BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: "Loading up" a truck camper...... interior...
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:01 PM
"Loading up" a truck camper...... interior...

Started putting "stuff" inside the camper.....it is a pop-up so space is limited.....(but everybody has a limit as to what to take with them.....)

How about telling some secrets as to getting the right items in the right places....

How to hold things down so they don't spill/break....

Steps and ladders to get in and on top ....

Sleeping in comfort in hot /cold weather......( keep it "G" rated):lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:26 PM

heavy stuff on the bottom and to the front. fragile things rolled up in the bedding and on the beds. Ice chests covered with sleeping bags. potato chips on top. Gps ,camera and binoculars in a ditty bag in the front next to me.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 07:50 PM

shortboards hanging from inside roof, longboards on top..:yes:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 10:40 PM
You are about to enter......

the Rubbermaid and/or Sterilite zone.

Head to a Walmart or such and check out the bins and cupboard organizers these companies now have. We prefer pulling out small organizing bins to digging through the depths of the cupboards or storage compartments.

Bubblepack is your friend.

Delicate glassware can be put in old socks and stored laying down in bins. I dont like drinking good wine from plastic, if possible.

Stackable bins with lids can be put in corners and bungeed in place if you're willing to put screw eyes into your interior walls. Probably should anchor them with an epoxy or 5200 as the interior walls are usually thin veneer or fiberboard. Cant really thru-bolt most locations.

I am also using a Hidden Hitch receiver up front and a Hitch Haul carrier for "dirty" items like a gas can, an outboard motor, firewood, Weber, briquets, extra propane tank, etc. A head on collision will probably put me in the Gringo Gazette. But it makes for better offroading with it upfront and still allows you to tow something in a pinch. It also keeps some heavy/dirty stuff out of the walkway in the camper itself and makes unloading much quicker.

I have even gone on trips where I placed my entire truckbed box up there and lashed it down with tiedowns and lcablelocked it to the hitch. Lockable outside storage.

Have you tested your fridge in really hot conditions yet, Jim? Some popups dont allow for good exhausting of the freon coils and can be greatly helped by installing 12v exhaust fans at the top of the "chimney". You want good airflow through there. You want to achieve at least a 50 degree drop from outside ambient temps. If it aint doing that, yet the coils are nice and warm, this could be the problem.

Also, make damn sure your fridge door has a good working lock. You sound like you will be doing some offroading. Its no fun getting to a remote place and finding the contents of your fridge rolling around in the back. :mad:
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 07:18 AM

Lets see some pictures of what you are using.
Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Started putting "stuff" inside the camper.....it is a pop-up so space is limited.....(but everybody has a limit as to what to take with them.....)

How about telling some secrets as to getting the right items in the right places....

How to hold things down so they don't spill/break....

Steps and ladders to get in and on top ....

Sleeping in comfort in hot /cold weather......( keep it "G" rated):lol:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Also, make damn sure your fridge door has a good working lock. You sound like you will be doing some offroading. Its no fun getting to a remote place and finding the contents of your fridge rolling around in the back. :mad:

Hook, lots of good info in your post. You are "right ON" about the fridge door. It ONCE happened to me and never again. It was no fun opening up the door to see 20 bottles of Pacifico all broken but one all over the floor among all the other contents - what a mess is was. Never again! A strip or two of duct tape when off roading is in order.
Bob H
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 07:37 AM

"Delicate glassware can be put in old socks and stored laying down in bins. I dont like drinking good wine from plastic, if possible."

Thats why it comes in bottles Hook!!:lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Tomas Tierra]
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 01:20 PM

Senor Hook - you are totally on regarding the poptop fridges - my beloved RC Willett Northstar camper had a Dometic 3-way fridge that never worked worth a damn ( admittedly my idea of ideal camping is San Basilio in July/Aug max temp 116F).

Finally bought a large ARB (a.k.a. Norcold) 12v portable fridge/freezer that worked off 2x6v golf cart batteries and the 3 Siemens solar panels on the roof. Sunnier it got, the better it worked - and no propane worries.

