Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Condors near San Pedro Martir
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 08:15 PM
Condors near San Pedro Martir

I read somewhere that some condors were released several years ago. Are they near the observatory?

How hard are they to find?

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 08:51 PM

There have been at least 11 condors released in the park. The first batch were the ones that were raised by people with condor puppets on their arms. At least one has died.
Some of them hang out along the eastern escarpment of the sierra. I have seen them at the mouth of canyon Cajon. They can also be seen around the mouth of canyon diablo. That means to me that they should also be visible on ocassion from the obsevatory.
They are not hard to find if you know what frequency their radio transmiters are on. Only the biologists working with them know that.
For you and me, we just have to get lucky.
burro bob
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 08:55 PM

I have seen some in the area of Diablo Canyon a couple years ago. Seems like 3 that day. Great birds.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 10:20 PM

Condors with radios?
Amazing!
Baja Vida and I will be certainly on the lookout for big birds talking on 2 ways.
Do the have highspeed or DSL as well?
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 07:43 AM

Attached is a photo of a condor with his radio. It was sent to me via a friend so I don't know who to credit.
This link will take you to the official San Diego Zoo site about the condors. www.cres.sandiegozoo.org/projects/sp_condors_baja.html.
thebajarunner
They actually have two radios. One for their race frequency and one so they can monitor the weatherman.
If you get close enough to get in radio contact with them, please don't ask for status. They are far too busy talking about where to find the best dead cow and don't have time to find your race car. Also use good radio etiquete. Don't just say "Condor do you copy?" the correct way is to say "Condor, this is bajarunner, do you copy?"
"Do they have highspeed and DSL as well" you asked. Get real, Only the bighorn sheep have DSL in the park.
burro bob
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 07:47 AM

Sorry had to compress this file a little more to make the 50 k limit.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 08:16 AM
They're there all right

As far as finding them, I would try the san diego zoo, as burro bob suggested to see what they can tell you. Alternatively, you may see them almost anywhere on the way up to the Observatory, but you will have to be lucky.

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by Roberto]
Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 09:06 AM

NICE fotos!

If one happens to be in vicinity of the Grand Canyon in Arizona, especially the North Rim or the Vermillion Cliffs, the chances are pretty good that condors can be seen. A couple dozen or more are in the area.

I saw three condors at one time at the North Rim a couple years ago...

Steve in Oro Valley
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 11:37 AM

we saw a couple a few years ago up in the martir.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 07:13 PM

The people of the board sailing resort, way down at Punta San Carlos (south of El Rosario) reported one sighted there, so they have some range!!! I think you will find the story at www.solosports.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2006 at 07:14 AM

They should be careful and not transmit too much or they may get brain cancer from the radios being so close to their head.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 6-20-2006 at 10:16 AM

My first trip up to the Martir will be the second week of July. I hope we get the opportunity to see the condors. We should have some good pictures to share when we get back....

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2006 at 09:12 PM

That would be great Geoff!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2006 at 09:25 PM

Condors can also be seen in the Big Sur area of CA. Last year they came close to Otay Border area. Very cool birds to see.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.