Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: help with the elderly
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 08:10 PM
help with the elderly

We will be moving to Ensenada within the year and am I concerned about what type of assistance might be available for my 87 y/o mother. She is active and alert and lives by herself now but needs help with meals, personal hygiene, and grooming. Would it be difficult finding someone to either come in on a daily basis or even to live in and help with her? Are there living accomodations like we have here in the US that offer similar services? Thank you.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 08:45 PM

Hmmmm. you might want to check those things out b4 you move. Does your mom speak Spanish? If so, you probably won't have any problem. When you say Ensenada, where exactly do you mean? As to "living accomodations like we have here in the US that offer similar services?" what do you mean? If you mean assisted living like an Eskaston Village - NO... we have a friend with an elderly mom who does OK on her own but has Macular Degen (sp)...she lives here (our friend and family) but mom doesn't want anyone helping her that only speaks Spanish...you get the gist of THAT problem. They are now looking to move Mom back to the States to an assisted living facility. Make sure Mom wants to come here before you drag her down here, and that you have the needed help (and remember your US Medicare is no good here...) before you make that big move. It's harder to step backward than forward.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 08:49 PM

you could not have picked a better place to go. peple here in Mexico don't just though their parents in a home and forget them like in the U.S. here they love older peple just like they love babes . you wont have any trouble finding some one to help your mother. and the claimant there is good.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 09:09 PM

Excuse me?

Why would you subject your mother to this? She can receive much better care, especially emergency care, in the States.

Unless this is a must move, I really, really don't understand why you would want to do this.

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 09:34 PM

Dave, I totally agree! The reasons WHY mom is coming with are muy importante! Beachbum1A, you must share those with us for better answers!

[Edited on 6-20-2006 by bajabound2005]
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2006 at 07:35 AM

beachbum1A

Check your U2U please!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2006 at 09:03 AM

I don't understand why you are getting all this negative advice. I know 3 peple that have brought there elderly mothers to Baja to live so they could be closer. and every one has had a good experience. none spoke any Spanish. I will probably be doing the same in a couple of years. my Mother is going to be 80 soon and I don't want to put here in some home. she has been here several times and loves it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:35 PM

Thank you for your imput. It is, and will continue to be very much appreciated.
We're seriously considering having my mother move to Baja with us for two reasons; first is the financial aspect. she receives $1,100 per month from social security and that is all of her income. We're looking to see if there is any type of assisted living here locally that would take care of her for this amount but is doubtful. Second, I am the only family she has left alive and we are very close. I think it would tear her apart is we weren't able to spend time together like we do now. And unfortunately I won't have the income after I retire that would afford me to contribute additional $$$ to her support here in the US. A delima I know, but we'll deal with it like everyone else does when there are tough decisions to be made. We'll probably seek a local woman to come in a few times a week to help out and increase her services as mothers needs demand more, I'm thinking we'd be better off to wait until our move is complete to try and locate some local help but if there's any phone numbers that you could forward, it would be appreciated. Thank you.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:40 PM

I think you will be happy with your decision as long as you plan on keeping here with you. I wouldn't think about bringing my mother and putting her in a home here.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:59 PM
beachbum ,

I believe I answered your question on another forum. Also check my thread here , do a search on "in home health care." And if I didn't tell you cha cha will also help you with someone in ensenada, k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 08:14 PM

Beachbum, you have a lucky mother. These things aren' easy and the solution is different for every family.

We have had no such experience in Baja, but my guess is if you look for care providers after you are settled here, you'll do fine.

Que le vaya bien...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 10:49 AM

Another source of finding help or where to go would be the church. The padre can put you in touch with those you seek or where to go to get it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.