Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: No booze here
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 08:30 AM
No booze here

The depositos are closed and the markets have something across them to keep the beer coolers closed.
I understand that the tourist places can serve...i e hotels. But since I dont hang out in those places, I have no first hand info.
Fortunately, when I went to buy some beer last night my friends told me that this was happening so I came back to the house and picked up another case of bottles and I am all set.:P

This photo was taken years ago but I always liked it so thought that I would share it. This deposito is now a real estate office.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 08:42 AM

Sorry I assume too much.
I am in San Jose del Cabo, BCS

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:59 AM

Wow, a real estate office??? I used to love that deposito..It was like coming to heavens gates when you came off that east cape road..Some of the thirstiest times of my life were quenched there.....

R.I.P.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 02:58 PM

Sorry to hear that your local officials decided that you guys were roudy drunks down there in San Joe. Here in San Felipe we are all quiet and respectable drunks so we get to drink.
The law was never intended to stop the sale of alcohol at election time. Instead it was meant as way for others to make a few bucks for a short period of time.
Here is how to buy beer on an election day.
1. Look for an old man in a cowboy hat. Some times they are hard to spot. Look in shady spots and listen for the sound of dominos being mixed up.
2. When they are in between games ask the old man if he has any beer to sell. He will say no but that for a hundred pesos he can get you a six pack.
3. Give the old man the money. Don't worry he'll be back, it's where the shade is.
4. The old man will go to the back door of the liquor store that his brother/cousin/nephew, or friend since childhood owns.
5. They will give the old man a dirty look that says something like "what did you do with the last two six packs we sold you an hour ago?". But they will still sell him more.
6. They will get the beer from a special pile in the store room that doesn't have any "crime scene tape" over it. Only the coolers with tape on them are off limits.
7. The old man will return with a six for you and a six for the other domino players.
8. If you pass the police on the way out of town, toss an empty can out so they can see that you found beer. The will instantly head to the old mans house to get a cold one. Don't worry they know how to find the old geezer, he's their uncle.
burro bob
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by burro bob
Sorry to hear that your local officials decided that you guys were roudy drunks down there in San Joe. Here in San Felipe we are all quiet and respectable drunks so we get to drink.
The law was never intended to stop the sale of alcohol at election time. Instead it was meant as way for others to make a few bucks for a short period of time.
1. Look for an old man in a cowboy hat. Some times they are hard to spot. Look in shady spots and listen for the sound of dominos being mixed up.
2. When they are in between games ask the old man if he has any beer to sell. He will say no but that for a hundred pesos he can get you a six pack.
3. Give the old man the money. Don't worry he'll be back, it's where the shade is.
4. The old man will go to the back door of the liquor store that his brother/cousin/nephew, or friend since childhood owns.
5. They will give the old man a dirty look that says something like "what did you do with the last two six packs we sold you an hour ago?". But they will still sell him more.
6. They will get the beer from a special pile in the store room that doesn't have any "crime scene tape" over it. Only the coolers with tape on them are off limits.
7. The old man will return with a six for you and a six for the other domino players.
8. If you pass the police on the way out of town, toss an empty can out so they can see that you found beer. The will instantly head to the old mans house to get a cold one. Don't worry they know how to find the old geezer, he's their uncle.
burro bob

Only in small towns. yes::yes::yes::yes:

[Edited on 7-2-2006 by jdtrotter]

[Edited on 7-2-2006 by jdtrotter]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Wow, a real estate office??? I used to love that deposito..It was like coming to heavens gates when you came off that east cape road..Some of the thirstiest times of my life were quenched there.....

R.I.P.

Well when you come in from the East Cape now you dont even see this building; hell, you dont even see La Playa.
You come in on a paved road, come to a traffic circle, take a right, next circle do the same and you are on the road to SJC. The businesses in the village are hurting. While at one of these very businesses this morningl buying some tortillas, I noticed that there will be a new restaurant in town. Will check it out and do a review. From what I understood, it will be a seafood restaurant. Hopefully it will be open at night as the only place in town now is the hot dog guy. Well, La Playita Restaurant is open but I certainly would not eat there. And what a shame. Such a beautiful location.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 06:06 PM

No booze CCC La Paz.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 07:22 PM

Bars closed at mid-night last night in San Carlos, Sonora.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by burro bob
burro bob

This is GREAT Rob, I am still laughing.....wornout

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 08:48 PM
OK folks, here's the deal..

(At least in Rosarito.)

ONLY establishments that serve booze and food are allowed open, no package stores. Also, booze cannot be served unless accompanied by food. The Liquor board also reserves the right to suspend all liquor sales if 'it' gets out of hand.

Lots of places assume they can be open and will probably get padlocked and fined. (Starting with the gringo bars. :biggrin: )

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 7-2-2006 at 06:52 AM
It's Good Thing!

Just think of all the money that was saved last night and today if you went to Anthony's or the Paris club in Ensenada:lol::lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 08:42 AM

From Sundog's site

UNION-TRIBUNE
July 1, 2006

TIJUANA ? Bars and restaurants across Baja California will sell
alcohol this weekend, ending the traditional federal election day ban
on liquor.

All five of the state's municipalities agreed to lift the ban
following a reform to Mexico's federal electoral law approved earlier
this year.

In Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali and Rosarito Beach, the ban is
completely lifted.
Only Ensenada is maintaining a partial ban until 6 p.m. Sunday. Bars
and restaurants will be allowed to offer liquor, but sales of bottles
will be banned in supermarkets and liquor stores until polls close in
the presidential election.

Mexico's alcohol ban dates back to Gen. Plutarco Elias Calles, then
the governor of Sonora, who forbade the sale of alcohol in 1915
during a period of political crisis in the country.

Baja California lifted the alcohol ban in state-run elections several
years ago. Mexico's Chamber of Deputies in February instituted
reforms that cleared the way for local governments to decide whether
to lift the ban.

:coolup:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.