Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Question for Surfer Jim - and other surfers
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 03:44 PM
Question for Surfer Jim - and other surfers

Hey Jim,
Have you ever surfed out off Islas Todos Santos? I've heard some wild stories about the surf out there at times. I'd be interested in your comments.
I have not surfed since 1968 (long board days riding the nose, hanging ten, no ankle straps - swam a lot) but still like to watch the surfers in action.
We hope to get down to Asuncion/Tortugas/Malarrimo area when dates are set... (mid August?)
Bob H

[Edited on 6-24-2006 by Bob H]
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 04:48 PM
gets big,real big

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:08 PM
sorry bob h, i'm on a good one.....

i started in 1976, when i was 10. i was embarrassed to surf with a "goon cord" because the guys i looked up to would have laughed at me. your board got washed away and you swam, no problem. now, times have changed and a surfboard DOES NOT come without a GOON CORD. it makes me wonder how/why, when the new generation believes that when the media touts a BIG swell, everyone is out there, regardless of ability. what happens when your GOON CORD breaks? can you swim in the ocean without relying on the lifeguards? or is your GOON CORD a lifeline to your high-class, surfer-oriented lifestyle??????

if it is summer, and you keep a GOON CORD on your board, you're a, ahem, GOON. but, nowadays, that's not really such a bad thing, seeing as how surfer magazine wants you to believe in the dream.......

as to waves off todos santos, no-i've never partaken, but here is me at SALSIPUEDES in december '83, 6 months outta high school. THE WAVE OF MY LIFE!!!!.......the shark wouldn't bite, the bee wouldn't sting, and bugs bunny tip-toe'd through the brush unnoticed.....the day of my life!

6' 5" single fin pintail with goon cord attached..............what's your claim to fame?

[Edited on 6-25-2006 by woody in ob]

[Edited on 6-25-2006 by woody in ob]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:25 PM

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
what's your claim to fame?

Never knew that was called a "goon cord". I will have to search for a photo and take a digital image of it. Don't have any photos of me on a wave, but I have one somewhere with me and my board from the late 60's. But, I remember one time I was sitt'n on my board (South Beach, Miami) looking back at the sets com'n in and right between my legs a 'man-o-war' jelly fish wrapped around my crotch. I got up on my knees and paddled my ass to shore as quickly as possible. The pain was incredible. My heart rate was way up there and I took the rest of the day off. But, I was back the next day going at it again. Thinking back on that day still brings tears to my eyes....

Big waves in the Miami area only occurrs during pre-hurricane conditions. I surfed this stuff during a few hurricanes in my youth... you would have to walk out on a fishing pier clutching your board, throw it in and jump in after it. I totally lost one board doing this, never to be seen again, a 9-foot Hobie. But when you did get going, it was fun and hairy stuff.
Bob H

[Edited on 6-25-2006 by Bob H]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:42 PM
that 'choo, senor nomad?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:49 PM
bruddah bob,

i mean no disrespect. nowdays EVERYONE surfs. if you wrapped a jelly around your loins, hey, i ain't even been there! i only try to add ONE aspect of the "surfer in baja." there is a man? called cardonhugger who will tell of a TOTALLY different experience in the brush. we're all creatures of the dirt, however, some of us wanna return to the sea.................;D

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
i mean no disrespect. nowdays EVERYONE surfs.

Woody, would love to do it again, but my body won't allow it. I just don't have the strength any more. But when I did, it was so much fun being in the ocean as much as possible. The fact that we didn't have "goon cords" really kept you in unbelievable physical condition. Chasing your board was 60% of surfing in those days, maybe more. I'll never forget it or regret it. I was "goofy foot"..... if that term still applies.
:biggrin:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 07:00 PM
mister bob h

it still applies. and yes, you were goofy, you probably still are goofy, and you belong to a select group of human beings who have been TOUCHED, for lack of a better term.

carrying on the stoke, i am-

woody in ob

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
mister bob h
it still applies. and yes, you were goofy, you probably still are goofy, and you belong to a select group of human beings who have been TOUCHED, for lack of a better term.

carrying on the stoke, i am-
woody in ob

That was GREAT! And, I appreciate the respect. We should have a taco (or two) and a cerveza (or few) together some day soon.
Bob H
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 08:28 PM

Never surfed (or even seen) TODOS.....no desire to surf BIG waves for me....just too much trouble for the most part....too old now for such stuff anyway:lol:.....my desire is for 4-6 feet for the most part.....
cardonhugger

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 09:54 AM

SOBERED UP YET SURFER/TIERRA/WOODCHUCK IN EL CAJON/OB?????

