Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja PFM
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

wow.gif posted on 6-28-2006 at 08:51 AM
Baja PFM

While visiting La Paz this past week, my husband HAD to go into the new bookstore in town. It is in the old gov?t building right across from Dorians. I left him in there to drool over all the books and headed to Dorians.
When we hooked back up he told me this story: He was looking at the books and this nice young man came up to him and said, ?Can you help me?? Jim said,? Well I don?t know?? Ok enough of all that punctuation?The kid was looking for a book in English and needed the author as that is how the records are kept in this store. At this point Jim is wondering if he has a sign on his forehead that says?I am a book salesman? or if someone has taped a sign on his back that said the same. The kid says I need a copy of ?To Kill a Mockingbird? in Spanish do you know who wrote it. Jim says, Harper Lee, why do you ask(he is thinking?and more particularly why did you decide to ask me). The kid says that he looks American and he figured that he might know. So they continue a literary conversation for a while and then the kid asks so what can I do to help you since you helped me. Jim tells him what he does and the kid takes him over to introduce him to the manager of the store who speaks very little English. The kid has a degree in languages and is teaching English and German at the Universitad in La Paz. The manager tells Jim that she has many requests for books in English and will give the people our website and phone number and even perhaps buy some books from us. Jim and the kid parted company and Jim was still smiling when I saw him. He told me about this really nice kid he had met and how wonderful things like this happen all the time in Baja.
Ok so we are starving and stop in Super Burrito, El Authentico, which is by far the hottest place I have ever eaten. We order, ask that they turn on the fan overhead and chugalug the Cokes that they bring. MTV is blaring on the tv. This older Mexican guy walks in and asks for a glass of water. I have my back to him but Jim sees that he is selling??????you guessed it books. He also walks right up to Jim and asks him if he might be interested in buying some books. I told Jim that his neon sign was flashing again and off they go to discuss books. Jim buys a book on Baja that he had never seen before and the guy tells him that he lives in Tijuana and is just traveling around Baja selling books and maps. With that Jim walks him down the street to our truck and opens the back door. The guy peers inside and sees the hundreds of books and maps. His eyes grew very wide and in English he said WOW.
Now that kind of stuff is magical and it happens a lot here as you all know. Pure F-ing Magic, I?d say

Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 10:11 AM

Could be that besides being nice, you look nice too?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 05:18 PM

I think Durango is on the right track. I'd guess that you and your hubby appear aware and interested in the people and world around you which makes you approachable. The fact that you appreciate and consider this kind of experience "magical" is reassuring that it's happening to the right people.
(Don't want to waste it on grouchy people !).

You're right- things like that do seem to happen more often on that peninsula. Why books, when it could have been shoes or frisbees or no commonality at all in your experiences ?

I love that kind of stuff.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

smile.gif posted on 6-28-2006 at 07:49 PM
What a neat story.

I DO believe there is something to be said for that "approachable" vibe!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 08:05 PM

What a great day you had!!! Agree with the above comments. You obviously go out
of your way to help others ... it comes right back to you!!!!

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
sneezerdog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 08:03 AM

Nice story Judy, it just confirms that the "I sell books" sign I put on Jaime's back, and the "I'm with him" with the arrow on it sign I put on your back when you weren' t looking are still there! Hope you're staying cool and that Jim's mom is enjoying herself!

Dave
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 06:51 PM

Quote:

Now that kind of stuff is magical and it happens a lot here as you all know. Pure F-ing Magic, I?d say

When I lived in La Paz we had a saying "En La Paz todo es posible" ;D
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 07:15 PM

I don't think it is just La Paz, but living here I experience it a lot, sometimes I think its the Mexican wanting to practice English.

[Edited on 6-30-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.