Author: Subject: US/Mexico Border
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

eureka.gif posted on 5-15-2006 at 05:20 PM
US/Mexico Border

What would you favor?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
What would you favor?
You made it work. Good questions but you can only vote on one. Your questions should be split up into three categories.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 06:04 PM

What would I do?

First, I'd recognize that a government and its political leaders must recognize the limits of power, prioritize, and make difficult choices. In other words, you can't cut taxes, go on scavenger hunts for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and throw up walls across the border and throw a buch of inexperienced reserve troops at the border for two week tours. These guys spend money like LBJ. Is that a Texas thing?

Second, I'd recognize that the engine that drives this migration is jobs. We are hiring Mexican immigrants, legal or otherwise. Yet I hear more talk of harsher legal penalties against the Mexicans than Americans who hire them. Once again, make a choice: do we want this source of cheap labor to continue, or do we want it substantially reduced? If we want to reduce it, be prepared to live with the economic, and political, consequences of higher costs, inflation, possible interest rate hikes by the Fed, etc. And do you really believe any action will reduce the fiscal demands of education? Welfare? Medical costs? I'll believe that when I see it.

Third, should we decide to reduce immigration, apply pressure at a stategic choke point. That's not a long border. It's the people that hire illegal immigrants. Bust them, and don't settle with corporations with bogus "consent decrees" and token fines. Put CEOs in jail. Or maybe put them on border guard duty.
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 5-15-2006 at 10:46 PM

AL G if you edited your poll to include: Pass meaningful immigration reform that makes it more worthwhile to cross legally than illegally, or "closed border" for short

Quote:
It's the people that hire illegal immigrants. Bust them, and don't settle with corporations with bogus "consent decrees" and token fines. Put CEOs in jail. Or maybe put them on border guard duty. (posted by don alley)

then I'd hit that.

So I can't choose any of your above poll choices.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 03:30 AM

Don: Your Poll was taken, with reservations, as the Answer to the Problem is a Combination.
Build the Fence-Get control-Deal with the Criminals-Treat the remaining people with Dignity. This I propsed a couple of months ago.

I detect in your Post that you are somewhat Predgeidous aganist the people who Hire Illegals.

Here in the Great State of Texas-The Texas Panhandle- There are many jobs going unfilled; I have talked to several businees in the past week who are going out of business from lack of good people to Work-Americans and Mexicans.
There are no American Jobs being taken by Mexicans-that is Media BS as well as Political BS.
I challegene you to Prove to this board these group of americans that have lost their Jobs!

Go to the Malls check out what some of our Youth are doing with their Spare Time!

Here in Texas There are many jobs going begging because there is no one to do those Jobs-Mexican or American.

In addiction to building the Fence, Controlling our borders, something should be done about the American Popluace and the Drug Use which drives the illegall Drug Traffic!!!!

Please send anyone who wants a Job to me here in Amarillo. We have many jobs!

Skeet/Loreto
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 08:56 AM

Third, should we decide to reduce immigration, apply pressure at a stategic choke point. That's not a long border. It's the people that hire illegal immigrants. Bust them, and don't settle with corporations with bogus "consent decrees" and token fines. Put CEOs in jail. Or maybe put them on border guard duty.

Don, that is fine if we just could find out where the illegals are working but the real answer is that they are moving throughout the US. They do not stay close to the border but disperse all over the US. Almost every state has a population. I have a friend in North Dakota who tells me they are showing up with a great regularity, finding jobs, and working.

The need for unskilled CHEAP labor is very, very strong and as long as that need is so strong, entreprising people will find a way to get around all of the bueracracy to accomplish that. We don't have to look very far back to see the fiasco of prohibition to understand that fact. So until we understand the base of the problem we will have a real challenge getting a handle on the situation. The idiot bueracrats who have passed all of the laws requiring minimum wages instead of allowing a free enterprise natural market to develop have created some of the problem. Everybody hollers about a liveable wage, health insurance, fringe benefits, 401k's, retirement, and all of that when a small businessman like a farmer or rancher needs someone on a short term basis to assist in planting or harvesting. Since his profit margin is already so small, he can't be burdened or afford to pay for the extra benefits, but bureacrats pass these laws and burdens on the small business person with no thought to economics or profit margins. Egads, this starts to sound like the same idea that led to slavery.
Now, if we were to truly take a look at the situation and admit that we could really use a cheaper labor supply and pull our head out of the sand for just a little while, we might find that if we simplified and legalized the supply of cheaper labor, we might find that it would be a win-win situation for everyone involved. Obviously, those people who are presently risking life and limb for an opportunity to work here, would find that there is a legal, safe, and sane way to come here to work. They would be a part of the system and would have to pay their way in terms of taxes and participation. And as they learned the system of free enterprise, they might be able to take some of that home with them and invest and develop their own communities.
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 01:23 PM

Villadelfin, Bravo................
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2006 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

I detect in your Post that you are somewhat Predgeidous aganist the people who Hire Illegals.

Skeet/Loreto

No, not really. It's just that in a climate where the US House has passed a bill to make the illegals felons, it seems proportional to hold the employers more accountable too.

Personally, I think as long as there are jobs, we should allow immigrants to take them. The fact that so many illegal immigrants are finding work may suggest that legal quotas are not set high enough to meet demand for workers.

All this legal and illegal immigration helps supress the cost of labor, which in turn keeps prices (infaltion) lower and that helps keep interest rates lower, which keeps mortgage rates low which keeps the housing market strong which is driving our economy.

But if some feel that it would be better to let wages go up, and for that and other reasons want to close the border and reduce immigration...whatever. I can agree to disagree with that, maybe I could even agree, but so far the plans I hear to implement a "more secure border" sound to me like political rhetoric mixed with a dash of fiscal irresponsibility.

Hey, Happy Birthday!
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 07:38 PM
Border

That's it? No more votes?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.