Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto native driving a Calif. Lic. truck to Loreto
Jerry K

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 07:42 PM
Loreto native driving a Calif. Lic. truck to Loreto

I now have my home on Calle Davis almost finished. We are working on the most important feature,the upstairs bar.

Have any of you had experience of having a Loreto native, licensed, driving your vehicle from across the border with a California registration? I have purchased a truck and want to get it to Loreto quickly.

I am not worried about my driver but only at the inspection station half way down.

During my last visit, I heard a lot of noise coming from 24 Calle Davis but did not have a chance to stop. Will do that in early December.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 08:22 PM
Getting around Greo Negro

A few years ago we had lost our truck papers along with our tourist pass. We were heading north after a month in Mulege. After talking to some of the local americans we were told to go through Grero past the bank and come out by the airport back to Hy 1. since then we have done that going both ways mainly because we go into town every time and it is shorted if you are going to the bank. We have never had any problems. The army has stoped us a couple of times but we explain that we are just exploring around and they just say ok.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 08:58 PM

By "native" I assume you mean national? If so be aware it is illegal for a national to drive a U.S. plated vehicle unless they also have a U.S. drivers license. If stopped the car can be confiscated.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2003 at 07:03 AM

Jerry,
I would tend to be in Dave's court on having a Mexican national drive down, without "proper" paperwork in hand.
Not sure if "importation" of the vehical would solve your problem.

Kristian
Jerry K

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-28-2003 at 09:09 AM

Thank you for the info. I think I will drive myself.

The porch bar will be open soon!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2003 at 09:54 AM

Jerry K It would be wise to drive the Truck yourself. Many years ago I had Enrique Murillo driving me from San Nicolas to Loreto to the Hospital. I was very sick it still cost me 80.00 pesos for the Ticket. You would be inviting Trouble!!Skeet/Loreto
Look out for Capt. George!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 12-1-2003 at 12:46 PM
I have personal experience in this

As I sat in the passenger seat of My Ford Ranger, California Plated, with my week-old son in my lap and my husband driving, we were pulled over by the federales.

We live in Miramar (Loreto) and we were crossing the highway to go into town. We weren't 30 seconds on the road when we were pulled over.

The officer threatened to confiscate my truck right on the spot because Francisco was driving. Francisco is my husband, a local Loretano with a Loreto Drivers License and we were in MY truck. We talked our way out of it then the following week we took the truck to Tijuana and imported it. No we don't have to worry.

Big no, no and god help you if there's an accident. Don't do it man!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-1-2003 at 06:37 PM

I concurr with the majority opinion. Absolutely, in no uncertain terms, do not do it. No way no how. You are looking at losing the truck.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.