Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bajamar golf
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 09:23 AM
Bajamar golf

Has anyone golfed Bajamar? Any suggestions for keeping your ball out of the ocean??? Any other suggestions?:cool:
deltabighat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 10:33 AM
golf

Its been a few years but I have played the original course several times and it was marvelous. Baja Mar's fortunes thru the years have risen and fallen but the golf always seems to be good with good upkeep and management of the course. I keep the ball out of the water by throwing my driver in the water and teeing off with a mid iron. Sometimes you can tell the condition of the course by checking to see if there is water in the fountain outside the clubhouse and if there is water in the pond by the ninth green. Have fun

DBH
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Red
Has anyone golfed Bajamar? Any suggestions for keeping your ball out of the ocean??? Any other suggestions?:cool:

1. Aim WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY left.

2. Play only the Lagos and Vista nines. ( watch out for lakes and snakes!)

3. Keep your head down (so you don't see the splash) then tell your opponent it must of gone in that gopher hole.

4. Do what I do- drink enough Sangre de Maria's that you don't give a rats ass!!
:lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 01:44 PM

Matthew,
Such wonderful and correct advise. Have you worn the shirt?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 06:30 PM

Bernie, Yes I have worn the shirt!!! With honor and pride!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

MAGA

Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 10:47 AM
Bajamar golf Scotch and Cigars

elgatoloco...Thanks for the information. sounds like you and I are about the same kind of golfers! I usually "hit it and hope"!!We are planning on playing 36 holes a day on Monday and Tuesday with a break between 18's for lunch and a couple of ice cold Pacifico's. :cool:
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 10:50 AM
What shirt?

Baja Bernie...what shirt are you refering too? Did you get my check for your book? (I am assuming that you are the one that put it together) Have you ever golfed Bajamar? Have a nice day!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 11:40 AM

Baja Red - Have fun!!

Bajamar is a great place to play golf. The ocean holes are especially beautiful. We have seen Grey Whales with babies in so close that you could have hit them with a well-sliced tee shot. One afternoon we watched a good sized seal struggle to eat a VERY large octopus right at the surface just past the surfline. He got it down. We have seen dozens of snakes over the years , but, much fewer recently, so be sure and take a three iron into the scrub with you when searching for your partners ball. One day my father and I spent about a half hour retrieving balls from one of the lakes and ended up with over 150 , mostly new ones at that. We gave them to one of the local workers kids so he could sell em back to the cruise ship guys when they pull in on the bus. I can remeber playing there in the 80's and paying $10.00 US for a cart and 18 holes. We made our own local rules 1) if you found a patch of weed on the fairway within fifty feet of your ball and it was't a whole lot closer to the hole you could place it there (do to a complete lack of fairway growth 300+ yard drives were common place) 2) If you went into the cactus looking for your ball and found at least three others you could drop in the fairway no penalty 3) if after striking a ball it ended up behind you you had to buy the next round

In the early 90's, before the Ocean course I was playing on an amatuer tour and talked them into playing a weekend tourney there. The first day the guy I was riding in the cart with teed off on the very first hole of the Lagos nine where you have to hit over a small lake and hit 5 straight bals in the water, each shot worse then the next as he struggled, he ended up with a 17 on that par 5, but to his credit he showed up to play the next day.

Hit em Straight!!!!!!

MAGA

Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 12:34 PM
Too funny!

I am sitting here reading this and laughing my a** off. I can so picture the scenario (mostly because I have lived it!!) It will be my friends first trip to Baja. I have been going there for about 20 years. My "X" inlaws have a house in Punta Chivato. I was more upset about losing the vacation spot more than my X wife!! ha! Do you have any suggestions (besides Puerto Nuevo) for a good place to eat/drink? Thanks for the golf story.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 01:25 PM

Places to eat. Depends how far you want to travel.

