BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thank youDon?t know how to say it!
jimmy smith
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 10:08 AM
Thank youDon?t know how to say it!

Don?t know how to say it!
My gratitude for the overwhelming response of my many friends during my stay in the La Jolla V.A. Hospital is beyond the capacity of my vocabulary. You guys and gals somehow converted a stay in the hospital into a visit to a very good resort.
I?m probably going to offend someone here by leaving them off the list but I?m damned fool enough to try and list all those who turned what should have been a very nasty experience into a holiday.
At the top of the list will be Char Wenger and Chuck Potter who literally saved my bacon. Without them, I would be pushin? up daises as this is written. Char (probably the world?s most dedicated and compassionate Nurse Practitioner) recognized that I was a candidate for the marble orchard. This instigated an operation that was something akin to kidnapping and these two transported this old frame to La Jolla, a little over a thousand miles and deposited me in the best possible medical facility. They devoted the next six weeks to daily visits and catering to my slightest whim; including a daily call to Dona Lupe on Chuck?s cell phone. After my release, Char drove me back to Los Barriles and afforded me a wonderful trip down memory lane. This trip will be covered in a later missive.
Bernie Swaim made it his daily duty to bring me good Starbuck?s Coffee. (Seems the V.A. only supplies de-caf.) Bernie and his lady, Lu Ann made almost daily visits.
Ole Doug Means came through like a champ; loaned me a lap-top and set her up where I had a computer at my bedside. Doug was in several times with that tribe of the little Meanses. I already dig those kids.
At one time or another the whole Kit and Kabootle from the do it in the dirt crowd over at baja.net and Off-Road.com including Pat Chicas, Wild Bill, Buey Sanchez, Capt Mike Goering called and dropped in collectively and individually. They even made up a travel fund for Mike to fly me home.
Needless to say, Dave Big Deal was there at beck and call. This condition has existed fro something over 35 years now. This friendship is probably my proudest possession, discounting Dona Lupe.
Baja California geography and history were well represented by Harry W. Crosby and David Kier. Little darlin? Sara K. accompanied dad.
Then there were my girls; Daughters Sally Lask and Lisa Costello flew in from Los Barriles and Watsonville to be with pop. Along with Char, they set up a polish sausage buffet in my room inviting my room mates and the nurses.
Mike Breining, interrupted my siesta in a taxicab parked in San Ignacio?s Plaza something over 40 years ago, instigating a long standing relationship, Old Mike brought up some Baja California literature that I had never seen.
Dan White finally ran me to ground after a 2 year search to get his copy of my book signed.
Sgt. E. D. Smith SDPD (ret) my perennial porch sitting pal was up several times offering any assistance he could render.
Kudos toEl Gato Loco (Matt and Barbara Pebley) who furnished a week end?s habitation for daughter and later visited me on four south.
Keri (Pyramid Resort) dropped in just in time to see me get wheeled out for a cat scan.
Paulina and Dern, while they did not visit at the hospital, furnished Char and me a nights lodging and a great Irish stew at their digs on Punta Banda when we were homebound.
Dave from Celito Linda was in with news of Juanita, Porkey and the conditions in San Quintin.
Compadre Bob Van Wormer, my neighbor in Los Barriles, dropped in.
Steve Van Wormer delivered me an archeological report on one of his latest investigations. I?d love to do an archeological dig here in Southern Baja with him.
Ken McDowell spent several hours in two visits. Ken was a real source of encouragement and inspiration while my book was in progress.
A big sloppy buss to 'Jeans' who took Sally to her home for a night of girl talk and got her mind off dad.
I can not praise the staff at the V.A. Hospital in La Jolla enough. Their professionalism in dealing with me and my rowdy chums was beyond the call. Kudos especially to floor on floor 4 south (the country club) boss Nurse/practitioner Trish Jensen-Maier who made me her hobby and even flew down to Los Barriles to check on me after I was dismissed.
There were probably others who I have not included here since my medication kept me off in Lala Land a good part of the time. To those I beg forgiveness and cop out to blaming it onto the feelgood pills.
For the lack of a better way to say it: MIL GRACIAS A TODOS!

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by M]
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 10:41 AM
Jimmy

How'd you like the VA in La Jolla. I spent some time there in August in the Heart ward getting a bypass and a new aortic valve. I have never had such good care in my life. They (and this includes the Jerry Pettis VA in Redlands) make private health care look like amatures. I admit the food wasn't that great, but at that price who cares. The entire hospital employees acted like they really cared about you. I wrote a letter to the administrator afterwards telling him how much I enjoyed my stay. I am glad you are getting back to normal as we all miss your stories and you. Hang in there partner.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 11:12 AM
hey Jimmy, did you figure out the trip back

up here? let me know how i can do it coming or going....burned out the right mag flying home from the races sat so the bird is down - was supposed to get to mulege wed or thur for turkey time, we'll see, otherwise it will be Xmas/new years, maybe can meet Buey and Homey when they swing thru to see you! keep battling that gremlin amigo!

[Edited on 11-24-2003 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 11:41 AM
Welcome back!

So glad for all the deserved support you needed and got. Hope all remains well and you are feeling 'up to snuff' again. BIG hugs, M
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 12:46 PM

Jimmy: Thank your friends for being such Good Friends. Skeet/Loreto
Anonymous
Unregistered

thumbup.gif posted on 11-24-2003 at 01:41 PM

Don Jimmy,
For me it was more like any on going history lesson of Baja and its people. Lu Ann and I feel deprived now that we can no longer just drive to La Jolla to get our daily Jimmy fix. You, Sir, are truly blessed in the friends you have rounded up over the years.
I will be forwarding this to a few people and to The V.A. Hospital if you approve.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 07:19 PM
Thank you

Jimmy , Sorry we missed you on our trip in Oct. We were on our way back when you came down. We may try again in late Jan. Keep your head up. Looking at the stars always gives me peace. Glad you are home in Dona Lupe arms safe and sound. The Booksigning is May 1st , looking forward to seeing you here then. k:spingrin::bounce::tumble:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 07:27 PM

Dear Jimmy, the pleasure was ours! You bring such joy and sunshine into everyone's lives, that to miss a visit with you would be a class 1 tragidy! I look forward to the next time we can chat in person, it cannot be too soon! Breakfast in Vista (Sunrise Cafe) is always on me, amigo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 11-24-2003 at 07:46 PM
A big sloppy buss?

Uh...gee, do I wanna know? :o :o

Visiting you was a joy each time. And Sally put me up in Los Barriles, it was the least I could do to offer the same.

I hope to be down there again soon in the New Year and I'll stop by for my "sloppy buss".

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-25-2003 at 10:22 AM

Jimmy,

It was a true privilege to meet you in person. I put the book in our reception area and it is already worn out! What wonderful stories and recollections! I'll swing by on my way home from CSL in January -around the 8th.

All the best, Dan White.
jimmy smith
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 07:19 PM

Sorry Dan,
I have medical appointments in La Jolla on the 5th & 8th of December

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.