BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Yellow tail and other fish cookin' in aluminium foil...
bajasol
Junior Nomad

Mood: Bajabulous

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 01:03 PM
Yellow tail and other fish cookin' in aluminium foil...

Let's have your best recipe for Baja fish cooked in aluminium foil on the fire or in the oven. I usually slip in a little butter and oregano and let it cook until I smaell the foil burning. Probably not so good. But the fish tastes great. Like to try a new recipe. I have a yellow tail waiting to be eaten. Mmmmm

BAJA SOL
bajawife
Junior Nomad

wink.gif posted on 6-6-2006 at 01:29 PM

Lots of fresh garlic w/ the butter!!! yummy!
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 01:51 PM

This is not really a Baja recipe, but here is one for grilled Salmon:

Whole Salmon, gilled, gutted, scaled.
Rub inside and out with mayonaise.
chop onion, celery and lemon in more or less equal parts and stuff the critter.
Rub brown sugar on the outside.
Wrap it up in foil and toss it on the bbq.
Cook until translucent, but don't overcook.

Good stuff......

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 01:58 PM

Place the fish on lightly buttered foil skin down. Place thinly sliced onions or scallions, lemon juice, salt and pepper then add a few tablespoons of wine or broth over the fish before sealing. Cook bottom down and you will get a great baked/poached fish that will fall off the skin.

You can vary the seasoning, add garlic or diced mango or diced jalapeno or brown sugar or ...whatever !
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 02:03 PM

Much of the time with yellowtail and salmon we just leave the skin on grill it. Oil and season the top and start the fish flesh side down. Turn 90 degrees to mark the fish then flip onto the skin side to finish before the flesh begins to flake. Sometimes the skin stays on the grill when it's done !?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 03:11 PM

Try adding a slice of bacon.......Yum!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 03:25 PM
ohhhhhyeah!

Take a whole fish(tuna types) 10-20 lb gut,head off and then split entire fish length wise along backbone. Set aside one half. Take one whole large onion and one whole tomato for each 10 lb. Slice 1/4" and then lay upon fish overlapping like Subway does.
Sprinkle Kosher or seasalt and pepper and wrap well with aluminum foil. Three wraps will do. Place on raked coals and turn once at thirty minutes. Finish other side with another 30 minutes. Easy.

TO DIE FOR!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 03:29 PM

Sharks sounds great but no Ajo???

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 03:31 PM

Sounds great Sharks.......is that on the menu at your place?
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 04:07 PM

Try this:

Reconstitute some dried chiitake or other wild mushrooms in hot water. Pat the mushrooms dry and reserve a half cup of the liquid.

Oil a square of heavy duty foil. Lay a filet (about 6 oz.) of any firm white fish in the upper third. Season with salt and pepper, a sprig of any fresh herb (thyme, marjoram and/or oregano) and a thin slice of lemon, a few slices of the wild mushrooms. Lay alongside the fish a few slices of raw fingerling potato (small red or yukon gold will do as well) topped with a few stalks of asparagus (with the stringy bottoms snapped off). Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over everything a tablespoon of the reserved mushroom liquid and a tablespoon of white wine.

Fold the bottom half of the foil up over the fish to cover the top half of the foil, then fold the edges a couple of times to form an airtight seal. The pouch should not be too snug against the contents so that the steam has room to circulate.

Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filet and the volume of veggies. Plate the pouches unopened, with instructions to your guests on how to treat steam burns. Serve with some good bread to soak up the juices and a nice bottle (or 3) of Viognier. Enjoy. I'm going home to eat.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 08:14 PM
Yellowtail in foil

Here's one way we do it...

Gut the fish, cut off the head. Leaving the fish whole, cut vertical slices down the length of the fish into the meat about 2" apart. Do both sides. Fill each slice with mustard and whole garlic cloves. Wrap in foil, put on the BBQ.

For Cabrilla Pepe Smith Style, gut the fish, leave the head on, fill the body cavity with canned Veg-All, then pour Heredez salsa over the fish and add slices of white onion. Wrap in foil, BBQ, done. Tasty fish.

