Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto Lots
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:08 AM
Loreto Lots

Hello,
I heard that all the lots from Loreto to Puerto Escondido have been sold to either individual buyers or to developers. Is this the case? Will the values of these lots continue to go up in price? Thanks
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:50 AM

There are several lots with for sale signs on them here in Nopolo.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 10:58 AM

they will probably continue to go up in price for the time being

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 12:08 PM
Nopolo Lots

I drove through Nopolo when I was in Loreto. A lot of developement going on. I hear the lots are very expensive there. I also hear that they are building a new hospital in town. Seems like the Loreto area is growing in leaps and bounds.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 12:21 PM

my advice is the same as in the USA and Mexico believes non of what you hear and only half what you see because your usally drawing conclusions or wishfull thinking

jerry and judi
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 12:43 PM

Ahhhhh. wishfull thinking...........maybe in reverse....
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 12:59 PM

I was just in Loreto for 2 weeks for fishing. It seems that property prices have gone through the roof, much development taking place, and much of the coast line from the highway is fenced off (probably from the land being sold). The homes on the north side of Loreto on the beach are huge. I have 8 years left in the Coast Guard here in the states, then I can retire. I figure if I buy something now in a place that I greatly enjoy, I can start building a house by the time I retire from the Coast Guard. Does this make sense to do? I know I will be paying the taxes etc. every year even if I am not living there. The first time I fished in Loreto was 15 years ago. I remember the Nopolo development back then, and its still going on. From what I understand, many of the "baby boomers" will be moving into the area.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 08:32 AM

drzura

Yes it makes sense to purchase land sooner rather than later, because prices will indeed continue to escalate. HOWEVER, in my opinion, rather than deciding on Loreto primarily for the sake of fishing might not be the wisest plan. I think you should research the hell out of several different areas. But first, you need to decide what kind of lifestyle you want. Would you be living on the Baja full time, or spending time between here & the states? Do you want to live in or near a tourist destination? A sleepy little fishing village? A larger, more progressive town? What are your "HAVE-to-haves"....in terms of surroundings, lifestyle, medical requirements, social, cultural, readily available access to various things, i.e., could you live without imported dairy products, milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, butter; things you don't think about because they're so readily available anywhere in the states. What could you happily live without that you currently take for granted? A two-week fishing trip is a vacation. Living here is a different scenario & most people would look for different qualities & amenities for a full-time residence than they would for a vacation destination. In short, if you research it well & are flexible in your expectations, then you'll hopefully make better educated decisions & be much happier than if you just pick a spot for what could prove to be the wrong reasons in the long term. It's the old "Be careful what you wish for; what do you do with it once you get it?" scenario! Is what you like about Loreto today still going to be there in 8 years when you retire? Will the growth that's been slowly happening for years & purportedly supposed to escalate leave Loreto with any of the characteristics that attract you today? Or could it possibly become something unrecognizable to your dream of today? In my experience, the people who know their own mind & lifestyle requirements & research the hell out of what a move here will actually mean to their lives, are far happier living here. Those that simply pick a spot & move are often disallusioned because of their pre-conceived expectations. You need to be able to leave most of your typically "gringo" expectations at the border to a certain degree! That said, you've made an excellent decision by beginning to ask questions here. There's a wealth of information on this site, take advantage of all the knowledge, experience, mistakes, but mostly the successes of others!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 08:43 AM

long legs you said it all very well and i agree but i dont know anyone that can tell me what anywhere is going to look like in 8 years the whole world is changing fast

jerry and judi
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 12:54 PM

Jerry

Good point! We can't accurate or totally predict whether any area will boom or bust! But the point was knowing what you want & expect & having realistic expectations, then doing research, research, research!! What attracts anyone to a particular area today may or may not be status quo 8 years down the road.

One thing I forgot to address for Drzura is that once you buy land & pay in the neighborhood of $3,000-4,000 equivalent USD in fideicomiso & associated Notario fees, your annual outlay for owning property down here would be roughly $500-$550 a year...annual fideicomiso fee & property taxes! And taxes are ridiculously low, by our standards, especially on unimproved land. My annual taxes this year on improved land were around $100 USD equivalent. So taxes shouldn't be a show-stopper.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 02:10 PM

longlegs has some very good advice and I'll be following this thread closely.

I'm already retired from the CG (CWO4-Eng) and was looking for property in BCS to set up a palapa and my RV for the winter, primarily around Mulege and the Bay of Concepcion. However, the talk of major developments has me rethinking the whole thing and exploring other Baja possibilities.

Also, trips into mainland Mexico has me looking at other areas of Mexico and possibly Central America.

If, like me, you plan on doing a lot of RV'ing, don't make any decisions until you've personally checked out all possibilities. Unless you're investing strictly for future profits. Which isn't a bad idea in some areas.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 02:47 PM

The property taxes on unimproved land are about 35% more than on improved land in the La Paz area, this is to encourage building instead of people building a palapa for their RV, other areas of the Baja I don't know if this happens.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 02:52 PM

Thanks comitan

It's things like that that can trip you up.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 03:31 PM

my proterty tax in loreto on one lot was$10.27 last year cant wait to build and get it down to around$3.50?? so i can invest in some more property:lol::lol:

be carefull on building on leasted land the max term of a lease is 10 yrs no matter what the paper says

jerry and judi
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 06:43 PM

I have fished many places in Baja the last 20 years. I have also been to Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica and around the world for that matter. There is nothing like a nice drive down the Baja and the breath taking scenery. The first time I fished at Juancalito, it was nothing but a fish camp with no housing developement. Those were the days when we used to camp in 100 degree weather. The only amenities that I would need would be a little A.C. after a day on the water. I can picture myself when I retire sittin under a palapa drinking a few beers lookin at the water, enjoying the simple life. At first, I would go down temporarily (fishing trips etc.) with the intention of moving down permanately a little later. I am thinkin of building a place and possibly leasing it for 6 months a year until I can do that (seems to always be snow buzzards wanting to get out of the cold for the winter).:lol:
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 09:11 AM
Check your U2U

drzura,

Please check your U2U.

PS my dad was WW2 Coast Guard radioman.... Bravo CG ! ! Thanks for your service to country and mariners.

:)

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 07:16 AM

drzura

check out thread Leaving Hawaai

Punta Abreojos

djh just recently purchased his lot in Loreto from me. I'm sure he has some valuable advice.

Capt. George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 07:42 AM

On Calle Jordan, between the malecon and callejon Pipila, north side of the street, there is a large lot with a for sale by owner sign on it....

Very close to the water. Nice stone fence, no buildings.

There is a phone # listed on the sign.... I think I saved it in my Loreto cell phone memory (I have friends looking in my LTO neighborhood also...)

If you or a fellow Nomad is looking, you're welcomed to U2U or Email me and I'll retrieve the #.

Loreto prices are escalating quite rapidly.... One of my neighbors just "sold" (I believe it is pending closing, actually) a lot (a very nice - large lot, well vegetated, fenced, with a shop and small quarters for a caretaker, but no house) for $430K. I almost fell over in the dusty cactus when I heard that!!

IF you are sure you'd like to own and live in Loreto, sooner rather than later may mean the difference between affordability (or not) for many of us.

:O

davidjameshunt@hotmail.com

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.