Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Observations
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 04:02 PM
Baja Observations

Observation number one:

With the enormous number of trucks and buses coupled with an equally large number of pedestrians gave this poster a vision of gridlock ala Baja Norte. Very slow, sometimes scary and dangerous.

For travelers going south the two places that are most cumbersome are the Punta Colonet area and San Quintin. This will just be unbelievable in years to come given the rate of agricultural growth. In just three years I've seen an exponential factor. This is a boon for commerce and the economy.

What will happen if they put in a container terminal(s). Purported destined to be as busy as L.A.s would at least require a new four lane road all the way to Ensenada. I saw nothing like that. Did I miss something?:?::lol:

tomorrow: #2

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 04:49 PM

Think your kinda ahead of the game sharks, you don't expext them to build the hwy and they haven't even started tyhe terminal. I'll bet that when its time it will be done even in Mexico, but a lot hinges on the new president as wheather it will ever get done.(the terminal)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 04:52 PM

I have noticed the same traffic situation in this area.....big rigs and SLOW moving local vehicles...it is hard at times to adjust the American driving style to that pace....my solution is drive at NIGHT.....what happens then is there are many "police" in these areas and you feel like a target for them...as you say it can only get worse....
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 04:56 PM

I keep shaking my head at the growth of traffic between Ensenada and the checkpoint heading south. I can only imagine the area near the big box store at Christmas time.

Zac

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 05:09 PM
The game is fast paced

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Think your kinda ahead of the game sharks, you don't expext them to build the hwy and they haven't even started tyhe terminal. I'll bet that when its time it will be done even in Mexico, but a lot hinges on the new president as wheather it will ever get done.(the terminal)

even in Baja....haha. Look at Rosarito....good grief, thars gold in them thar hills!
This time of year produce picking and tending involves large numbers of personas and trucks in the agra region. The current road can't really keep up with the current growth and volume even with the improvements being made right now. Does anyone have an idea how many Americans (or Canaadians for that matter) live in this immediate area? I realize that tourism is also important for commerce there, but how many would like to spend extended time there? :?:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 07:13 PM

sharks, you're right. it's gonna get so bad that they MUST build another route for all the traffic that will result from the terminal/mineral operation. the stretch from san vicente thru san quintin is sometimes interminable....

the only option currently available is to make sure to time your passage thru san quintin before 6am, as jim says.

[Edited on 7-3-2006 by woody in ob]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 07:34 PM

didn't I here that they were going to build a rail rode down to the terminal?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 10:26 PM

Think Bruce is correcty. It was mentioned inearlier reports of the project. A railroad is called for heading east to Mexicali/Yuma area at least as a large portion of the traffic they want is destined for eastern parts of the US. While a rail line is more difficult to construct, it can handle much more freight traffic than a highway.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 10:31 PM
Really?

Time to invest!;D:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2006 at 10:59 PM

http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/fideicomiso/avances.htm

Billion(s) on an LNG plant near Bajamar. New four lane road to Otay. Co-ink-e-dink?

Have you been to LA/Long Beach port lately? Muchos barcas waiting for unload.

I will NOT be suprised when the new container port in Colonet area and the railroad get built. I just hope I live to see it. :lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 06:26 AM

Sharks, down south here we have stricter traffic laws. Coke and propane trucks have to pull over and let us all pass and funerals all have a two-car limit. The thing about the train kinda scares me. I've never had to pass a train before.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 07:34 AM

We won't have to worry about the Ag. business in San Q and surrounding areas much longer...they are sucking the aquifers dry and will have no more water soon enough...
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 07:48 AM

Recently, a small stretch of the Transpeninsular between Chapultepec and Ensenada was improved, both to widen the road in some spots and to of course smooth the surface. Based on my nonprofessional observation of the time and resources involved, I would guess that the highway from Colonet to Ensenada will be completed in 376 years. Then they can start working on the port in earnest.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 7-3-2006 by bajabound2005]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
The thing about the train kinda scares me. I've never had to pass a train before.

:lol::lol::lol:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 08:01 AM

Bajalou - where can we find more on the project you refer to please?

thank you, Lori
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 08:15 AM
BajaLou/Cabo Magic

The British laid out the railroad line from San Quintin to Colonet, Enseneda and on over to Yuma to connect with the Americans railroads to all points east. The track only got to Colonet but the right of way was laid out way back in the 1890's.

Read "Baja California Railways" by John A Kirchner--great book and if someone wishes to invest they can use this to see the route. Doubt that it will do much good because that stuff was probably bought up before we even heard of the new Port.

Never happened then but I bet Mateo will live to see this attempt succeed and change Baja Norte as nothing else has.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 09:00 AM

I'll look and see if I can find the reference for the current project.

Ona historic note, the last of the Nevada mining railroads, the Tonopah and Tidewater RR built around 1905 from the gold mining areas in western Nevada planned go to Ensenada as the "Tidewater" in the company name. Then only built to around Ludlow CA where the connected with the ATSF. But their plan was about the same route as the one Bernie mentioned.

:rolleyes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.