Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Offroad major tire fix
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 01:44 AM
Offroad major tire fix

Here's the scenario: you are 70 miles back in on an almost never traveled track somewhere in Baja. Your primary spare, which happens to be a much smaller version of your regular treads replaced a tire 15 miles back when an loose valve stem deflated an already low pressure tire in a razor sharp rocky ravine. Unable to repair the tire immediately because of the lack of a suitable jacking area you manage to finally stop only to find you completely messed up the sidewall of your big tire with a 6 inch slash.
Now, your dinky little spare has failed you in your attempt to return home. Same place same problem. What are you going to do??

Oh yeah I forgot ,no communication stuff is onboard.

Clue: how well supplied and how much knowledge do you have about such matters?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:10 AM

absolute last resort-burn a tire. it will put up a heck of a signal that the locals might see and come investigate.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 07:11 AM

Put the small spare inside the big tire and use it as a "tube".....
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:00 AM

I would have the truck Im traveling with go get a new tire. Buddy system. 70 miles in the back country of Baja with just a "emergency" spare isnt very smart.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:36 AM

there are lots of things you can do but I don't know what tools and spar supplies you have so I am assuming you forgot them. since I know this is Corky I know you remembered the Ice chest , so the first thing I would do if you survived the beating your wife just gave you for putting here in that situation Is open it and check the constance:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:40 AM

Bruce is talking about "Corky":fire::fire: not "Corky1"

Corky:saint::saint:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:42 AM

Not a potential scenario for me anymore,
10 ply tubeless tires and spare, emergency tube, inflator, cell phone, marine vhf, jacks, blocks, winch, patch kits, tools.......

Now, if I was drunk and delerious and somehow got into someone else's car and awoke to find myself in this situation, I would spend a little time checking supplies and surroundings looking for something to reinforce or re-create the tire. Lot's of possibilities !

When I was young(er) and (choose your own word), I got stuck in a buddies CJ with a small tear in one sidewall. We cleared the gash with a knife then we filled the tire through the sidewall gash with sand/dirt about 3/4 full. We slipped a duct tape patch to the inner side of the gash and then rotated the tire so the weight of the warm sand/dirt was on the duct tape for a few minutes. We re-mounted the tire and at about 5 mph, we made it back to the pavement and signaled for a ride.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:47 AM

I think I'd enjoy travelling with Bruce.
He keeps his priorities straight, even in an emergency !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, drink and ice !!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:53 AM

if you fill a tire half full with beer and shake it,:lol: it will inflate.:O

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
if you fill a tire half full with beer and shake it,:lol: it will inflate.:O

And waste the beer ???:(:o:?:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 09:11 AM

it is a dilemma. you must ponder the situation very carefully before you make your decision.:lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-4-2006 at 02:16 PM
Gee Corky take it easy

;D

Bruce, better call me "Sharks":lol:

Really you guys, Surfer Jim is pretty close.
As far as supplies go, I carry three pack of tubeless plugs. A large can of cement(the proper stuff), coarse sand paper, an inner tube fitted for the large tire and another for the dinky one. Also included are some sheets of heavy butyl rubber. It is very important to use natural rubber products but neoprene can also work in a pinch. A couple of new valve stems and a couple of cans of "flat-tire" rounds out the supplies.
The proper tools are also a must if you intend to break down a wheel and make repairs inside the tire. I bring (2) 24" tire spoons a crow bar, a bottle jack, extra lug wrench and of course some blocks of wood and a hi-lift jack. A good source of compressed air will be needed. A "come-along" for reseating a tubeless tire if necessary or possible.

Most tires CAN be repaired given these tools and supplies. Punctures are easily repaired whereas sidewall tears are another story.
I have inseredted as many as ten plugs in a hole to stop a bad leak and save valuable tire pressure. One time in Alaska I took a large spear shaped rock between the treads. I rushed to plug the hole with many rubber inserts. The leak stopped and the plugs held for months until I finally dismounted the tire and made a more permanent repair.
When a sidewall is damaged it's paramount not to drive on that tire if at all possible. We will fix it later.

Break the bead! Man I used to have some tightly bound tires to the rims. It seemed they were like welded to the bead. Simply lower the vehicle onto the tire. With the damaged tire (and air) removed place a board on the tire up next to the bead where tire meets rim. Lower the vehicle slowly and stop when the bead lets go. Jack the truck back up. It may be necessary to break the bead on the other side also.

Most folks can make a decent repair and continue to use a tire for a trip out. Remember though after making a sidewall repair it is wise to keep an adequate amout of air in that tire so as not to reopen a wound with lowered tire pressue which tends to pinch the sidewall.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 03:13 PM

Good advice"Sharks"

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
A "come-along" for reseating a tubeless tire if necessary or possible.

Nah, a little gasoline and a match. Put gasoline inside tire, trail some (a couple of feet, more if you're a wuss), light match and run like hell.

I've heard it done. From a distance...From behind a big rock. :biggrin:

A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
;D

Also included are some sheets of heavy butyl rubber

How do you use the butyl? I have a good supply and use it for waterproofing, sealing, and other purposes............
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
A "come-along" for reseating a tubeless tire if necessary or possible.

Nah, a little gasoline and a match. Put gasoline inside tire, trail some (a couple of feet, more if you're a wuss), light match and run like hell.

I've heard it done. From a distance...From behind a big rock. :biggrin:

Gasoline or starting fluid is what the tire repair shops use. I've done it several times - really not that big a deal and does git those tires beaded.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 12:46 PM
I'm sure it works well w/most

Problem is though that most folks carry wimpy little compressors that won't keep up with leakage around the bead. Very soapy water helps but some tires are not as good a fit on the rim as others. Believe me I've tried. It did blow the tire out but just recoiled away from the bead-seat immediately. Of course these days with better fitments that is not as much prob. My old PW came stock with split-rims. Easy to change but scary to inflate. I always shoved em under the truck prior to inflating and seating the tire.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 01:02 PM

Use a little Auto Trany fluid around the bead - softens the rubber just a little and seals better.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 02:20 PM

Gee Lou where were you when I was at Malarrimo in 1971:lol: ended up drinking the most god-awful tres xxx in Baja while the courteous crew at Rancho de Castro aided our repairs and the mujares served us equally terrible ground-up abalone sandwiches:barf:. Man, what a trip that was!:wow::wow:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.