BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Triple Sec: what's the best?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 10:39 AM
Triple Sec: what's the best?

The inquiry about the best maggies on the gold coast got me wondering about finding a good brand of triple sec.

I am no fan of Controy and the cost of Cointreau and Gran Marnier, the substitues of choice, are pricey, to say the least. But I pay it.

Has anybody out there made a, uh, scientific libation-vestigation into who makes the best triple sec. The stuff is like 1/4 the price of the orange liquers above.

Some have claimed that Boles makes the best triple sec.

What do Nomads prefer??

[Edited on 7-11-2006 by Hook]
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 11:11 AM

Hook-

just add a splash of oj (or squeeze of orange) and you won't need triple sec...trust me.

Zac

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Hook-

just add a splash of oj (or squeeze of orange) and you won't need triple sec...trust me.

Zac

HMMMMM......makes sense. I like mine tart, anyways.

I guess this method means I could add more tequila, too. :bounce:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 12:23 PM

We actually use a cheap version but add fresh lime and lemon and Grand Mariner. Come try one of our Cadillac Margaritas. Mucho popular!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 02:00 PM

Here in BCS, we make our margies with Damiana. Adds a little more kick and a pleasant flavor...not too sweet.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Hook-

Zac

this is the real Mexican way and I like it:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 03:01 PM

have to disagree with the add OJ solo method, but as i like the extra octane of alcohol infused liqueurs we get house branded triple sec knock off/variants at any large chain grocery store like Albertsons or Safeway. tastes fine, costs little compared to the big name brands. but when in mexico i buy Controy as it's cheap and good.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 04:24 PM

tried quite a few and never tasted any as good Grand Marnier,it really seems to give that kick...our house recipe for margie's is Cazadores,grand marnier,pelligrino,lots of fresh squeezed lime,ice and a little frozen pineapple....mmmm,tasty:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 04:23 PM
Bajaboy

I tried your recommendation, without much satisfaction. But thanks for the suggestion.

In order to counteract the extreme tartness of the fresh lime juice, I had to add so much orange juice that it quickly masked the taste of the lime juice. I used some fresh squeezed OJ; maybe a sweeter OJ from concentrate would be better? But we really dont like OJ from concentrate.

Guess I'll give Boles a try......
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 06:13 PM

I prefer Controy myself. Made under French license if I am not mistaken, so it's the Mexican made version of Cointreau. A good brand stateside would be Hiram Walker, but get the 60 proof.

To make a smooth Margarita using lime juice, Tequila, and Triple Sec, you gotta make sure you fill your shaker with ice, pour your ingredients over it, and shake it long enough, take your time. That gives it more character. If you find you want it even smoother, get some plain "Jarabe" in Mexico. Up in the States, it's called "simple syrup" and most bartenders just mix their own. Add a jigger of Jarabe and see how that grabs ya.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 06:32 PM
Judy

Tell the folks the legend of Damiana and why the bottle is in the shape it is and see what they say.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Tell the folks the legend of Damiana and why the bottle is in the shape it is and see what they say.
Bernie, that's a single brand that does it that way after they weren't allowed to make any more claims on the label of it's effects upon human beings....

;)

http://www.loscabosguide.com/nightlife/mexicandrinks/damiana...

--
Doug

...added the words "the label"

[Edited on 7-15-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:02 PM

btw... haven't tried Bolles, but Hiram Walker was always a quality brand/ingredient for Triple Sec I used in the kamikazee shooters I made in college.

:biggrin:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 09:20 PM

I like it over crushed ice...it does taste herbal and healthy.

Doug, Very interesting link.

http://www.damiana.net

Wonder why they call it here Baha? Maybe they are sailors:?:

[Edited on 7-15-2006 by bajajudy]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 12:17 AM

Damiana is revered by some I've met in Baja for it's purported ability to induce fertility to those that partake the beverage before sex. I have no idea if any of that is true but it tastes mellow and semi-sweet. The color is a bright amber but pales with age.:no: The bottle is very interesting.:coolup:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 08:05 AM

What the experts have to say:PDR Health

The alcohol probably is more effective than the Damiana as an aphrodisiac :lol:

Back on topic, I go with one of several el cheapo brands at Beverages and More like Dekuyper. And occasionally Grand Marnier

I have also used Bacardi O, and it works well too
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 01:10 PM

Bernie
You got me on this one. Although I sorta remember the story, I would hesitate to repeat it. So enlighten us, por favor.:D Or is Doug correct? I thought that there was more to it.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-22-2006 at 12:43 PM
Judy

Doug is basically right--but for years Baja Sur harvested the plant and sent it to China and places thereabouts because of what they thought was a very effective aphrodesiac. The native Indians of Baja also used it for the same purposes.

I started researching Damiana when someone on a different post admitted to being addicted to the juice.

Found so much information on herbal treatment specific to Baja that I ended up devoting a chapter to my new book--THINK you know BAJA. Makes an interesting and fun read.

One of Uncle Erles friends wrote a small book on the subject and I quoted him in several places.

I have never tasted it! I learned long ago that drinking booze straight was the key to no headache the next morning--and it allowed me to know who I was and where I was when others were in a fog.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2006 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I tried your recommendation, without much satisfaction. But thanks for the suggestion.

In order to counteract the extreme tartness of the fresh lime juice, I had to add so much orange juice that it quickly masked the taste of the lime juice. I used some fresh squeezed OJ; maybe a sweeter OJ from concentrate would be better? But we really dont like OJ from concentrate.

Guess I'll give Boles a try......

Hook-

If you are using fresh limes instead of sweet and sour, then you will need to add something sweet. The traditional way would be to make simple syrup (sugar water) to add to the limes (sour). I usually pour 2 oz of tequila, a splash of sweet and sour, splash of oj, and squeeze 2-3 limes. I really don't care for all the added sugar of triple sec. Some people say they like the added alcohol but it's only 40 proof. If you want more alcohol, add more tequila.

Enjoy!

Zac

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 7-24-2006 at 06:36 AM
Controy gives hangovers

Hiram Walker and Bolles very cheap. Possibly cheaper than Controy especially when you factor in the headache from Controy.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.