BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: History of camping in BAJA ....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 05:48 PM
History of camping in BAJA ....

I was working on setting up my new truck camper today and started thinking about all my past setups....

65 BAJA BUG.....took out the rear seat and put a platform in its place made of plywood....slept curled up inside....

76 ford courier.....LOTS of baja miles.....slept in bed of truck(open air)...no camper...could stretch out !!

91 chevy 1500.....with a shell....luxury this time...out of the weather...foam matress....life is good....

02 chevy 1500 ...first 4x4....shell with foam matress (works good why change).....

05 power wagon....POP-UP CAMPER....!!....has shower...toilet...stove...heater...(dvd player and xm-music on the way)....I must be getting soft.....

How have you done it?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:31 PM

It is amazing how we grow to enjoy a little more creacher comforts as we get older.

that sounds like a sweet setup Jim. I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun times in Baja Ca. with it

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 09:15 PM

I think I've been going backwards (sort of)

1996; 23ft. Dolphin motorhome..........I loved that little thing! Went everywhere, did everything.

2000; 30ft. monster! too big, too scary on Mex 1.......couldn't go anywhere, couldn't do anything!

2001; 6 x 6 backpack tent, no ride of my own, just Amtrack and a Nomad that I'd never met before to pick me up so I could join the party (thanks again David K.!)

2002; T-Bird (is anyone seeing a pattern of why I'm always asking about camping gear that is SMALL?!)

2004; Toy 4Runner, with luggage rack! and 3 tents! And good friends Mike and Mary Ann that allow me to leave most of my camping gear in their BOLA garage! Thanks guys, Luv Ya

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Debra]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 09:56 PM

1971-2003 1968 Dodge W200 Pwr Wgn w/Alaskan

2003- 2004 Dodge 2500 Ram Hemi with ?? not finished:lol:

Still breakin' it in (only 45,ooo mi), fun stuff installed:lol:

My ol' PW has many amentities but alas needs major TCL after 750,000 mi.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 10:46 PM

Wow what fun...

My parents started taking me in their new white '65 Jeep Wagoneer. Here it is at Nuevo Mazatlan for Thanksgiving, maybe in '67?...

Then a '72 4WD Suburban...

Then a '73 Ford LTD wagon. (Go to the bottom of this post for the attached photo of it in Laguna Chapala valley on the unpaved Hwy. 1 in July, 1973)

Since I first traveled to Baja on my own at (age 16 in '73)... The Myers Manx (here on the south road out from El Marmol, April, 1974)...

A '75.5 Jeep Cherokee Chief (here between Diablo Dry Lake and San Felipe in Nov., 1975)...

A '77.5 Subaru 4WD wagon (here in Ca?ada el Parral in '78)...

A 1980 Subaru 4WD wagon (back in Parral again early eighties)...

A 1987 Subaru 4WD wagon (behind my young son Chris at Nuevo Mazatlan's beach, 1992)...

Then the 'DRY YEARS' 1993-1999! (nearly no Baja trips or 4WD)

Back in the saddle with my 2001 4WD Tacoma TRD Xtra Cab!(Photo by Bedman on the San Borja road)

Now, a 2005 4 door Tacoma TRD, 4WD (near Rancho El Coyote, last Sept.)...

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:03 PM

That LTD is too classic DK!

All these trucks had to be for both my construction work and Baja so they were heavily abused:

1976 Toyota 2WD Pickup w/ shell(141K when sold)

1985 4WD Ford Ranger w/ shell

1992 4WD Toyota Pickup Extra Cab, no shell(learned to appreciate sleeping under the stars!)(sold it with 225k miles, still going strong)

2000 4WD Chevy Silverado Regular Cab, no shell, 3300 lb payload!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:16 PM

Here's another classic shot of the LTD blasting through the Chapala dust bowl (where we were detoured off the new roadbed because the bridges we not yet built).

My dad actually backed up and re ran the section with me up on the new roadbed to take the photo!

We remembered all to well our 1966 Jeep trip to the tip... Laguna Chapala's dust bowl, before the dry lake bed, was the worst part of the old road!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:18 PM

Here I am (15 1/2 with a Dick Cepek Baja Proven shirt on) congratulating my dad on getting his new 2WD through the dust! We are on the pass beyond Chapala with the great view to the southeast.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 11:21 PM

My mom at the same spot... see the highway under construction... It was finished 5 months later.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 09:12 AM
hmmm

'88-'89...Catalina 34' 6 months cruising baja..ahhhh, the ultimate Baja vehicle (sailboat)

'90-'93....1990 vw Vanogon hard top...great once you got there but getting there sucked...underpowered, no clearance, severe windage..