Just a short drive north from Bajamar there is La Fonda and La Palapa de Jose. If you have a fondness for red meat I suggest La Fonda you won't leave there hungry that's for sure and the view from the patio is nice especially at sunset. La Palapa has really good mexican style shrimp c-cktails and a new menu that features some pastas and stuff. After 36 holes you probably want to stay local but If you want to venture into Ensenada the choices are practically endless!!

disclaimer re: La Fonda - some have posted about troubles they have had there, and I have no reason to doubt the veracity of their claims as you know chit happens, vis a vis overcharges and short changing, etc. We (my extended family) have had 100's-1,000's if you count each dinner ordered by each person each time we go there - of meals there over the years and have not had ANY problems. As always when in an unfamiliar place use caution. That said La Fonda still remains my first recommendation for dinner in that area. The Sunday brunch is a regular food orgy as well(not to mention all you can drink bloody marys). If you go there during the day the big red rooster's name is Harlan, named after my father. :)

MAGA

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 02:42 PM
Elgatoloco...

I sense a story behind the rooster named after your dad. Care to share?

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 05:00 PM

Our family has had a house in Baja Norte since 1960 and my father has been eating at La Fonda since before Dimitri owned it. It is arguable that my father is Dimitri?s most loyal patron and try as we might we can almost NEVER get him to go elsewhere when we are down there. Occasionally we drag him to some new great find and he enjoys it but inevitably he will mutter some thing or another about ?Well that was good but?? the portions were not as big as ?the view was not as nice as?the band didn?t sound as great as?.. My father is the first to admit that La Fonda doesn?t hit the mark 100% of the time, maybe only 99.9%, but ?the ambience, that view, the ocean, the sunsets, and the margaritas, the size of the steaks!!.......He just loves the place.

Right after Dimitri re-opened in what is/was his house my father was one of his first customers when he stopped by on his way down to Bajamar to golf and noticed a sign out in front of Dimitri?s house saying OPEN. Just as Dimitri put down a nice omelet that he had just cooked for my father for breakfast, served on what is/was Dimitri?s patio, D?s pet rooster, the big red one jumped right up onto the table right into the middle of the plate. My father smacked the rooster off the table and told Dimitri if he did not get that thing out of his sight he would personally see too it that it never crowed again and what did he think he was doing running an establishment with poultry jumping all over customers and?..My father is 6?4? with red hair (the part that?s not white). His nickname is the rock because he is quiet and reserved and he is a man of few words, the type that people tend to listen to when they talk. Dimitri later told us that he, after all these years had never seen our dad so angry.

That night my father returned for dinner with our ?other mother?, his companion of the last 18 years and Dimitri told her the story of what had transpired that morning. As she barely held back a laugh she asked Dimitri if the rooster had a name and he said ?Of course, his name is Harlan.? Since that day my father has discovered a liking for rooster?s that he did not know he had.

MAGA

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-19-2003 at 05:20 PM

EGL having met your father and greatly enjoyed his company I am laughing my ass off imagining the scene. Thanks for sharing.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 09:22 AM
Harlen

Thanks for the story. That is too funny. I have been to La Fonda but not lately and have read + and - about the place. I have consumed a few margis and bloody marys there on the patio. There is a La Palapa a block south of Mulege...Are they related? Thanks again for the info and stories....the "good" part of this board!! I too have red hair so I am sure that your Dad and I would get a long...us red-heads stick together!!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 10:01 AM

The Palapa's are not related.

If you have not been to the Nuevo La Fonda you should give it a try.

I too am sure you and my father would get along. Common interests alone- golf,Baja,golf,margaritas,golf,bloody marys,golf

My dad is 79 years young and plays golf 3-4 times a week when he's not travelling the world. He plays Bajamar a lot! He will drive down from his pad in San Diego for the day sometimes. On his 70th birthday we actually threw him a big surprise party in the tower room above the course, his golf buddies talked him in to going up after a round and when he got off the elevator he was SURPISED big time, family and friends from all over the country were there and it was a fantastic party. We had made a deal with the course manager for a years worth of golf and gave Dad a 'Membership Card' with the Bajamar logo and member number 000000001 on it. Fun times!

Have a great time and let us know how it went!!!

VIVA MEXICO!

MAGA

Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 11:04 AM
Golf "Gulf" Golf

I hope that I can golf 3 to 4 rounds a week when I am 79. That is so great that your Dad is still so active and he sounds like a real character and likeable guy. That would be real funny if I ran into him at Bajamar. If he is 6'4" with red hair I am sure that he would be easy to find!! Starting Monday I am on vacation for 2 weeks but I will fill you in when I get back. Thanks for all of your info re: Restaurants, golf , and stories. BR

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.