BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dogs Confiscation RUMOR
awfulart
Nomad

Mood: Wondering what our Nit-Wit elected officials are doing now?

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 06:13 AM
Dogs Confiscation RUMOR

There is an individual on the RV Net forum claiming that dogs are being confiscated by the Police in Mexico for no good reason. I don't believe the story and have asked for specific instances from credible individuals.

If you have a dog in Mexico or have recently taken your dog or dogs to Mexico as we have with no problem please comment on this RUMOR. Thank you.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 06:21 AM

I have never heard of such a thing. sounds like a rumor to me

maybe they are making tamales out of them

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

awfulart
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 06:53 AM

Hmm! My dogs don't like Korean food .

Art
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 07:24 AM

Returned to USA from La Paz in April. Spend six months there with dog and have for past 7 years. Never heard of this rumor. La Paz does have an animal control officer that tries his best to grab street dogs. He works out of the Centro de Salud. They have an active vaccination program and a group looking out for dog welfare (Macotas). The officer has a badge (no, not a "stinking baadge") so maybe the rumor started with badge=police?

By the way, it is not uncommon for a city overrun with strays to reduce the problem by throwing out poisoned meat. We have personally experienced this in Loreto and Todos Santos in the past. Also some individual businesses have done the same. Best keep Fido on a short leash.

If you hear differently, please let us know.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 07:34 AM

This may have some relation to a crackdown by U.S. Customs on Mexican "puppy mills" smuggling puppies less than 8 weeks old into the U.S. This trade concentrates on small breeds which are currently popular. Apparently there is an ample supply of idiots in the U.S. willing to pay several hundred dollars for pups with questionable papers who often turn out sick and do not survive.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords

By the way, it is not uncommon for a city overrun with strays to reduce the problem by throwing out poisoned meat. We have personally experienced this in Loreto and Todos Santos in the past. Also some individual businesses have done the same. Best keep Fido on a short leash.

If you hear differently, please let us know.

this is done in Mulege also and if your dog is a bit noisy sometimes the meat will go over the fence

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 08:06 AM

Boy, if noisy dogs were targeted in Loreto, they would be hip deep in dead dogs!!!:o:o:lol::lol:

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 08:24 AM

well it is a lot quieter here in Mulege than in the past and we don't have as bad of a problam with the dog packs running the streets so the program works. it is just to bad they cant poison the dog owner instead of the dog.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 08:46 AM

If you poison the dog owner, the dog still barks!?!?!
awfulart
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 08:47 AM

Poisoning does not seem to be very humane and I assume is quite painful for the dogs who are the innocent victims of Mexican neglect.

Why not tranquilize them and then deal with it. Of course, that would be more complcated but many areas is Mexico now have organizations that try to Humanely deal with the problem and no one can deny it is a problem. Many dead dogs and some other dead animals can be observed along the roads in Mexico. Maybe the Politicians could take interest in something other than their own self interest. Of course, one can say the same thing about many of the Politicians in the U.S.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by awfulart
Poisoning does not seem to be very humane and I assume is quite painful for the dogs who are the innocent victims of Mexican neglect.

Why not tranquilize them and then deal with it. Of course, that would be more complcated but many areas is Mexico now have organizations that try to Humanely deal with the problem and no one can deny it is a problem. Many dead dogs and some other dead animals can be observed along the roads in Mexico. Maybe the Politicians could take interest in something other than their own self interest. Of course, one can say the same thing about many of the Politicians in the U.S.

now you are dreaming:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

awfulart
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 09:30 AM

Bruce, You are so right, but dreams some times come true.

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 09:55 AM

My wife is envolved with "Animalandia" here in Loreto. They put on free spay and neuter clinics in various locations and there is a permanent clinic being built. They have neutered approx. 450 dogs in the last year and a half. While this isnt a perfect solution, it has made a noticable difference in the number of street dogs. So far we have been warned when the poison trucks are going to be coming around, which seems to happen about once or twice a year.
awfulart
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 10:02 AM

Backninedan, Thats great, perhaps more Americanos could become involved in this type of activity. I wonder what is happening in Mulege, Santa Rosalia along these lines.

Art
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 10:07 AM

Now if they could figure out a way to muffle those loudspeaker trucks, boombox cars, and the roosters that can't tell time. :spingrin:

But then, I guess that's just part of the Loreto atmosphere.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 10:10 AM

I haven't seen or heard of any poisonings being done here in San Felipe by any officials. Maybe twice a year they do have dog catchers roam the town and pick up strays. The only dogs they catch are some ones pet that is very trusting. The beach dogs won't get anywhere close to them.
Again these are street dogs they sometimes pick up. I have never heard of any dogs being confiscated.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 11:25 AM

If you ever saw your dog die from strychnine you might think twice about doing it to others. Sure a slow death works but I'd rather see them run over or shot.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
If you ever saw your dog die from strychnine you might think twice about doing it to others. Sure a slow death works but I'd rather see them run over or shot.

that is right . and thousands of dogs a year die from rat poison from careless dog owners not using it properly and that is an even worse death.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 11:37 AM

yea, thanks Bruce.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 08:29 AM

Over the past few years I have made the crossing some 20 plus times, had my dog with me every time. Once I was asked for the dogs "papers" by Mexican Customs.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.