Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Border Crossing / Importing
Shimmer
Junior Nomad

Mood: In the Question

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 07:23 AM
Border Crossing / Importing

I am just about to travel from Todos Santos to LA to pick up a car and drive it back down. I plan to stop in San Diego and pick up some construction supplies for my home here in Todos Santos. Mostly Concrete sealers, wood sealers, concrete staining oxides and other misc items I can't seem to find down here. I am also bringing an Electroacuscope that I have prescription for and use for pain mangement. A $4000, used, medical piece of equipment... I have the prescription and the bill of sale I will be crossing at San Ysidro early Saturday am...... I drove down initially last December, with simple luggage, with no problems... in fact no checks, but I have little/no experience at the crossing game. Can some one fill me in on the best fashion... times, stategies to get thru the gaulet. I have no intention of "smuggling", yet I also dont want to incur any more fees than necessary. Am I able to bring sealers, used equipment over with no import? Is there a $ ceiling? What are the best times to cross with the least trouble. I have a working FM3, so I will have to check back in somewhere... where is best? Any info on the upcoming adventure is welcome...... I have mucho respect for all of your input and experience...I check in here daily to raise the bar of my learning curve. Thanks in advance for the help. My personal email is.....smridhwan@ yahoo.com if that is appropriate.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 07:26 AM

Have to pay duty on "Building Materials"

Have to have a broker if total value over $1000

Lots of luck-

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 07:44 AM

Call these people FIRST and set up the crossing.

You WILL have to cross at OTAY...
Have a plan to get out of town...it's a maze

Go early as you may have to wait awhile because the import people will have to do checking....

Tell us later what happened:bounce:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:14 AM
speaking of....

Don't mean to co-op this thread, but this is related...

When towing a small (16 foot) camp trailer full of.... well stuff we use in it and for camping, is there ever a problem... We've a piece of property w/no casa, so we'll be camping mostly on our own land.... The stuff will be coming back across the border in the same camp trailer.

I know campers, motorhomes, folks with bicycles, cycles, ATV's, etc. do this all the time - I used to vagabond in my old VW Westfalia camper.... but last trip like that was 1988, so I'm a bit rusty on driving down.

Also, is there a good route map to get through the border maze?? We'll be driving down I5 most of the way... Towing a trailer, we want to go the "correct" route.

Where is the best (appropriate) crossing for this, and do I need to declare things that I'll bring back in the camp trailer??

If you have experience with this, your insight is appreciated...

thanks!
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 04:19 PM

We bring through small quantities of odds and ends, like sealers, cutting blades, stuff like that from Home Depot for us and our local builder. Just stuff we can't find here; our place is probably 98% local materials. Also one pickup load of our used furniture.

What we did: went through the declare lanes at San Ysidro, stopped at the little building past the covered parking. For the purchases, said we live in Loreto and went shopping and showed the person receipts. They just said "push the button." Last time we got the red light, so she glanced in the back, asked about alcohol, then waved us on. Fot the furniture: "Is any new?" "No?" "Push the button."

Yes, we have gone through the "Nothing to Declare" lines with a few things but I think we'll stick with the "declare" lanes. Do a search and read accounts of people who got a red light smuggling stuff through. Ouch!

When in doubt, if you go through the declare and ask, you have some protection against any charge of smuggling. And I have seen no evidence that they will try to take advantage of you and make you pay unnecessary duties.

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djh
Don't mean to co-op this thread, but this is related...

When towing a small (16 foot) camp trailer full of.... well stuff we use in it and for camping, is there ever a problem... We've a piece of property w/no casa, so we'll be camping mostly on our own land.... The stuff will be coming back across the border in the same camp trailer.

I know campers, motorhomes, folks with bicycles, cycles, ATV's, etc. do this all the time - I used to vagabond in my old VW Westfalia camper.... but last trip like that was 1988, so I'm a bit rusty on driving down.

Also, is there a good route map to get through the border maze?? We'll be driving down I5 most of the way... Towing a trailer, we want to go the "correct" route.

Where is the best (appropriate) crossing for this, and do I need to declare things that I'll bring back in the camp trailer??

If you have experience with this, your insight is appreciated...

thanks!
djh

Don't worry about customs with your camping trailer and equipment. It's all legal to bring across without an inspection or paperwork, so use the "nothing to declare" line.

As to the best crossing, I prefer the one at Tecate. It's a little out of the way, but there is seldom a line and the drive down Mex-3 to Ensenada is easy and pretty. You can even stop in wine country and pick up some vino.

Also, you can park on the U.S. side and walk across to process your paperwork. The Migraci?n office is the first doorway on your right, about 10 ft from the border. The Banjecito (bank) is directly across the street.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Have to pay duty on "Building Materials"

Have to have a broker if total value over $1000

Lots of luck-

You don't need a broker but if over 1k you do need to use Otay.

Here's what I'd do:

Cross at Otay with receipts and Rx. Only declare the building materials. Wait and see if they question the medical equipment. If they don't then you're home free. If they do then show them the Rx, tell them it is necessary for your health and see if they'll let you slide. I'll be willing to bet that they will.

It would be wise to get a letter from your doctor (in Spanish) telling what the equipment is/does and why you need it.

Also, don't try and hide the equipment. You don't want them to think that you're trying to 'put one over'.

[Edited on 6-5-2006 by Dave]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.