Wishing I were fishing....
P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 11:51 PM
Funny you say that Comitan

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Sharks sounds great but no Ajo???

I use fresh garlic on everything at the restaurant. But this recipe came from a big black fellow hired to cook up a big barbeque for the place next door. He wasn't cooking fish but saw the tuna a fisherman friend gave me. He offered to cook it up on his BBQ. Good idea, one of the tastiest foil-wrapped fish I've ever had. And I've had plenty! It must have been the tomato/onion together. It added that needed flavor.

Debra, I can't BBQ, fry, bake or broil anything at our place! Seriously! We ONLY steam or poach ALL our meals.....individually, every time.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 05:32 PM

Every year, I have given a mexican friend of mine a big yellowtail for his anniversary and I always get invited to help eat the thing too.
He stuffs the inside with everything you can imagine, Chopped onion, chopped garlic, mushrooms, tomato slices, lime slices, potato cubes, carrots, oregano, and probably anything else real handy, wrap the whole thing several times with Aluminum foil, put it in the ground with hot coals for a few hours, then take out, split open, serve with lots of rice and refried beans as well as both types of tortillas. The best.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 06:59 PM

now i just need a yt. gonna go with a mexican friend from work to fish from ensenada with on his cousin's panga next month. can't wait to try some new recipes.....:yes:

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 10:41 AM

a while back a buddy and I caught a bunch of fish at a local spot and decided to barbecue them...he put his in foil and covered them with mayonaise and added some onions,bellpeppers,and spices..let em simmer for a while in the mayo and bam!...mmmm tasty:yes::yes:

aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 10:45 AM

I just saw a portion of "Good Eats" program w/ Alton Brown cook a red snapper?(I THINK) whole in a salt dome. Thats right! A mass of coarse kosher salt moistened w/ egg white and some water (1lb per lb of fish) then packed completely arround the entire fish. It was stuffed with ingredents and spices that looked killer. I didn't have time to see the recipe but i'll google the food network and see if i can link it here. I personally like hamachi sashimi nice and cold w/ kirin ichiban. Also love jurel Verecruz (like marinara) poached around either fillets or whole fish garlic bread w/ pecorino romano. Beer or wine to taste. Yum!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 12:32 PM

I have prepared a lot of different foods (a ton of veggies) in aluminum foil and just love them. This seems to be a good place to ask a question that has bugged me for years. My mother cooked for years in regular aluminum pans. When She passed of Alzheimers, I was told that may have been a factor, but that was late 80's. I don't use any pots or pans, but do use a lot of foil:rolleyes:.
Any thoughts?
I will try as many of these recipe as I can, but I'm not a great fisherman yet. May go hungery for a while.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 07:07 PM
Woody...

"can't wait to try some new recipes"

Don't jinx yourself man!! You gotta catch em first:lol::lol:

Good Luck!!

[Edited on 6-11-2006 by Tomas Tierra]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 08:56 PM
i cheated, sorta....

went to the fish market in ensenada this morning. 3 kilo yellowtail, 2.5 kilo small clams, 2 kilo giant squid, 3.5 kilo sheepshead, 2 kilo camerones. price= +/- $25 usd. 5 fish tacos, 1 shrimp taco=$5. gonna eat good in yuma this week:light:

baja malibu looked fun but not quite good enuff to pull on the suit. border wait was 56 minutes at 1:30pm.

P.S. the so called "car pool lane" is now CLOSED. at the bottom of the ramp you can get in the far right lane to access the car pool lane/colonia ??? turn off BUT when you get to the carpool/colonia "Y" there are K blocks (cement dividers) blocking access to the carpool lane at the top of the ramp dropping into the curio stands.

good thing my buddy didn't listen as i was saying "right lane".:lol:

bajazonie

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 04:31 PM

I'll have to try the 'grill in foil' trick, sounds great!

Thought I'd share my favorite yellowtail recipe....

On skinless fillets rub/spray w/ olive oil, sprinkle with oregano and basil flakes, top with lemon slices and grill in a fish basket. Serve with cilantro/lime rice.

Unbelievable!:wow: Works great for fresh salmon also.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.