Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fridge in a Toyota
bajataco
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 11-27-2003 at 08:48 PM
Fridge in a Toyota

Capt. Mike was asking about my fridge, so here goes:

I scored an incredible deal on a Norcold 60 litre fridge/freeze - it was a freight damaged unit. Fortunately, only cosmetic, a few dents in the outer case around the motor, but the motor and box are just fine. $270 :O Sorry, it was a one time deal, I haven't seen anything like it since. It looks like the going price on these is around $1000. These are the same units as the ARB and Engel so widespread in Australia.

Anyway, this unit is capable of freezing stuff, but it is not compartmented, like the "Fridge/Freeze" brand from the U.S. (those look SWEET!!). I absolutely love this fridge. It's very efficient. It pulls around 5 amps to bump the motor, and once the motor is running, it is at about 2.5 amps. It has a dial thermostat, so the motor only runs as necessary.

I hooked up an indoor/outdoor thermometer in my cab and routed the "outdoor" temp sensor to the fridge box. At a glance, I can see exactly what the inside temp is. Very handy. It also has a voltage reading so I can check the status of the aux. battery as well.

Believe it or not, I installed this monster fridge inside my Tacoma Xtracab (in the cab!) I had to modify the bench in the back (which now houses my rear speakers as well). The fridge is on sliding tracks, so it's position is adjustable. (I did this mostly so I could still use the OEM stow compartments inside the bench). The passenger seat can still fully recline.

:coolup:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-28-2003 at 06:38 AM
thx Taco, your rig is killer!

tell me more about the radio stack. Desert Bull's Fridge freeze sits where a console would, seperate compartments i think. very nice but like you said - way expensive! i think $1800 or so?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajataco
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 11-28-2003 at 08:30 AM
Thanks Mike ;)

I would be interested to see DB's fridge - when you say console, do you mean between the seats? I'm pretty sure he has the FridgeFreeze brand. Looks like the 60 litre job for those guys runs about $1500...

http://www.fridgefreeze.com/ordernow.html

On my radios, from top to bottom, I have a JVC MP3 stereo, RadioShack CB radio, and a Yaesu FT-2600M 2-meter VHF radio. The last little gadget is the thermo/clock/voltmeter device I was mentioning earlier. (Notice the temp says 37.2 degrees F :spingrin: )

Oh yea, I meant to mention, in that first pic, you can see the battery controller and battery energy gauge mounted on the side of the xcab wall across from the fridge. That stuff is for the dual-battery setup - I have 2 Optimas under the hood (one is a group 31 deep cycle).

A fridge/freeze in your plane would be sweet! Probably too heavy though, huh? Maybe if you got a small one that could be easily fastened down and taken out - you could run it on trips with only 2 people.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-28-2003 at 08:28 PM
thx, BTW - you and Denise are still featured

on my web site. Wild Bill took the shot before we left Oceanside muni after baja viva 2. I do want a fridge Freeze, a small one would be nice but for now ice chests have to serve. On the VHF radio, will it pick up race frequencies? You can check out part one of my baja 1000 fly-in coverage under the aviation catagory at www.baja.net
thx to DB, Blackie and crew I had a blast!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2003 at 03:25 PM

Mike, my radio will receive between 137-174 MHz, so I can listen ;)

I can't hear your aircraft stuff though - mine only goes down to 137 MHz.

As soon as I have some time to read, I will check out your post on the B1K. I'll bet you had a good time!

[Edited on 12-2-2003 by bajataco]

[Edited on 12-2-2003 by bajataco]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.