Amazing....Recently returned from a remote Baja trip, SOLO, for 12 days; saw no others and thought I'd check what the surfin' heroes were blabbin' about and Woodrow is calling me out, all wasted on OB day!!!

This from he who has to travel with 4 other vehicules(SURFERS call it a wrecking crew) with giant propane tanks to fuel numerous "streetlights" in wilderness areas...along with Quads to rip along the beach and across terrain in an area that is a protected NATIONAL PRESERVE. Nice respect with the dead coyote also; Did its carcass and your machetes keep all those other scary wild "dogs" away? You seem to post some dead body on just about every trip....weird dude or what???

Was interesting to see Sharksbaja's post a while back about leaving some discovery for others...you surfin' David K's should realize your discoveries and names(and photos) are accessable to the internet surfing world, not just your Nomad buddies. So don't spill the beans with all you big, new trips, rookies.

So Woodrow, have another drink, and look into some of that cheap housing in Yuma...it's alot closer to your El Cajon home....
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 11:19 AM
Since I'm being called out,

" your discoveries and names and photos are accessible to the internet surfing world"

yes but gps directions have been withheld to protect the real baja guys..

I'm sure Cardonhugger, your off the beaten path surf adventure would be very hard to recreate with a name (made up by you or not) and a photo..I bet this rookie has done that trip a few times as well..

Also the average surfer searching the internet for new surfspots aint gunna dig the back roads of baja..

yeah I posted a photo of a surfspot looking good ( and caught a bunch of chit from a coupla guys who have never even surfed it)..but in reality its a spot like that whole shark park episode in the mags right now...its not a surf spot!! its just some photos that make it look like a surf spot..If you were to travel all the way to shark park (foul area at san miguel island) or to mummies left in baja, you would be very disappointed.. cause neither of them are worth a chit....but the photos make them look unreal..

So simma down cactus groper..nobody is going to invade your sacred spots, not of my doing anyways....below me..

[Edited on 6-25-2006 by Tomas Tierra]

[Edited on 6-25-2006 by Tomas Tierra]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 11:32 AM

B
L
O
W

M
E

a kiss when you're leaving..........

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 11:39 AM

"......you surfin' David K's ....."

Should I be upset or greatfull ??:lol::lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 11:06 PM

Is it just me or is someone not making sense here.....maybe I am a ...."surfin' hero".....:o
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 01:14 PM

Cardonhugger is right.
If you value at-risk places, you don't babble about them on the Web.
Common sense.

[Edited on 6-26-2006 by Slowmad]
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 03:26 PM

Sporting a built-in 6-mil these days myself.
With the advancements in wetsuit tech, I should be able to handle Alaska in a vest.
:rolleyes:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
that 'choo, senor nomad?

Ummm... riiiiight. That's way, way, way outta my league.

Taylor Knox's K2-award-winning shot from '98 I believe. I think that photo won him $50,000 (U.S.).

Another:

[Edited on 6-27-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 07:25 PM

Senior Hugger de Cardon, et. al:

Doubtless a man of your ilk would ever stoop to reading such drivel as that which is printed in a mainstream periodical, but if by chance you find yourself sitting in the anti room of your local parlor waiting for your next quaffing, turn to page 70 of the most recent issue of SURFING magazine.

There you will find the latest "Reader Challange" (a term used rather loosely, I suspect) enticing the entire surfing world to use "Google Earth" to "find" a "new" surf break using (you guessed it!) the internet.

(Me thinks you have larger fish to fry then the occasional post of a surf trip here on good 'ol Baja Nomad.)

Go get 'em, defender of the right! (Or left, as the case may be.) Sally forth on your steed of foam, O founding member of the Sacred Society of the Secret Spots! Decry the media for their foul and dispicable use of technology to desecrate the very soul of surfing... the Solo Surf Trip!

The jig is up! Now every wanna' be surf-spot discoverer will be pouring over ALL the points, river-mouths, sand-bars, beach-breaks and reefs in the entire PENINSULA! Plotting their next "surf-and-destroy" mission, replete with four wheel drive vehicles ( or should I say "vehicules" (a foreign spelling, mayhaps?)), sand-toys, dune-buggies, wave-runners.... all in the name of CLAIMING a spot! HOW COULD THEY!!!

I suppose your only solace will be your knowledge of the fact that the reality of getting there FAR out-weighs the fantasy of seeing it on a satellite image. (You said it yourself: "Recently returned from a remote Baja trip, SOLO, for 12 days; saw no others".)

So fear not my spine-embracing solo surf guru, the dream lives on. ('cept you best beware about doing that a-la-natural wetsuit change... you might just be on candid satellite camera!)

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.