Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: airing up tires
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 12:39 AM

We've had this model for a few years and Mr. oladulce says it was worth every penny.

Extreme Aire
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 10:20 AM

I'll put in a vote for the Campbell Hausfeld I bought many years ago after reading an endorsement for it on the old Amigos site. I paid about $50. at Home Despot.

Downsides:
The largest tires I have on any of our vehicles is 15" and it does great for them but I tried it on a friend's 16"ers and it seemed to take forever to fill. I believe it's only supposed to run 15 minutes before it needs to cool down.
Also, I don't know how long the rechargeable batt. is supposed to last but it's not replaceable and mine seems to have lost a bit of capacity through the years.

Upsides:
Cheap, even if it is disposable after the batt. goes south. The portability is great, no cords or long hoses, just move the whole unit next to each tire. Charges on AC or DC with cig. lighter plug. Charge while you drive. The motor isn't huge but much bigger compared to the cheapie $20. models to make a significant difference. And it has two cig lighter receptacles for running other small 12v loads, like charging a cell phone or making my spotlight portable.

It's definitely a good step-up from the $20. crappy units! :bounce:

just my dos centavos
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 10:56 AM

I bought 3 of these. For the price you can't beat it . Kragen and PEP Boys used to carry them from $25 to $50 but are getting hard to find

We compared the performance to a quik air and came to a fast conclusion that the QA is not worth the money

These have heavy clips to hook directly to your battery , weigh about 5 or so lbs. and come with a nice nylon stow bag

http://gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-FLOW-NEW-HIGH-VOLUME-PORTABLE-AIR-...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 12:44 PM

I use that awesome "Truck Air" comptressor a lot........... on my Lawnmower. ;D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 01:28 PM

One thing some of the explorers of the area around here did was mount a A/C compressor on their desert buggy running from a 2nd pully on the crank (same pully as used for the power steering in the VW powered race cars). Then mount a small tank somewhere convenient and carry the usual tire filling hose - also air tools. Just activate the elect. clutch and build up the air you need. I've seen these on half a dozen rails around here.

:light:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco
That is impressive. Do you mean all 4 tires in just a few minutes? And what kind of pressure differential?

Yes, all four tires in a few minutes - say 20psi differential in about 2 minutes per tire.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:43 AM

My hard mount Firestone compressor works very well.

It produced enough pressure that I was able to re-seat a bead on a large 265/75/R18 tire last summer...try that with a chepo-plug in compressor from Pep-boys :rolleyes: However, for insurance, I still carry a backup chepo-plug in in case the firestone fails....;D

I attached a block of aluminum to the top to assist with the cooling, and have since added a quick disconnect for the airline attached to the air tank.

[Edited on 7-14-2006 by Taco de Baja]
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco
That is impressive. Do you mean all 4 tires in just a few minutes? And what kind of pressure differential?

Yes, all four tires in a few minutes - say 20psi differential in about 2 minutes per tire.

For 37" tires, that is great. So what kind of weight/dimensions does it have?

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 06:46 PM

It's about 36" * 10" * 10" mas o menos - weighs about 20lbs I guess. Not tiny. Check out this one: http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?TYPE=PRODUCT&CATEGOR... . Available on eBay for about $85.

[Edited on 7-15-2006 by Roberto]
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 05:03 PM

All Great ideas and uses...but what about the very simple bottle of CO2 or Nitrogen with a high-flow valve. I have 5 or 6 of these that I pass out when we race and they run air powered impact guns, air rachet guns etc..and fill tires fast than any of the rest. They don't require any 12V or 110 and they can be stored almost anywhere. You don't need to get the fancy PowerTank--- make your own for 1/3 of the package pricing they sell them at...you can fill them up along the Peninsula and they can be used for about 101 different things...i.e. such as blowing the old crusty boogers off of the old guys like Neal, letting your Angel blow dry her hair on the beach...ah-right---LOL, but seriously you can use them to clean out carbuerators, air mattresses, change tires, air tires, blow off the ice from the top of your Pacifico....

I just returned from 6,000 mile road trip and just back here at The Nomad Nation to see what the heck is up with you slackers...:lol:

Air Up Amigos!

DB:cool:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 12:08 AM

For cheap compressed air, find a friend who works at a restaraunt, they always have an old CO2 regulator with a bad gauge floating around. Hook the regulator to a 25lb tank and screw the pressure gauge all the way down. You can then pick up a coiled hose with disconnects and all the fittings in kit form at Sears for about $20.00. A little teflon tape and 5 minutes and your in business. I keep one in my garage, runs the kegarator most of the time, but on vacation I use it for filling tires, very fast and very cheap.
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 7-23-2006 at 07:11 AM

You can get a bottle and regulator at a welding store for about $160. Way less than the ones they sell at offroad stores. If you are looking for speed this goes quick. Also can run airtools.
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
...they can be used for about 101 different things...i.e. such as blowing the old crusty boogers off of the old guys like Neal, letting your Angel blow dry her hair on the beach...ah-right---LOL, but seriously you can use them to clean out carbuerators, air mattresses, change tires, air tires, blow off the ice from the top of your Pacifico....

I just returned from 6,000 mile road trip and just back here at The Nomad Nation to see what the heck is up with you slackers...:lol:

Air Up Amigos!

DB:cool:

LMAO... hairstyling... now that's one I hadn't thought of! :lol:

6,000 miles?? NICE - where'd u go?

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:57 AM

Eastern Michigan above Lake Michigan and all throughout Wisconsin...too bad its so far from Baja...otherwise I'd be pedaling cheese curds...LOL

Tim

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 09:53 AM

Whoa! That IS far from baja! Must've been a family-related journey ;D I hope you had a good trip.

Cheese curd rocks! :yes:

LOL

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 09:32 AM

Nah---CORR Racing/(Championship Off Road Racing) short course stuff 1.5-3.0 mile tracks at 100 mph...it's like NASCAR in the dirt, but trucks side-by-side raging.

You can check it all out at DirtNewz.com - Providing live event coverage from off road racing events throughout the US, Canada and Mexico.:tumble:

[Edited on 8-6-2006 by Desertbull]

[Edited on 8-6-2006 by Desertbull]

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 02:40 PM

DB, those are not old crusty boogers, they are Burro Biscuits. I get them because I am a Baja Aridologist and prefer a good roll in a burro wallow to letting water touch my pristine young body. Got that? :lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.