BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Serious--Mexican name for transportation trucks back in the 50's&60's
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 07:57 AM
Serious--Mexican name for transportation trucks back in the 50's&60's

Back in the days when those old trucks with cattlecatchers roamed Baja hauling supplies to all of the small campos and fishing villages their was a Mexican name applied to the trucks. Also a distinct name for the drivers--Thought I would never forget those names but with the disuse I have---Can anyone provide them for me.
Thanks

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 08:06 AM

didnt they call them Tortuga's

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Back in the days when those old trucks with cattlecatchers roamed Baja hauling supplies to all of the small campos and fishing villages their was a Mexican name applied to the trucks. Also a distinct name for the drivers--Thought I would never forget those names but with the disuse I have---Can anyone provide them for me.
Thanks

Bernie:

I just remember that the huge bumpers on those trucks , with the wide open stacks, dingle balls and wild colorful paint jobs, were called tumba burros

The drivers were and still are reffered to as chauferes sp?

I imagine there are many more names though

Lero
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 11:54 AM

Bernie: During my Hitching Days from La Paz-Loreto-TJ I have ridden in those Monsters! 10 Speed with 2-Speed Rear End. Those guys would shift 20 Times to get rolling to top Speed!
Short Story-One day flew to La Paz-Hitched with one of the Diesel Rigs hauling Diesel to the Generators in Villa-Road was not yet open from the North.
Got a ride out of Villa after the Road opened, with a Trucker hauling Peppers to the States. Got to the Top on the other side of Fresno Ejido and he started downhill and just "Kicked it out of Gear and coasted all the way down to the bottom of the Hill and about 80 Mph!!!
Let me out in Loreto with my Pants full, then lit up a Joint{DOPE} and Headed North.

Skeet/Loreto
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 04:33 PM
trucks

tapa tio?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 08:10 PM

The name used for the supply truckers of the old pre-paved Baja road days was indeed FAYUQUERO. Pull out your copy of Mike McMahan's 'There It Is: Baja!' and go to page 98.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 08:29 PM

Right, DK. The fayuqueros we used to see along the old road in the 1960 didn't always have trucks, some had station wagons that were stuffed to the roof with all sorts of stuff. I thought of them as traveling salesmen.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 09:53 PM

What I remember about those trucks were the were very loud.:light:
I think a lot of them ran propane for fuel and ran straight pipes, no mufflers.
When they let off on the gas pedal they sounded louder then a 1950 chevy with twin exhausts.:bounce:

My first Baja 500 race (1971) I think Milton was running for president of Mexico.

When we were pre running a lot of rocks were painted "Transistios com Milton"sp

My partner and I didn't really understand what it meant but we took a felt pen and wrote that on our motorcycle gas tank in large letters.

We were very popular with the truckers when going thru tech inspection prior to the race.

Corky:lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-27-2006 by Corky1]

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 12:08 AM

I hope Bernie writes a chapter about you Corky!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 03:49 AM

Bernie;
Hitched a ride with one of those large Station Wagons going South toward La Paz loaded with Typewriters- he would go to La Paz-A Free Zone- Go across the Ferry to Mexico City. Next trip would be Sewing machines.
Making a Living in the early 70's!
Some times dream of doing it all over again!!!
Skeet/Loreto
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 05:28 AM
David

Corky wrote his own story about himself and it is my new book--"THINK you know BAJA" which I hope will be to the printers and back before the Holiday Season.

It also has several other stories by guest authors--stories that they have shared here in the past and ones that I believe are windows to the very soul of Baja.

More surprises in it, but I'll just let you all hang on those for a while.

Life is fun and guys like Corky make it even more fun.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 05:33 AM
Skeet

Sounds like you really listened to that guy as you moved through life--so many of us just miss what is so important to other folks in this life. Sewing machines sure--but I think you better do laptops this time around.

Those guys really led tough lives and provided a most necessary service.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 11:10 AM

Great to hear Bernie... Good Job!!

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 06:40 AM
Thanks to all of you

This really helped me to finish a story I was working on.---Bajalero your description made me remember things about the trucks that I had forgotten--Sooooooooo! I am borrowing it to include in the story.

Thanks again! What a great resource this board is---or is it--What a great resource is this board. Anyway.......................

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.