Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 11:06 AM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The water temp here in San Jose has done a nosedive. It was so cold this morning that my husband refused to go in. We have had what I would call a chubasco without the rain for two days. High winds gusting to about 30 coming out of the ssw and very cool. The high on my porch yesterday was only 74.
Two days ago these winds started and everything is covered in a thick layer of dust. When there was a huerta in front of my house, we never had this problem but when the new marina people came through and flattened that, all I have between me and the southerlies that are so prevalent this time of year, is soccer fields and mounds of dirt. Now dont get me wrong, I am happy that the people have their soccers fields back(the old ones are under water) but a little water on them would certainly have helped.
Waiting to see if they come up again today before I attempt to clean the porch(which I did yesterday only to see it get coated with dust again about 1 hour after I finished).
The moral of the story, if there is one, is that if you are going fishing the water is cold, if you are going surfing bring skins or suits, if you want to go for a swim, plan to be chilly. It didnt take my breath away as it does in Jan or Feb but definitely cold.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 11:19 AM

well that should slow down any hurricane development. we need rain not dust. where can we file a complaint?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 12:32 PM

judy-

should be some LARGE surf tommorrow and monday. how about some fotos if you get the chance?

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 12:34 PM

Yes Bruce, all the locals are saying that we wont get a hurricane as long as the water is this cool. Sounds good to me. Whats a little dust
What I would love to see is one of those all day rains with the rain coming straight down, no wind. A good soaker. We havent had any rain in a long time.:no:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 12:41 PM

Woody
It was building this morning. Will try to remember to take the camera to the beach tomorrow on my walk.
I have to say that bouy.com is wrong on the direction of the wind.

BTW I asked a while back and dont think that I got an answer...what is a "small long period swell"
Thanks

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 12:51 PM

the "period" refers to the time (in seconds) between crests of successive waves. short period (8-12 seconds) mean a localized wind swell characterized by peaky junky waves. long period (this next one is 17-20 seconds) means the storm is very far away and the waves were PUMPED out by an IMPRESSIVE storm and are usually well groomed. the term courduroy comes to mind because the waves resemble the material, lined up to the horizon. this next swell will be refered to as large long period, period!

[Edited on 6-17-2006 by woody in ob]

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 12:58 PM

Thank you, Woody, for that interesting info.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
short period (8-12 seconds) mean...
[Edited on 6-17-2006 by woody in ob]

12 seconds is a short period? I don't know about that.

[Edited on 6-18-2006 by JZ]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 09:46 AM

Sorry Woody, forgot the camera
However the waves were not huge. I did count in between and it was between 10 and 12 seconds...interesting.
I have another question for you surfers. As a sailor, I know that foam indicates high winds on the water. Does it indicate the same on the shore....i e. since I saw foam this morning with no local wind, does that mean that I can expect winds to follow.
Thanks

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 03:52 PM

Woody....the waves are huge now.
Get out your sex wax:biggrin:

And there is foam everywhere but still no wind here.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.