Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jim Dandy, La Purisima
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:21 AM
Jim Dandy, La Purisima

I' like to start a thread about Jim Dandy from La Purisima. Anyone who has ever met this gentleman, knows they have come across one heck of a great guy! There are all kinds of stories about this man...and I betcha they're all good. Carlos Fiesta and I stopped in to see him a few weeks ago to see him and he promptly offered us a Tecate.... at 9:30 in the morning. We could not refuse. While we were there, one of the locals came by to have his gun repaired...
As Dandy would say, "You betcha"!

[Edited on 6-7-2006 by Juan del Rio]
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:24 AM
Aren't guns illegal in Mexico?

Well yes. But if you're Jim Dandy...who cares! Even the local law enforcement officials take their guns to Jim Dandy for repair. There are a lot of good stories about this man. Any and all stories would be good to read!

[Edited on 6-7-2006 by Juan del Rio]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:30 AM

We stopped by a couple of years ago to meet the man and the only one home was Mision. We fed him some carrots took some pics and headed down the road. Maybe next time!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:50 AM

Juan
Is Payton still in La Purisima?
Thanks

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 01:50 PM

Where in La Purisima is he? We were there once and want to go back. Is it true that the road from Highway 1 is no longer maintained and is in poor shape?

Thanks
Diane

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 03:49 PM
On Jim Dandy...

Judy, Payton went back to the states to study organic farming. I saw him on a "Huell Howser" California Gold program about six months ago. His citrus farm is still there in Purisima.

JD, you'll find his place as you head into Purisima by making a left at the first "God in the Box" (Jim Dandy term for a roadside shrine) and go down the dirt road towards the river till you see a "California 78" sign posted on the left.

And yes, the road from La Poza Grande to way past Ejido Fancisco Villa is "pothole hell".
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:38 PM

I don't want to take much space away from a thread on Jim, whom I would like to meet someday.

But, "guns are illegal in Mexico" is a common misperception that is not quite true. They are highly regulated and there are many restrictions and complications involved in gun ownership. But, Mexican citizens do have a constitutional right to own firearms for hunting and home defense. Certain calibers are restricted, for example; .45 auto pistols are for police and military only and it's just about impossible to get a permit to hunt with any caliber that's evolved from military origins ( forget 30.06, 7.65 etc.). That's why .270,.240 & 30-30 are the most popular rifles for deer etc. Most ranchers have at least a .22 around for varmints and a shotgun of some kind. Most hunters have to belong to a recognized hunt club to obtain the necessary permits.

It is illegal for foreign tourists to bring in firearms and/or ammo except for hunting. This is a VERY restricted exception. It's not likely you will be able to obtain a hunting permit, bring your own gun and just go hunting on your own. The sport is highly controlled and almost entirely limited to licensed guides and outfitters. Most bird-hunting outfitters can help with the necessary permit to bring in your own shotgun if you just gotta have it and are willing to pay. But, most will also advise you that the process is such a royal pain and expense that you are better off leaving old Betsy at home and using one of their lodge guns.

I would hazard a guess that (in Mexico) at least 90% of all guns owned by Mexicans are unregistered and illegal. For gringo ex-pats it's probably 99% or more. The reason is simple; the excessive over-regulation of legal gun ownership is so onerous it equals out the risk of illegal ownership.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 07:23 PM

Photo of Jim Dandy (in center) taken by Neal Johns a few years ago...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 07:25 PM

Here's the burro Mision (at Jim Dandy's) made famous in Graham Mackintosh's second book...

See more of Neal's photos from that trip at http://vivabaja.com/neal

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 09:50 PM

Jim and I have been friends for about thirty years. Before he moved to LP he worked for me for ten years. I have way to many stories about him then You would believe. In the old days we would go to the desert together and he had a 1972 Yamaha 175. I have seen him jump over Jeeps with that bike. I've seen him water ski behind my fishing boat on the salton sea for 5 miles in his white shirt and levis. I think he would have kept his boots on if he could have got them in the skis.
The one thing I can say about Jim is He is the most friendly caring person I've ever had the pleasure to know and I'm glad he is where he loves to be.
Anybody that gets to meet him will come away feeling they have made a new friend.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.