BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Summer trip....ABREOJOS...Malarrimo Beach?
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 09:34 AM
It was a learning experience

That's my black Jeep up to the frame in mud and sinking fast. We got it out in about an hour. The bronco took about three more hours, with the CJ pulling the Bronco, Neal's Tacoma pulling on the CJ and Jim Heaton's LandCruiser pulling on the Tacoma. Water was over the Bronco's front bumper when it finally pulled loose.

I haven't driven on the beach since then. I'm starting to understand Neal's aversion to water...

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 10:24 AM

Nice 'bottom' Neal :lol:
WIW #67

[Edited on 6-28-2006 by Debra]

Mean people suck!
Jettboy

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 04:36 PM

Ok so I definately won't be heading east when I get to the sand. Thanks for the tips and great pics!

I kinda wish I had part of that 2000hp mule team in the photos above but didn't any hooks or ropes snap? There's gotta be some high speed projectiles in there somewhere.

On another note, I was thinking of taking the long way from Los Angeles to Malarrimo this weekend by going through Mexicali down through Puertocitos then back to the Mex 1 via the off-road route as I love the geology view coming up to San Felipe. But the Puertocitos-Mex 1 route seems like such a steep time penalty to pay (and I haven't done it yet) just to enjoy the view between Mexicali and San Felipe. Especially since the Mex 1 route after Rosario is a great geological view as well.

Anyone have any idea how long the Los Angeles-Bahia Tortugas-Malarrimo drive would take if I went via Puertocitos vs staying on Mex 1 all the way from TJ?

I'm thinking of leaving at 3am from LA so I can make a twilight border crossing. Hate driving Mex 1 at night and would like to get to Mallarimo before nightfall again.

And lastly can anyone recommend scenic spot to setup camp in that area, the GF may not be as thrilled as I about beachcombing junk so I'm required to provide a view.

Thanks again everyone. Please let me know if you plan on being down there this weekend, I'll get the 1st round.

Good god we're going to be stuffed with Lobster in just 72 more hours.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 05:02 PM

Yep, one of the tow straps did break. We then put the vehicles/straps in parallel.

TacoFeliz still has not paid me........:lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
I guess he took the bait and "passed you on the right"; eh Neal?

Good memory, grover!

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 05:17 PM

Jettboy
No dont drive to the right but definitely hike to the right down to McMahon's lagoon. It is beautiful. Take a lightweight rod and reel with you and I bet you will catch dinner. You have to be careful where you walk as there is quicksand, they say.
If GF wants a view you may get blown away as the only views would be from the top of one of the dunes. I would advise that once you get there you check out where the wind is coming from and tuck in a good place somewhere in the arroyo. This place may not even be near the water but you will be happier if you are out of the wind. We had some of the grittiest steaks I have ever not eaten one of the nights we were there.
The beachcombing is awesome. We found a part from a F-14, whale bones, lotsa balloons still inflated(I have to guess that they are off cruise ships), many fish bouys(alas no glass ones), thousands of lightblubs(how can they survive being at sea but not the trip home from the store?), all kinds of airline crap, like c-cktail stirrers, plastic cups. I cant remember what else but it is one of the most interesting 3 days I have ever spent.
So have a blast and please give us pix and a report

[Edited on 6-29-2006 by bajajudy]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 06:22 PM

Jettboy, we went in there a couple of years ago during the 4th holiday. Going in from San Jose de Castro you'll come to what looks like a mini grand canyon, great view. Once down in the canyon you get into a sand wash that leads out to the ocean. As you drive the wash stay on the high pack in the sand. As you get closer to the ocean stop every so often to check your sand pack. Look for any signs of mud under it. We didn't have any trouble getting all the way out but we were aware of the mud boggs under the sand. Mark Naugal (sp) wrote an excellent article that may still be on www.offroad.com that tells of three trucks going out there and one getting stuck in the mud under the sand. On the way out maybe a mile or two from the mouth there was a very large badger. Saw him again coming back the next day. At the mouth of where the wash meets the ocean you may be able to drive upon the high sand hills but it may be too windy. We camped about a 1/4 mile back up the wash out of the strong wind. Have a great time.
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 08:14 PM

Check this out before you go.
May not be such a fun trip???

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=6623#pid48620

Good luck & have fun,

Corky

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 02:45 PM

I dont think that Corky camped where we did.
The only yuck I saw was thousands of plastic bottles. Makes you wish they had never been invented.
But as you go down the beach toward the lagoon there is all kinds of stuff. If you have the time go up into the dunes and see what you can find. That is where we found the F-14 part.
I guess I am assuming that you are going to Malarrimo Beach. I dont remember it looking anything like Corky's pix.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 03:07 PM

Corky sounds like you were west of where we camped when a group of us went down early in 2000. We were directed by a local from Rancho Sant Monica to a road that went up the wash thru what was described as a "Grand Canyon" Didn't have any problems with sand tho. Went to the beach then returned inland in the wash till it bent west so our camp was out of the wind. Lots of tennis shoes and stuff others mentioned.

A local came in about 10p with a boat on a trailer and camped nearer the beach and launched it in the surf in the morning to go fishing.

I'd go back just for the adventure of the trip. Someday maybe I'll post a trip report. Was a 1 week trip that lasted 13 days. (If everything goes as planned, it gets boreing)

:rolleyes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 10:22 PM

Great photos and stories as usual....I am unable to set any date yet as I am selling my condo and on hold until escrow closes...(mid- late July for that)....with all the interest in this area I am sure something will work out....
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 09:25 AM

so is abreojos possible in a 2wd vehicle or is it kind of risky???

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 02:51 PM

Abreojos is one of the best dirt roads in Baja....hard packed sand...ANY vehicle can make it......what they are showing is MALARRIMO Beach (100 miles away).....and driving on the beach / mud flats.....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.