Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My Baja-inspired shopping list
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

thumbup.gif posted on 7-9-2006 at 11:08 AM
My Baja-inspired shopping list

My wife and I are leaving for Scandanavia later this week, and in the gift bag for our friends are some Rubicon-Express t-shirts and the DVD "Dust To Glory". We're visiting with an "Auto-friendly"couple who are not all bent on public-transportation, and the ills of "OFf-RoAd VeHiClEs" like my Eco-Inlaws from Northern CA. :o Sheesh...I never knew the word Jeep could inspire 4 letter words before meeting these people...:mad:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 11:19 AM
Ken-----

----talk about the Polar opposite of Baja---------wow, have a great trip, and not ALL of the Nor-Cal folks are eco-nuts, believe me. :lol:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 12:24 PM
There are six thousand miles of dirt roads in the McCloud Ranger District ALONE.

Although I don't ride any more, in the last few years we did, we NEVER saw another motorcycle. That may be different now, but I can say that a VERY high percentage of people living here in the *real* Northern California (North of Chico) own a 4 x 4 something, and only the government blocks access to the roads.

I think it is all about population density and playing where you live. People seem to be less sensitive about tearing up the environment in someone else's back yard.

Have fun traveling. Be safe!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 05:05 PM

Ken... have a great trip... keep a close eye on Suzanne because she will disappear in any crowd of un-suntanned Scandanavians!

If you want some 'got baja? stickers to take, give me a call!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
...keep a close eye on Suzanne because she will disappear in any crowd of un-suntanned Scandanavians!

Friday night in Hollywood, and Suzanne is still very Norwegian-looking. "Got Baja?" stickers in Estonia??? Hmmm. This is sounding pretty good...:light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 06:48 AM

Ken too bad you don't have some Pole Line Road items to give out. Like a cap or belt buckle etc. Oh but the stories to be told should awe them. Have fun and keep in touch while there, if you can.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 07:48 AM

... or some insulators off one of the poles!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
----talk about the Polar opposite of Baja---------wow, have a great trip, and not ALL of the Nor-Cal folks are eco-nuts, believe me. :lol:

Good to hear not everyone north of the San Francisco Bay wants to torch Jeeps or any other American-made 4WDs for that matter. :rolleyes:

My peey left-wing in-laws got an earful when I told them I was following my wife's packed Honda CR-V alone in my Jeep Rubicon. I told them, "I'm going to drive my Jeep and POLLUTE THE WORLD!" Hahhaa:P

I'm working on a Pole Line DVD at the moment. Composing the music is a real slow job. By the close of '06, I hope to have a comprehensive DVD put together for whomever, wherever. Too bad I had to pollute the world to go visit Baja...:barf:

The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
... or some insulators off one of the poles!
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 05:35 PM

Greetings All,

No more insulators left on the Pole Line.. Got the last one about 20 years ago.. Had to cut the dam pole down with a hack saw.. Drove the Pole Line then at night and alone.. Nice little driving adversity..

Best Regards, sq.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 06:31 PM

SQ.,

A group of guys I traveled with along the Pole Line Rd. combed the area while a full-sized Z71 Pickup was broken down and receiving repairs and actually found a glass isolator from 1942!! A king-cobra rattlesnake tried to strike at the group, and they ran from the isolator, screaming all of the way back to the truck.:oLOL:O Too much fun can be had on that Pole Line Road...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 07:17 AM

Ken sometime we need to get a small group to do the two summit loop with a side to the plane wreck. A good three day weekend trip.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 07:23 AM

Ken - this is the next thing to add to your Jeep so you can always know where you are -

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80695

:light::saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Ken - this is the next thing to add to your Jeep so you can always know where you are -

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80695

:light::saint:

Muchas Gracias, Lou! I will bookmark the page and make a shopping list! I already have my sound equipment waiting for installation, I just needed a way to secure everything. You can buy laptop computers used for cheap, and I also need to get a GPS unit so I don't get lost anymore down in Baja...

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 09:45 AM

The one thing I've been told by several si to mount the computer so the HD is verticle. It will withstand a lot more bumps than when horizontal - show us when you're done (or in progress)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.