BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Portable dvd player for camper....which?
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 05:52 PM
Portable dvd player for camper....which?

I want to get some sort of portable dvd player for my camper...(to watch surf and racing movies of course)....what works and what didn't for you.....
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:19 PM

I have no info but I to am interested in finding out witch one is the best buy Jim.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:21 PM

Toshiba has a combination TV 9" and DVD great little unit.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:35 PM

Why don't you just take a laptop?

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:48 PM

I had a Compaq Presario with DVD drive, but for camping the battery would only last for the first 15-20 minutes of the movie.

I've also been wondering about the "portable" DVD players and how long the batteries are good for. Sooner or later, Consumer Reports will do a comparison but I haven't seen it yet.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:55 PM

Oso get a car adaptor

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:00 PM

I was going to sugget that as well........or use your invertor, I got one at Costco a couple of years ago for $20, funny thing though, I've only used it once....(mango Magies) :lol:

TV/DVD combos are so cheap now, I saw one at WalMart the other day for less than $100, 17" I think it was.

I don't own a DVD player yet, since my son's PlayStation2 plays them and also my LapTop.........but, the next TV I buy I will probably get the combo deal.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I had a Compaq Presario with DVD drive, but for camping the battery would only last for the first 15-20 minutes of the movie.

I've also been wondering about the "portable" DVD players and how long the batteries are good for. Sooner or later, Consumer Reports will do a comparison but I haven't seen it yet.

I got a 12V cord for my Presario so just plug it into the lighter outlet, or a cheap inverter will power it also.
(I've used both with great results) I traveled all across the country with the Presario on the consol in the van running Street Atlas and showing the location with my gps plugged into it.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

I got a 12V cord for my Presario so just plug it into the lighter outlet, or a cheap inverter will power it also.
(I've used both with great results) I traveled all across the country with the Presario on the consol in the van running Street Atlas and showing the location with my gps plugged into it.

that is a nice way to travel

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:13 PM

Hey Lou...........Where did you get the 12V cord for the Presario (I have the same computer) I've been looking for an easy way to keep this thing powered up while on the road, it's the pits when the battery dies in the middle of a home school lesson! :fire:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:16 PM

I went to Compaq on line - this was 4-5 years ago. Think some of the computer stores have universal ones. But the $20 inverter will do the job.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:35 PM

I never ceases to amaze me the gagets that I learn about, I had no idea that a 12v cord was made for a computer (duh!) but then I only learned about the inverter (on this site) a couple of years ago when I bought the one I have,

I also learned here that you can buy an adapter for your cassette car radio to play CD's (I did finally buy myself a CD radio for my birthday)

This is proably old news for most here (but, just in case) Space is always a concern for me, it's a long trip (3days) so smaller is always what I'm looking for. A friend of my came down with me last year and had the coolest set up. I was just a Walkman plugged into battery operated speakers, they looked just like regular computer speakers, worked great! Of course I had to get my own set up.......I found even smaller speakers, (about 4" high, they work really well, as long as your batteries are good, music in the middle of "no where" and no worry about running your ride out of juice!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 10:52 PM

Thanks for the advice, all. But, I gave the Presario to my grandson. (It weighed too much anyway) So now I'll eventually get another newer lighter laptop... probably. But the portable DVD players are getting cheaper all the time. Also, the term "portable" is relative. I like the idea of not being plugged in to a wall or a vehicle and watching, net surfing or (hah) "working" on a plane, in an airport lobby, Dr's office waiting room, in the park, wherever. So, anybody know of such device that will run 2 hrs between charges or switching spare batteries?

El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 10:29 AM

Surfer Jim,
As the portable DVD players became more and more ubiquitous, I waited until the prices started to drop and bought mine a little over a year ago. Of course, the prices have dropped even more and selection has improved so it's probably a good time to jump in.

Gotta say, I don't know what I'd do without it now. I've used it for everything from entertaining the little spud with Elmo DVDs (that voice drives me insane - did you know he's a large African-American dude?) on long car rides to demonstrating videos to clients. It came with a battery which lasts over 2 hours, AC cord/charger and cigarette lighter plug and a compact, padded carry case. Last summer, I was on a flight to the midwest, pulled out my unit :o and rented movie. The guy in the next seat pulled out the exact same unit to listen to a music CD.

Here's another nice feature, with the supplied audio/video cord, you can hook up to another TV or VCR and play the DVD through it. Also, you can reverse the signal and play from another DVD player or VCR into the attached monitor screen.

I bought mine from Costco because of their return policy since I thought it would receive a lot of use and abuse, which it has with no problems. It's the 8.5" Mintek. They had a 10" model as well but it just seemed to big for portability and the 8.5 looked so much nicer on wide screen than the 7". Think I paid about $200. but know they're cheaper now.

Toshiba makes some nice, rugged models too. Just make sure you get all the accessories I mentioned along with 2 headphones.

Happy viewing :bounce::smug:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 02:15 PM

Just came back from COSTCO but store is so big I didn't see any players...will look closer next time.....

Is there a tv/dvd player that is portable also?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 02:23 PM

Jim

The toshiba at Best Buy.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 04:59 PM

Maybe this is the answer?

http://www.myvu.com/

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 11:36 AM

I have a $50 Panasonic 13" tv with a $35 dollar cyberhome DVD player that we run off of a Cobra power inverter. As cheap as they were they have held up great on the road. We also added a Behringer (around 35 bucks) headphone amp into the mix so the driver and co-pilot can listen to music while passengers in the back can watch movies without disturbing the driver. It is a great system that can be put together for very little money.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 11:43 AM

check this out only 79 bucks

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Det...

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 11:45 AM

here is a photo

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.