ROb
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 02:09 PM

Mine has an "icebox".....just like the good old days!.....

That idea of the door opening and all the stuff spilling out caught my eye....I can see it happening already....now to stop it.

Went to WAL-MART and saw some of the orgainzers....

Was thinking about how to "lash" down containers for travel also....you are right about nothing strong to mount to....

(A-OK...no camera...yet)
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 03:17 PM

I screwed eye hooks directly into the frame for lashing things down...my camper is older and a bit rough inside..

used the cabinets that came in the camper for a long time to store stuff..just recently tore that whole side of the camper out and am running with the storage containers idea..did most of the cooking outside anyway so don't miss the stove and counter..my ice box was always used for dry food storage so don't miss that either...now once i get there, the space is incredible once you unload the plastic bins..
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 07:27 PM

I use cargo bars similar to thesehttp://www.truckxpressions.com/productsearch.cgi?subcategory=18 and hook HD bungees to each other to keep the light stuff from geting airborne. An old Pre-runner or Gator net works to keep the goods up in the cabover area. On the ceiling I hang up to 4 surfboards and 4 rods strapped to their own secure racks that are close to flush. The full-roof rack handles everything else.

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by A-OK]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 05:00 PM

Actually, you want to have a little bit of stuff coming loose and getting right to the edge of closets, etc., so that when the kid at the checkpoints opens the cupboard, he gets beaned by a can of pork and beans. Kinda speeds up the process. We are in Canada right now and the roads up here are as bad as some of the old baja roads. It sure was fun when the border patrol nasty opened the cupboard and got beaned (literally):lol:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 07:29 PM

Come on... I get a hard time on here when I try to save old batteries to give out at checkpoints:spingrin:....and now you want cans of beans to bonk them....:saint:

Still doing details...got a am/fm/cd player and speakers wired up today....and more cooking items and kitchen things......
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 05:20 PM

Saturday noon...did a trial run up to BIG BEAR on fire roads....maybe 20 miles of graded road....this would be like one of the easiest runs on dirt that BAJA would have.....all the pots, pans, cups, plastic glasses.... came out of the cabinet and onto the floor...even thoughed packed good and padded with two small blankets.....

and....the camper turnbuckles had all come loose ....camper shifted and now must be centered again.....not good.....but shows what must be improved next.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 05:43 PM

Quote:

the camper turnbuckles had all come loose

may be a dumb question, but can you put something like teflon/duct tape on the threads to keep them from loosening? if you needed to you could easily remove the tape and make adjustments....?

[Edited on 6-11-2006 by woody in ob]

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 6-11-2006 at 08:26 AM

jim lock tite every thing you can and double nut it also you can buy velcro straps and that at home depot that can be used for cupboards it has a adhesive backing on it
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2006 at 08:43 AM

At RV supply stores, get cupboard latches that are really positive - have to push a button to open. Use ny-lock nuts whenever possible with loctite.

See if you can run a lock-nut (ny-lock) on the right hand thread side of the turn-buckle (inside the turn-buckle)

And if you still have trouble with the nuts, I have some decals to remind you to "Tighten Your Nuts"

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2006 at 06:57 AM

Looks like I will be back to the store.....thanks
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2006 at 07:51 AM

With my old pick-up camper, I installed a smaller eye hook near each turnbuckle mounts and then connected the center of the turnbuckle to this eye hook with a small wire. This way, the turnbuckle couldn't spin loose.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 6-12-2006 at 09:56 AM
Turnbuckles

After trashing several of the worthless aluminum turnbuckles that came with my 4 Wheeler poptop I pulled them, put in some 1/4" stainless backing plates and got some good bronze turnbuckles (used) from a ship chandlery. The threads are tighter, strength rating is WAY better and they have pre-drilled cotter pin holes so when you get them adjusted the way you want they can be locked in position and not back out.

Have had no problems since switching, been all over Baja backroads, the east Mojave and the Sierras on washboard and rockcrawler roads. Cabinet doors have blown out and the interior looked like a yard sale a couple of times, but the hold downs haven't budged.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.