Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Furniture advice requested
OLDFEZZYWIG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 05:39 PM
Furniture advice requested

Need to furnish a small dwelling in Southern Baja. I am considering shipping via truck from San Diego. Has anyone done this and have some input? I have heard that furniture supplies in southern Baja are scarce, and flying down to San Jose with the expectation of finding furniture to purchase may be risky- is this true? Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 05:42 PM

You have Costco and some good local shops in Cabo/San Jose.

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/LocationTemplate.aspx?Wareho...

Oh Judy...... ? (She'll know more)
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 06:02 PM
Judy may be sailing by now, lucky lady!

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 06:16 PM

lots of furniture stores in La Paz. most will deliver to the cape

[Edited on 5-27-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 06:18 PM

I don't know where that info came from but I think you will find more furniture stores than you will find in San Diego, with quality furniture and good prices, when you are looking and they have prices when you inquire they usually discount 20-30%. This is in La Paz, San Jose and Cabo. Also when it comes to appliances I would also buy them here, TV's Stereos etc. Judy in a previous post mentioned her favorite Furniture stores in San Jose.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 06:23 PM

no need to bring anything but your family photos and cash

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 08:22 PM

We've bought a lot of very nice furniture at surprisingly reasonable prices at a Segundo [second-hand store] just outside of La Paz. The lady who owns the place has a buyer in LA who sends a truckload down every week; she puts price tags on everything [not usual, here] and offers discounts.

A lot of segundos sell junk, but there are several that offer really good bargains.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
We've bought a lot of very nice furniture at surprisingly reasonable prices at a Segundo [second-hand store] just outside of La Paz. The lady who owns the place has a buyer in LA who sends a truckload down every week; she puts price tags on everything [not usual, here] and offers discounts.

A lot of segundos sell junk, but there are several that offer really good bargains.

We bought most of our stuff in Loreto, Constitucion and La Paz. But I'd like to check out the segundo you mention near La Paz; we haven't been there.

The Segundos in Constitucion seemed a little pricey. There's one in Loreto called Alejandra's where the prices are higher than new, and the more you try to bargain, or chose another similar item, the higher the prices go:

"How much for this beat up pot?

"80 pesos."

"OK, so how much for this even MORE beat up pot?

"100 pesos."

:lol::lol::lol:

villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 08:02 AM

To answer your original question, I shipped from SD to La Paz and had a 500sq fot load. Used import/export intl. All told it was $3200. They shipped to Cabo and then used a smaller truck to bring it back to La Paz. The Cabo-La Paz leg including men to unload was $200.

OLDFEZZYWIG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for the input . I will buy the things I need in La Paz and have it delivered . This looks like the best scenario for me also the least stressful .
villadelfin
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 01:37 PM

Let us know if you need names of Furniture places. what style are you looking for?

Tu Casa, San Diego, Galeria La Paz. Anteres, Hacienda Real. Comitan, where else?

[Edited on 5-28-2006 by villadelfin]

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2006 at 02:35 PM

There are just too many to list.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
OLDFEZZYWIG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 05:26 PM
Villadelfin

Thank you for all the helpful info about furniture in La Paz. I would very much appreciate the specific names of some furniture stores. I do not have a style in mind, but just want some store options. We are hoping to to travel down and take care of the purchase in a few days, so the more options the better.

Thanks!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 06:04 PM

We had trouble finding comfortable couches. It was the one piece of furniture my husb insisted he be able to try before purchasing. We found most of them hard and uncomfortable. We ended up buying two love seats from Vanessa's in LaPaz. They were made to our specifications and we are very pleased. I would be lying if I said it was a deal:wow:. Having said that, we looked at many furnitures stores with every price range imaginable. Lots of styles. There is also a second hand store in San Jose called Tienda 17(I think)

[Edited on 2006-6-2 by Marie-Rose]

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
villadelfin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 06:33 PM

There are two "modern" furniture stores on 5 de Febrero, one is Muebleria San Diego (with a closeout furniture store directly across the street called El Remate) and the other one does not have a name on the outside of the building. It is between Serdan and Ramirez. Galeria de La Paz is between 5 de Mayo and 16 de Septiembre on Independencia between Revolucion de 1910 and the malec?n. . Colibri is at Madero and Independencia. Artisanas Antaeres is just outside of town before the university on Forjadores not much past Colosio. Tu Casa is at 5 de Mayo at (and I'm guessing, here)Ramirez. It's maybe 2 blocks before the Ley

Only San Diego and the other nameless one have mattresses out of all that I mentioned. As Comitan says, there are too many to name them all, but here is a start. Check your u2u

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 06:59 PM

Mueblies Ramos, the unknown name. Quick count Mueblies in phone book 37. Have fun

[Edited on 6-2-2006 by comitan]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Mueblies Ramos, the unknown name. Quick count in phone book 37. Have fun

720,000 listings on Google:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.