BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Anyone wanna lift down Baja??
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

thumbup.gif posted on 11-18-2003 at 05:08 PM
Anyone wanna lift down Baja??

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this... I am looking for someone to share expenses with me in my truck and camper for a trip down Baja. I plan to leave Victoria BC about the beginning of Jan (or?)... Could pick up or meet someone along the way in Canada or US. Must like dogs, as I take along my little Baja Perros. I have done the trip a bunch of times. Might be fun to have someone share the adventure. I will be stopping (and all this is open to change) at La Bufadora(La Jolla), San Quintin(Rancho Cielito Lindo), Mulege (El Requeson), Agua Verde, La PAz (Tecolote) and so on, probably down to Los Cabos (El Tule) and then up the East Cape to Los Frailles(to catch a Dorado or two) then onto Cabo Pulmo for a few days or more. Do a litte fishin' (Have boat), do a little diving and snorkeling, do alot of exploring etc. Male or female...I am of the latter gender. must like Carmelita's Tomales:P I'd prefer a non-smoker:smug:

[Edited on 11-21-2003 by frizkie]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 08:48 PM

That sounds like a great trip! Every place you named as a stop is a winner in my book! I hope you find a rider...

Have fun driving down 'the' Baja, eh!:tumble:

[Edited on 11-19-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 09:51 PM
Drivin down the Baja

Thanx David. I love your site with the pictures posted. Kool of you to take the time to do that!! Thanx alot...and if you hear of anyone needing a lift lemme know.
By the way we don't say "EH!!" on the West Coast of Canada. Giggle..Ya crazy GRINGO Did you know that Canadians are not refered to as gringos in Baja? Only you Yanks have the privilege of that one. Tee! Hee!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 10:17 PM
Eh!

Atta girl Friz ! Dogs eh ? Don't need a ride but sounds like you may be a fun one to run into somewhere along the way.

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 10:46 PM

Thanks for the kind words... you're not a hoser, eh?

What you West Canadians do say is 'THE' Baja... as in "driving down the Baja"... it's cool, but I know it bugs some people...

Gringo is definately for us yanks... Some say it comes from the song sung my our marines during the Mexican War*: "Green Grow the Rushes, O"... 'Green Grow'... :)

* Known as the 'American Invasion', in Mexico.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2003 at 11:06 PM
Oooooops!! Gotta watch that!!

Well, David, then I'd better be careful with "THE" Baja. Don't wanna bug some people..Tee!! Hee!! Thanx for that tip.

And SKi....That picture of you on skis, could you tell me where it was taken exactly? I heard, a few years ago, of someone doing a bit of a ski somewhere in Baja. I am an avid skier and an ex-instructor from Whistler ... I would be ecstatic if I could ever get a picture of myself with my ski gear on and in snow while in "the" (Oooops!! Oh My God!! Typo!! Typo!!) I mean I while in Baja. That would be the best of all worlds!!:bounce:
yakfish
Banned

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 12:03 AM
dont forget

to stop at Cabo Pulmo. we drove down to LaPaz. last July stopped at all the places you mentioned and MagBay too. Then drove to Cabo San Lucas couldnt get out fast enough. The place we liked the most was Cabo Pulmo camped on the beach south end I cant remember the name of the beach. there is a sign at the turn off about a mile south of town. best snorkeling, coral reef right there 30 yards from shore runs for about a mile and a half along the beach. " Unbelievable" have fun & Drive safe:spingrin:
tjgringo

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 04:12 PM
David:::

:)you mentioned a variation of one of the two most popular "explanations" for the origin of the word GRINGO. You wrote: "Gringo is definately for us yanks... Some say it comes from the song sung my our marines during the Mexican War*: "Green Grow the Rushes, O"... 'Green Grow'... " THIS Explanation (WHICH IS INCORRECT, :( incidentally, see below) has two other variations I have heard of, "green coat" and "green go" referring to either Texas ranger or U.S. army coats, or commands shouted out while soldiers marched in green uniforms. Time placement in these green stories is usually the war in 1846-1848, the chasing after Pancho Villa in 1915(?), or the bombardment and occupation of Veracruz in 1914(?) watch out I am quoting those dates from Memory which is ALWAYS dangerous ;)

PERSONALLY I much prefer your mentioned version of green grow the rushes, o... it is Magnificently Poetic....

UNFORTUNATELY the word "gringo" already had existed for a hundred years or more before the U.S. invasion in 1846, and was even published in a Spanish dictionary of the 1700s, according to authorities who have searched for it in old books etc., and then been quoted on http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/gringo.htm, http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20000821.html, http://www.marrder.com/htw/jan97/editorial.htm

sorry

But of course this does not mean the US soldiers did not sing that song, oh no, they probably did sing the song, and maybe even some of THEM believed that was why the Mexicans called them gringos, eh?