'93-99.....'88 toyota "custom cab" 4x4 pickup with beat to chit 4 wheel pop top...this truck taught me the meaning of out there..took me anywhere I asked it to, without hickup.

'99-'04....'95 toyota T-100 4x4 with beat to chit 4 wheel pop top...comfort! air, auto, and even 6 cylinders! should still be driving it!!

'04 to present(but not for long!).....'93 toyota t-100 4x4 long bed, with beat to chit 4 wheel pop top..going backwards now. no air, smaller 6 cyl, 2 years older, no back seat....but a great truck off road!

After all these years, I think my tired old pop top needs a new ride...looking for a used tundra 4x4 access cab....

the '88 with pop top on, miss that truck!!

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Tomas Tierra]

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Tomas Tierra]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 09:16 AM
The '93 (without poptop on)

Taking her on a baja ride in a couple of weeks.....maybe her last:(
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 10:02 AM

on our 2 month honeymoon in Baja we had the red truck above with no pop top,, just a fiberglass shell, and a tent, at the time it was luxury..

on our return home, just around the corner from the house, we see this pop top camper on the back of a older nissan pick up..to long for the nissan and way to heavy...my wife turns and says" if only we could find some sucker who wanted to sell one of those, THAT would be great for baja"....

The very next day while I was unpacking the dusty load, one of the groms on the beach wheels by on his skateboard. He asked if I had seen that pop top around the corner that the guy was desperatly trying to sell for $400.......running I was........dropped it on the truck, and instantly fell in love..we went back for another six weeks with the poptop on...( ahh, life before Kids)

Surfer Jim your camping style is about to change dramatically!!!
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 12:27 PM

67 vw bug
68 meyers manx buggy
66 nova ss station wagon
72 impala wagon
73 vw van
64 chevy 4x4
85 chevy 4x4
2001 chevy 4x4
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 12:44 PM

72 Impala Wagon, canned beans, and beer, eh pappy?;)
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 02:18 PM

Lots of good memories...

1950s (1956 to 1960)

Mexican Mercedes 1

1942 Dodge 4X4 WW11 ambulance
Strechers on racks for sleeping
Bed frame welded to the top for a carry rack
Jerry Can holders welded on the fenders
Silver color like the 1950s MBs therefore the name "Mexican Mercedes"

1960, 1970s

Mexican Mercedes 11

1960 VW Kombi (transporter)
(first 7,500 miles on an extended Mexico trip)
Homemade camper that utilized original seat mounting holes
Easy to install, easy to remove, hell to store
Side room made by Enar Miller, Riverside
Over size tires, tumble burro on front (where else?)

1970s

Baja was becoming too crowded; Too many first time tourist, creating many problems. Redirected adventure travel to US areas

1980s

Mexican Mercedes 111

Toyota long bed Extra cab
Shell camper
Over size tires

1990s

Mexican Mercedes 1V

Toyota Pickup
Over size tires
Stronger suspension

Mexican Mercedes V

Toyota 4X4
Bigger, wider tires

<<<1985 >>>>

Mexican Mercedes, JR

13 foot Roustabout travel trailer

Fully contained

Six leaf springs
Reversed spring perches
Wheel wells enlarged for clearance

Rear storage rack
Front storage rack

Extensive exterior & interior modifications

Many, many Baja adventures and many great memories.......and hopefully many more,

dm
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 08:54 PM

From all these postings it seems just about ANYTHING is a good BAJA vehicle....and all it takes is a dream to make it go....

Keep 'em coming.....

Welcome DEAN... to Nomads.....(how about some stories of those early days when you get a chance?)

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by surfer jim]
sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 11:09 PM

68 bronco, too many problems then I rolled it.
87 acura integra, purchased for $100.00 and served me well for three years
98 ranger 4x4 v6. great truck just a little scary when passsing
2000 f-150 4x4. great for passing but a thirsty, and too big for some of those out of the way roads
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 09:38 AM

for a long time in the 70's i had a 58 international panel truck 2 folding beds and a homemade roof rack, this thing was absoultley bullet proof could not hurt it , and was so ugley no one would steal it. would load up with beanie wienies beer and a 20 piece bucket of chicken and head for gonzaga bay , never stuck that pos as it didn't have enought power to spin a wheel .god it would be nice to be young again .
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 06:00 PM

Cessna 177RG Cardinal
Cessna 182
Cessna 210
Beechcraft Bonanza
Beechcraft Baron
Hummer H1
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Cessna 177RG Cardinal
Cessna 182
Cessna 210
Beechcraft Bonanza
Beechcraft Baron
Hummer H1

I like the last vehicle on your list best!!!:yes:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.