BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: laguna to bay,whatta you say?
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 11-16-2003 at 03:51 PM
laguna to bay,whatta you say?

I have a VW camper and I would like to visit Laguna San Ignacio and then drive along the coast to Mag Bay,is this possible?or do I have to drive the long way? thanks in advance
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2003 at 04:31 PM

I've driven from San Ignacio to the end of the laguna recently and it was wide and occasionally graded but heavy washboard. From Laguna San Ignacio to La Purisima I haven't driven for 20 years but I hear it's improved. If you have the new Baja Almanac, check pages 35 and 38. It shows the entire road, from the town of San Ignacio to La Purisima as a "primary rural route." Of course if you want to cruise right along the water you will find lesser roads and I have no knowledge of them. VW Bugs and Vans were the primary transportation for Gringos in Baja before they paved it.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2003 at 04:39 PM

http://www.scorpionbay.net/indexmain.html

This site has a bbs where folks may have posted info on the road(s) in question. From what I know you should travel with a buddy vehicle and be prepared for everything. Also it can be difficult to follow the correct path at times.

Have Fun and let us know how it went!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2003 at 05:46 PM
EGL: Thanks for the data

I went to your link and read their verbal description of the route Bajagrouper is talking about. Mary Ann and I took it in the mid '70's and it was nowhere near as bad as the description, which was written almost tongue in cheek. MA and I were alone in our old Land Cruiser and I never went into 4WD.

Anyway, the more certain route is from the south. The more daring is from Laguna San Ignacio.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.