegals?!

Hmmm???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 12:50 AM

I have to ask......

Try as I might to keep out of this whole debate I have to ask.....

Why don't all of you non-Native Americans just go the heck home?!

I mean REALLY.......WHAT? Squatters rights????

And what? Legalize the 20 million (that is what my home news is telling me) to keep cheap labor? What disrespect! And what, legalize that cheap labor that we all seem to "depend on".....okay, what then? They earn OUR wages.......No more "cheap" produce?

I know at least a few on this board that rely on Mexican workers to help them do what they need to be done, and still talk about "Ileagales"

Sheesh! {America, love it OR GET THE HECK OUT)
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 06:23 AM

It is the federal gov't job, but they are the ones who are so beholden to big business that they won't do it. The gov't turns a blind eye so that this excess labor market is maintained. The Mexicans flock north because there are better opportunities and as long as business wants it like that it will happen. The gov't isn't listening to the people who are hurt. Companies in turn, turn a blind eye to who they are employing and don't want any part of the blame, when in fact, it is they who have created the demand. It is a supply and demand problem. If you dried up the supply of jobs for illegals, they would quit comming. and to do that you need to get tough on employers. Fat chance!
Arrowheadbaja
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:07 AM

There is a simple reason that unskilled, uneducated Americans are not willing to take low paying jobs, because the government pays them more to stay home and have babies. How else could all those unemployed people be able to live in places like New Orleans? Stop all the entitlements, and people would be more willing to work.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hmmm...

I agree with Sharksbaja, and that the job of protecting America from invasion is the federal government's.

Employers are not supposed to discriminate or racial profile anyone they hire, right?

We are supposed to offer equal opportunity to all, right?

How is it that now employers are supposed to forget that and go as far as to question the legal status of someone based on his appearance or ethnic habits!

Where's the ACLU??

There is NOT SUPPOSED to be anyone here illegally, because the federal government is supposed to insure the security of the United States.

Why punish people who provide jobs, goods and services when it is the border that is not doing what is intended of it.

On an extreme point of arguement, say the employers all suddonely fired everyone who couldn't prove their legal status... what would happen to all those people (including women and children who live off the income that is halted)??? Would you just watch them fill the streets, die of hunger, etc.???

Would legal, unemployed people instantly replace all those fired workers so the business productivity didn't suffer??? The unemployment level is at near historic lows for the past 30 years... There's probably not be enough workers to replace the illegals?!

Hmmm???

Sorry, but this is a crock. Employers have been obligated to verify the legal status of ALL employees for years. I believe the law was passed when Reagan was president.

That's the law, plain and simple. Different propaganda coming from all sides, but it seems very few are making sense because they have an agenda.

This is a country of laws. As someone who was born and raised elsewhere, I can tell you that it is probably the single biggest asset this country has. So, if you don't like the law, change it. If you are in the minority and can't, you are nonetheless obligated to live by it. Pointing fingers at others and saying that they are not doing their job and it's their fault just doesn't work, at least in my book.

The common sense is:

1. Enforce the borders and immigration quotas.
2. Enforce the employement laws and prosecute employers who ignore them.
3. We are not going to be able to deport 11+ MILLION people, regardless of anything else, it ain't gonna happen. So, some way of dealing with them must be found, like it or not. Let's try to make sure that it doesn't happen again and we have 40 million in another 20 years.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.