Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Scuba
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Ken, yeah!! having a locker, plane and porta compressor all at PSFO is tops!!

mike it brings to mind the phrase, "Doesn't get any better than that"!

++Ken++
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 09:13 PM

Ken, Interesting that you said I should write a book about my Baja experiences.I was told that many years ago and never took it seriously. You have made me think about it again, and maybe, with help from Mijas,I just may do it!!I have some stories to tell for sure, and it just could be the time in my life to do so! Thanks for the "nudge"!!!:light: Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
We were lucky enough to dive the Red Sea last month. Incredible. Water was 76 degrees at the surface and 76 degrees at 90 feet.

I guess I haven't seen you since. Where did you guys dive?

Ras Mohammed?

Yes, Ras Mohammed and more. It was unreal.

We took photos underwater but they are lousy.:no: Check Ken's sight for GREAT photos of the Red Sea. He knows what he is doing. :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Ken, Interesting that you said I should write a book about my Baja experiences.I was told that many years ago and never took it seriously. You have made me think about it again, and maybe, with help from Mijas,I just may do it!!I have some stories to tell for sure, and it just could be the time in my life to do so! Thanks for the "nudge"!!!:light: Sally

Write it! :yes:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth

Please write it Sally. If you do I promise to be at the book signing!!

++Ken++
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 09:46 PM

Thanks Ken, As it happens, Mijas that are both livin g in Baja, will be here soon and I will need their help to get this started ! they have been telling me the same thing, but maybe NOW, with a nudge or two, I will actually do it! I can assure you that some really fun and funny storries will come out of this! This will date back to the 1940's, when my Grandparents first went to Baja There are pictures, now I need to get them!! Oh Boy, gimme a project, a vision, here I go!!!(I know where the pics are)

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 07:02 AM
SCUBA DIVERS

[Originally posted by Spyderman

"Are there any Baja Nomad SCUBA divers?" ]

I think this was the original question.

The answer is Yes! there are many SCUBA divers who read Baja Nomad but seldom post. Perhaps the title should be "Skin and SCUBA divers."

There are also colonies of retired divers who live or frequent Baja on a regular basis.

There are a number, too numerous to list, who have retired to Baja Norte so as to be with in driving distance of the border for a number of reasons , not least of which is the excellant US Medical care.

BOLA is full of retired divers of note:
There are a number of free divers/spear fishermen
The FIRST female Instructor, (1955)
The SECOND female instructor (1954) visits the area
The Father of the Modern Single Hose regulator has been retired there for 16 years and is well known for his contributions to the community of BOLA.

SLC is known as a worm drowers haven, but it is also a destination for manywho dive or have dove:
Bill Hammel is a resident and world class spearfisherman/freediver.
The ex US Spear fishing team member and US Spearfishing team coach often visits SLC.
One 90 year old member of the tribe, who began with a Scott Hydropac, often holds court over adult beverages
My wife and I often visit the area.

And the list goes on and on...

You will not immediately recognize them; there are no dive flags on their vechicles, they do not wear the obiqious T shirts with a huge dive flag that proclaims "Divers do it deeper" nor do they introduce them selves as a "diver." They are just normal people who were/are pioneer participants in a sport in a time when the sport had no name, no magazines, no training, no flag, and darn few participants.

You my want to seek some of them out; their knowledge, their experiences, their stories will astound you!

DM
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 06:41 PM

Spyderman, my appologies for taking your post and going off the topic! Lo siento!! As far as divers/diving goes , My daughters own and operate Cabodivecompany.com out of San Jose and Cabo. Check em out if you want a quality, comfortable dive experience!

CortezExplorers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 07:49 PM

Well I was a little late joining this thread, but needless to say (with a little bit of bias); from those divers who we have crossed paths with at Cortez Explorers, the vast majority are excellent in the water, safe, environment friendly and just happy to be blowing bubbles!

I almost missed this thread because i usually monitor the Scuba/Snorkeling board, I hope all those who have posted here, could perhaps make that board a little more active - i would love to hear about peoples diving experiences up and down baja (as well as around the world). Mick and I have a wealth of knowledge about the Red Sea, from Egypt to Djibouti, The Med. Thailand and beyond. If anyone wants info about taking a diving trip (outside of baja or wherever) post it and we will try to help out.

Capt. Mike, we'll see you very soon - water temps are almost perfect for you!

safe diving-
matthew

Matthew
Cortez Explorers,
Mulege, BCS, Mexico
+52 615 153 0500
http://www.cortez-explorers.com
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 07:41 AM

The thread once again has deviated from the question to commericals for two dive operators. It is great to learn of their envolvement and excitement about diving and Baja.

There are several others who should no be forgotten and certainly included in the dive operators list.

Mike & Lauren Farley explored Baja dive areas almost immediately after the opening of Hw #1 and published the first Baja dive guide " Baja California Dive Guide, " in 1978, which was later followed by "Diver's guide to Underwater Mexico." They curently own and operate the Danzante dive resort near Los Cabos.

One of my all time favorite divers, Susan Speck is also a transplanted SoCal dive operator. Prior to moving full time to Baja, Susan had operated the "Dolphin Dive Center" in Arcadia, California. About 15 years ago she sold her SoCal operation and opened the Dolphin Dive Center in Loreto. She also has authored a very popular and most recent dive guide titled
" Diving Baja California" which was published in 1995.

Both are very good operations backed by in depth knowledge gained through years of dive and dive operational experience. They are long term published Underwater photographers, whose work is not only pleasing to the eye, it is technically correct.

Their books contain a wealth of information and should be a primary componet of any Baja Diver/travelers library, not only to read and put aside but as a reference companion on every Baja trip.

