BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: the race is on....countdown....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2006 at 07:12 AM
the race is on....countdown....

Will leave Wednesday about noon with the plan of beach camping around Erendira that night.....Thursday night will go to Horsepower Ranch party......Friday contingency (what else).....not sure where I will watch from on saturday.....new section would be good but no access...would like to see the rock climb at "the AGGIE spot".....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2006 at 08:39 AM

Will be at Mike's Sky Ranch Wednesday. Explore Arroyo Grande on Thursday and contingency Friday and where ever Tunaeater needs us on Saturday.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 11:00 AM

Jim
In talking to TT, who pre-ran the "pine forest" on Fri, the AGGIE spot is a big silt hill not rocks. He had no problem with it in the 9 car they were in. However he say's after all the big boys tear it up on race day it will be a real challenge for the smaller rigs.
My cameras and I hate silt, but I still might end up there. I'd be burried until check one closes. I am thinking that it would be a good place for a "status" location.
burro bob
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2006 at 03:52 PM

What I remember was a one lane opening through solid rock...right after crossing a creek.....steep with some big loose boulders about half way up....not a trace of silt......
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 08:34 AM

Jim
Any idea what race mile that was at. Sounds like it might be a good photo/video location. He didn't tell me about that spot.
burro bob
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 04:06 PM

Jim, TW, anybody....
I'd like to confirm one particular part of the course, if anybody can help. Since I haven't actually been there in the past couple of weeks, I'd like to know if the course will descend all the way to the coast after leaving San Vicente, at a point just north of Cerro Solo. From the course notes and the map, it looks like it does. I know old courses have used that coastal road in the past, but they've also used a route just a few KM's inland as well. Anybody know about this year? One clue was the reference to the green machinery in the course notes. I do remember that old combine or field tractor or something just past where the road makes the right to follow the coast. Any info would be much appreciated.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 05:25 PM

BB....mile 47.60.....score note #68.....would go there if I can find "easy" access...

andy ...I never made that section....but from the notes it will go a few km's inland from the beach through the farmland.....(the coastal route has too many houses now).....back into the wash as it nears town and finally down to the beach area as it exits town.....(that beach run will be fun to watch also).....
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 05:56 PM

Thanks Jim, I checked and score note #237 says Right Turn at Beach, mile 303.60. Looks like it may just go all the way down there. I know there aren't any houses that far south yet, so maybe it jogs back inland a bit further north. Have fun!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2006 at 08:07 PM

A chance we will be south of Valle Trinidad...

Exciting as always, anytime in Baja always is!

(speaking like Yoda, am I!)

:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 09:51 AM

Jim
After talking to Tony again he described the "Aggie" spot more like you did. So it is the same.
We then went across the street to talk to Aggie about his spot. He doesn't know anything about it. Says he will go to the BFG pit meeting and they will tell him where his spot is.
David
I'll also be somewhere south of Valley T. I'll keep my eyes open for you.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 04:23 PM

I'll be at VDT in the morning waiting for our bike and to do a rider change, hopefully around 10:10am. After that we will go to race mile 256.95 where I will wait to get on the bike. I'll take it to Race Mile 344 in Santo Tomas. Be on the look out for us 103X (Honda 450X) .....Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2006 at 05:45 PM

Bob and Paul, great!!

Looks good for Baja Angel and I to be around RM 250 +/- helping a friend with radio relay for 'Baja Pits'. Be camping there Friday and Saturday nights.

Paul... GOOD LUCK AMIGO!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Will be at Mike's Sky Ranch Wednesday. Explore Arroyo Grande on Thursday and contingency Friday and where ever Tunaeater needs us on Saturday.
The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 12:55 AM

Greetings TW>>>>>>>>>>> Tell us about your Arroyo Grande exploration on Thursday before contingency Friday.. I am wondering if there is much left on the Rancho property?? Were you able to proceed east from the Rancho in the stream bed toward the desert and how far did you get?? >>>>>>>>>>> Best Regards, sq.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Greetings TW>>>>>>>>>>> Tell us about your Arroyo Grande exploration on Thursday before contingency Friday.. I am wondering if there is much left on the Rancho property?? Were you able to proceed east from the Rancho in the stream bed toward the desert and how far did you get?? >>>>>>>>>>> Best Regards, sq.

I'm wondering too, Tom - tell us the story---:?:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 07:20 AM

Sq on Thrsday morning we stopped by the gate at Choyall and it had 2 locks on it. We were running a little behind schedule so we never bothered to ask at the ranch house if we could get in. On Friday afternoon we turned off hwy 3 at KM108 and went back toward Jamau at the jct in the almanac it's labeled Pena Blanca near T4. We continued eastward toward what's labeled San Simon. The is now a campground, hotel and resturant called Jamau something, Baja Jamau ??? The people at RM155 went there to eat and said it was pretty good. Anyway we continued to follow the road and came to a split about 13 miles from the hwy. Left went NE into the mtns. We continued down the hill crossing a wash where there is an abandoned house at 13.5 miles in. There is a large rock there where the people ground their corn and other meal on. The road gets rougher after this but still not a problem. We went another 1.5 miles to the mtn top where we could see Trinidad to the south, some distance away maybe 10-15 miles. The almanac is totally wrong in this area. We thought we were following the trail around El Alamar and down to El Carrizo. We never saw any turn offs other than the one to the lower summit to the north at about 8 miles from hwy. It was about 7pm so we turned around and went back to the race course to camp. Some day I want to explore further on both roads from the split.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle

Hey sq. (good morning),

When are we going to read your version of the Baja 500 trip?

How was it like to be the pit boss of Radio Relay #2?

Looking forward to the next Baja trip we can explore!

The Lost Diaz Grave, perhaps??? (in the winter, naturally)

Watch out for these guys on the trail! >>>

The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 09:28 PM

Greetings David; >>>>>>>>>>>> It's evening now sooooo........... Good evening to you all.. My version of Baja 500 trip is essentially the same as yours, David because we were together on this trip and how could I possibly improve on your reportage.. As far as being pit boss--------that was a snap because I had such an excellent crew keeping me alert.. I am looking forward to the very next Baja adventure (Con mucho gusto) the sooner the better.. About the snake picture----------it is not as dangerous as it looks BUT do not try this at home!!!! Thank you for posting all those great photos.. Wish I could do that!!!! >>>>>>>>> Kindest Regards, sq.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.