And just as much of course, the story about green grow or green go or green coat will NEVER die... it is already a blurban legend (I just now made up the word, Bluban heh heh...

behold the birth of another legend.......

thanks you to

oh... yeh....

from GRIEGO for people who cannot speak the language and are foreigners

it's all greek to me

like that

whazamatta? doncha think words get respelled by da' peoples? oh yeh. griego can E.Z.ly change to gringo

varrio barrio vato bato

Chevy Suburban is a Very SuperVan hehehehe

okei bai
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 04:43 PM
David.....

you might also want to know that Northwesteners are not refered to as "Yanks" that is reserved for Northeners east of the Mississippi. :)
frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 05:05 PM
Debra

Don't blame David for the "Yanks" remark that was me, Frizkie, the "Canuck" And I realize Northwesterners are not really "Yanks" ...I just didn't know how to spell "Confederates" Tee! Hee! Anyways, they're both pretty special in my books...especially the Baja bound ones.

The origins of the term Gringo is very interesting...Thanx for that guys!!

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:
Neal Cox

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 05:34 PM

Interesting post, and at the risk of offending an new member (frizkie), I live in the extreme NW corner of the good old USA and in my first hand experience, West Coast Canadians are very liberal in their use of the term "eh", pronounced as a long "a". Having said that, I don't know what difference it makes as we all have regional and cultural idioms we use. Right now I wish I was in "the Baja".

Cheers
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 06:17 PM
Frizkie.....

Quote from David "Gringo is definately for us Yanks"

I had to razz him, (he's a pal) I'll wait until I get to know your before I tease you. Have a great trip!

BTW, David check your spelling of definitely....:) :spingrin: :P

[Edited on 11-21-2003 by Debra]
frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2003 at 09:59 PM
Yakfish

Yes, Thanx for mentioning Cabo Pulmo. I think I know the beach you mean. Is it the last road on the left as you're heading towards LosFrailles from Cabo Pulmo? And you drive in and pass the little rancho on the left just before you hit the beach?? When you're standing on the beach you are actually looking up the shoreline towards Cabo Pulmo and the sand banks are on your left? I love that spot..hear there's a few langosta around there too. Just to observe of course:o Yes I will definitely spend a few days there as well. And then on to "Mayor Vern's Camp", Los Frailles. Gotta git' me another Dorado this year. Will we see ya there?
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2003 at 01:48 PM

Hey, Debra, I'm from Whidbey Island (practically your neighbor), but didn't know I wasn't a Yank. What are we, then? Puget Sounders? Don't like the sound of that!

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 11-22-2003 at 12:46 AM
Eh, Frizkie - isn't Los Frailles great, or what?

We miss it a lot, visited a few times but not for three years. I think the well has been taken out by huricanes at least twice since then. Did you ever meet Don Raphael, sadly gone now for more than three years, at the Ranchero? What a great dinner they could provide, with Big Verne doing the arrangements in camp. And we always came back home with the Ranch's honey - simply out of this world. Have a good trip, and happy trails!
frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 11:30 PM
Wellll Dave, that's a deep subject

Actually the well was flowing just fine last January..mucho agua. Not drinkable by my standards but apparently some people were drinking it, and it was fine for the ol' shower bag.

Don Raphael ? No, I am sad to say that I never got to know him. I met him once though, about four years ago and would've liked to have gotten to know him better. He sure had a bright twinkle in his eye, didn't he?

Yes, "Big Verne" is still ruling the roost there, a little too heavy handed for my liking.. but to each his own. When someone threatens to "BLOW" my little Mexican perros away just because he has had a previous bad experience with irresponsible dog owners.... to me it kinda taints the atmosphere somewhat.

At least the "vaca basura" was still roaming around freely. With my plastic garbage bag elegantly hanging off his horn for awhile.

Caught my first Dorado there last year tho' so I'll be back for another this year. And just maybe the Mayor will give me another ride on HIS quad... if I'm a good little girl and keep Julio, Jose and PePe tied up on a five foot chain with muzzels on so they don't make a peep!! Tee!! Hee!! We'll see.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2003 at 12:23 AM
Bajalera

Yep......seens that we neighibors.......I'm at a loss for a "Name" LOL! seems I'm at a loss..........How about., nice to meet you?
gil

Mood: love ocean

thumbup.gif posted on 11-25-2003 at 11:07 PM
baja trip

What dates in January are you thinking of going?? I lived down in La Paz 7 years, love playa tecolote, todos, barrilles, never been to san quentin or requeson, hmm.. curious about those two. check out the islands in the sea of cortez, isla espiritu santo especially, there is no place like it in the universe. I plan to go next year but only for a 4 days to the islands. i hope you find someone to go with. :D
frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 12:43 AM
Actually Gil

I sent you a U2U when I meant to post my reply so, whatever, here goes...again.... I plan on leaving around January 4th but that's not written in stone. I will return somewhere near the end of March.

I will be spending alot of my time in the LaPaz area, mostly camped out at Tecolote. One of my main destinations this year is Isla Espiritu Santo. I have a little Porta-Bote and a good little Honda 4 Stroke that should be able to transport me there. Maybe I'll take along the tent and spend a day or two over there. I recently read that you have to check in and register at an office in LaPaz where they give you a bracelet to wear as ID when you go on the island. So I'll have to do that I suppose. Thanx for your reply, you've inspired me even more. That's what these boards are about. :yes:
Anonymous
Unregistered

smile.gif posted on 12-5-2003 at 01:00 AM
share ride

how long is your trip planning to be? My friend and I are flying into San Diego on the first. We fly back soon after but would love a ride if it is feasible. Let me know. Matt
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.