Walt Petersen also published a dive guide book " Diving and snorkelling in Baja." I will reserve comment on this publication.

There is also a wealth of historical Baja dive information contained in diving periodicals, beginning with the world's first publication devoted to the noble sport, Skin Diver Magazine. Volume 1, issue #1, December 1951 has a major article devoted to a dive trip to La Paz--but this is a story for another post.

DM
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 07:48 AM

dont mike and lauren operate an Eco Resort in Loreto...Danzante?

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 10:15 AM

I see Mike's sister and brother in law on occasion and the name they use is (or was) "Danzante" Been some time so ?Quien Sabe?

Encouraging to know that some one actually read the post and was kind enough to correct the mistake or point out a possible incorrect name. Heck I might continue making posts! Thank you and yours very much. I sincerely appreciate your attention to detail.

Prior to retirement I lived in Upland--16th & Mountain. I certainly understand why you like Baja; it is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Too bad we never met ten years ago...A bottle of vino and tales of BAJA,

Cheers, DM
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 11:16 AM

The Farley's resort is named Danzante and it is near Loreto. I thought Speck's book was outstanding.

++Ken++
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:34 PM

This is not Scuba related, but they are Mike and Denise that own and operate the Danzante Resort.Very good people! They visited us at Mijas house while I was there last time, on their way North.

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:51 PM

Sally did the Farleys sell it recently?? The Danzante website still says it is owned by Mike and Lauren Farley

http://www.danzante.com/index.html

Their picture is on the "About Us" page. I've never been there but I did meet the Farleys a number of years ago in LA.

Regards,

++Ken++
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 10:17 AM

Ken, I must correct another boo-boo of mine.They are Bill and Denise that own the Danzante Resort south of Loreto.Maybe there is another Danzante further south by Cabo? I am waiting to hear from Juanita so as to clear this up and will let you know when I hear from her(today?).For all I know they sold it and nobody told me!!Ok, another duh on my part! Just got the info I was asking about and boy, I must be gettin old! Bill and Denise are the owners of El Santuario, Not Danzante! My appologies to all.......:(

[Edited on 6-5-2006 by Sallysouth]

cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 12:31 PM
baja scuba nomad...he he

Just wanted to add myself to the list of baja nomad scuba divers. I have not been doing it for too long but dove San Felipe/Puertocitos/BOLA/Muleje/Loreto areas .... as one can see all on the Cortez side.

I have just returned from BOLA and had a chanve to dive around La Gringa. Unfortunatelly I don't have a boat nor the money to put out for a panga hence the shore dive. We stayed at Antonio's and had great time. Will post some photos later on.
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 05:29 AM

Great to see all the posting, my question gets answered again and again, which is cool. I will be looking up some of the divers when I head west from Florida. I'm also gonna make a trip to the Yucatan to do some diving. Don't worry about the thread when it wanders off topic, it seems to find its way back and it's all interesting reading.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
titled

There is also a wealth of historical Baja dive information contained in diving periodicals, beginning with the world's first publication devoted to the noble sport, Skin Diver Magazine. Volume 1, issue #1, December 1951 has a major article devoted to a dive trip to La Paz--but this is a story for another post.

DM

I am some what suprised there has been no comments relative to the books of Carlos Eyles which certainly document diving activity in Baja since the 1980s. However, it is recognized 1980s to present represents a period of 26 years and a according to genealogist "a generation." Therefore, in order to aquaint some readers with the books of Carlos Eyles it is appropriate to briefly mention his many literay contributions to the documentation of Baja diving. His books in order of publication and with a few comments are as follows:

1) Sea Stalking, 1983 --set in Catalina it expores the "zen and art" of free diving and spearfishing. Certainly applicable to the Baja diver since using a bubble machine as a transportation medium to place a spear in a fishes face is a a big NO NO!

2) Last of the blue water hunters, 1985 --documents the adventures of then young southern California freedivers/ spearfishermen from the famed Long Beach Neptunes dive club on the last big great Baja hunt. A classic and a must read, must have for the serious Bajaphile diver, however rare and somewhat costly if located.

Chapter one of this book, for you who like blood and gore or have a fear of sharks is devoted to the great white shark attack on Harry Inghram off the coast of Mexico. FYI in defense of arm, leg and life, Harry speared the shark who inturn took off with Harry's gun and all of the terminal gear.

3) Diving Free, 1991-- more zen

4) Sea Shadows, 1992--Photo essays

5) Secret seas, 1993

6) Dolphin Borne, 1994

7) The blue edge, 2001. The last and latest, some what eco oriented which is approprite and certainly needed in Baja.

One interesting essay in the book was about a Baja trip where Carlos & co had traveled to Baja, searched out a desolate uninhabiatated beach and set up camp. All was well for a few days then a huge RV Bus arrived and stopped next to them. With out leaving the RV down went the stablizers, up went the TV, on went the music and lights. Never did they show their faces outside of their RV!

After several days of this, Margie, Carlos' highsprited wife had had enough! She previously noted that the occupants had a habit of starring out their windows as Carlos' camp was preparing breakfast. So Margie staked out a highly visable location and mooned the the RV Bus. In a show of support was immnediately joined by Carlos and company presented a united front or was it united back side???

Immediately the up came the stablizers, down went the TV and quicker that it has taken to read this post the RV Bus departed post haste.

I have been so tempted so many times to follow Carlos' example while we were being encroached upon in Baja. And some day I will.

Carlos has not published since the Blue Edge. Several years ago Carlos relocated from the Central Coast of California to the Hawwaiian islands.

DM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.