BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fuel Frenzy, Petrol Panic, Gasolina Gossip ?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 01:19 PM
Fuel Frenzy, Petrol Panic, Gasolina Gossip ?

Listening to the Marine Radio, I'm hearing all sorts of talk about 30 minute + lines at the gas pumps in San Felipe. Rumors are abundant regarding some sort of strike, blockage, blockade, etc set for the holiday weekend. One person said they had called a friend in Mexicali and they said there were panic lines there, too.
Anyone have anything to add to the rumor mill ?

"When in doubt, PANIC" !
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 01:45 PM

I heard the taxi drivers in Mexicali blocked the entrance to the Pemex terminal, west of Mexicali, in protest of the higher gas prices Pemex charges it retailers, near the border, I believe within 20 km of the border. They did a taxi border blockade in Mexicali about two weeks ago and the prices were lowered but apparently not enough.

I just got back from getting gas in San Felipe and there are lines at all stations. I don't know how much storage capacity the four stations have but I wouldn't doubt they will run out soon. The stations are suppose to be closed Friday.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
Nothing that I have heard in Ensenada about Gas. The only strike I am aware of started at noon today. The teachers at the girls school went on strike wanting their second raise in 5 months.

Thanks for the info on the 10/100 routers Bill.

10/100 routers? Does this refer to the 10/100 trucker lingo as in '@#$ty router' or as in the speed 10/100?

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
10/100 router for internet connections using more than one computer.

Cheapest one I have found here is at Costco for 9 X the cost of one in the states.

Yeah, and they wonder why we bring that equipment from the States:lol::lol::lol::lol:
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 03:00 PM
worn out

Is that dog a Brittany?:?::?:
wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Is that dog a Brittany?:?::?:

Yep, its' not mine but I couldn't find anything better that looked 'wornout'.

I got that picture in a memo (form of communicating jokes before the internet) over 20 years ago and scanned it a month or so ago.

wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
10/100 router for internet connections using more than one computer.

Cheapest one I have found here is at Costco for 9 X the cost of one in the states.

I know what you mean, Walmart Mexicali has them for somewhere around $50 for a ...54G. The price dropped quite a bit now that the 54N routers are shipping. I hooked up two 54G routers here in San Felipe last Monday.

From a newsletter I receive: The first "draft-N" routers have shipped from Buffalo, Linksys and Netgear over the last two weeks, and the early reports are not positive for this new Wi-Fi generation. While 802.11n promises speeds of 300-600Mbps, the standard is still in preliminary form and is not expected to be final until sometime next year, with certified products following. That hasn't stopped vendors eager for a slice of the lucrative MIMO router pie from rushing products to market that supposedly conform to the "draft" 802.11n standard.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 03:19 PM

about the gas

here is a link ti the Imperial valley pressw regaridng the gas stuff
http://www.ivpressonline.com/articles/2006/05/03/news/news03...

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
I just got back from getting gas in San Felipe and there are lines at all stations. I don't know how much storage capacity the four stations have but I wouldn't doubt they will run out soon. The stations are suppose to be closed Friday.
Why would they close gas stations on friday.:?::?:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 08:44 PM
Routers

Sorry, but I just have to ask.

What applications are you using where you would possibly be concerned about the latest and greatest standard for Wireless routers ? Most of the uses for us outside the corporate world are using a router to connect multiple computers to our DSL or other Broadband Internet connections. The 802.11b standard provides for 11Mbps transfer rate. My DSL at home (Verizon Econo rate) is 768Kbps max. The standard DSL is 1.5Mbps usually. That makes the 802.11b capable of approx 8 or 13 times the DSL rate.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 07:48 AM

The possibilty of Stations closing on Friday as they just may run out of gas if they have not already?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 05:05 PM

Came into Mex. today via Los Algodones. Could see nothing closed for this holiday, Cinco de Mayo. Also all gas stations I passed were open and pumping fuel. Stopped at my regular fueling place in Mexicali and filled up with diesel. They were pumping regular but were out of premium. Premium was 8.8?, regular 8.28 and diesel 5.16. Saw signs (Decals) on taxis about lowering price of gasoline.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Sorry, but I just have to ask.

What applications are you using where you would possibly be concerned about the latest and greatest standard for Wireless routers ? Most of the uses for us outside the corporate world are using a router to connect multiple computers to our DSL or other Broadband Internet connections. The 802.11b standard provides for 11Mbps transfer rate. My DSL at home (Verizon Econo rate) is 768Kbps max. The standard DSL is 1.5Mbps usually. That makes the 802.11b capable of approx 8 or 13 times the DSL rate.

I am not concerned about the latest greatest as I know we will not be able to use them down here for years, maybe more than that, what I was making reference to is how the price of the last generation dropped upon shipment of the newest stuff. Same ole story.

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 5-6-2006 at 10:30 PM
bajalou, where

Textbaja lou where is Los Algodones crossing? And where are you, we are retiring this years and plan on moving to Mexico full time any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 07:34 AM

Los Algodones is 7 miles west of Yuma AZ. (Andrate is the US side name) I find it's a nice easy crossing but not to be used with large vehicles - motorhomes or trailers as it has a couple sharp turns. The highway then leads to Mexicali or San Felipe or even San Luis Rio Colo. Los Algodones is a town built around medical services - Docotors, dentist, optomitrists and pharmacies. Very good and reasonably priced services.

No Bad Days

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.