Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Expedition Video
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 10:45 PM
Baja Expedition Video

Link: http://my4x4tv.com/?page_id=23

My friend Chris Glass found this item while surfing the web. The file is a whopping 196MB, so you had better have DSL or Cable Internet. I'm downloading the video as we speak, and I can't wait to see what these guys did and where they went!

Baja Expedition 2006

toyoda

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 09:32 AM

So how did you like the baja episode?? That was part 1 of 2.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

[Edited on 7-16-2006 by toyoda]

If you don\'t know what the \";D\" in Toyoda is. You don\'t know Toyotas!

http://my4x4tv.com
http://nowhitefenders.com
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 03:52 AM

I enjoyed it 100%. I could not believe on that seemingly deceptive trail leading to the Observatory that a Toyota could so easily flip, but it did! Keep up the good work!!! :bounce:

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 08:56 AM

Great video!! Those 4X4's take a beating. I wonder if that Toyota has a bad fuel delivery system or operator error by having to little fuel in the tank?It sure looks like great fun, but really hard on body's and I don't mean the roll-over. This sport maybe suited for good condition old Jeeps like mine. Well that is why I am hanging on to mine. My worry is the suspension looked real heavy duty. Mine is just run of the mill.
anyone know how much work it would take to make it adequate for Baja with only Occasional expeditions??

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
My worry is the suspension looked real heavy duty. Mine is just run of the mill.
anyone know how much work it would take to make it adequate for Baja with only Occasional expeditions??

The Jeep (CJ/YJ/TJ) comes built for the rigors of Baja from the factory. With a good set of tires, a spare, tools, and no engine/cooling/transmission issues, your Jeep will get you all over that peninsula and back.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 10:32 AM
Sorry Ken

Mine is not one of those. It is a Laredo and automatic, but thought it was close to TJ??

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Mine is not one of those. It is a Laredo and automatic, but thought it was close to TJ??

2 Wheel Drive? 4 Wheel Drive? Gear ratio? Engine size? Live Front Axle? Cherokee? Grand Cherokee? I.F.S. (Inferior Front Suspension)?

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 05:23 PM
Dose anyone share my opinion that these guys are a real bunch of armatures

my guess is that is the first time most of them have been off rode in Baja.:o I watched the video several times and laughed and till I hurt the last couple times.:lol: I would love to see the missing video clip where they got that toy 4 runner on its top. I cant for the world see how I could duplicate that situation without doing something really stupid:lol:

I am really looking forward to some more opinions on this.:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 05:36 PM

I just watched the video.

It was tragic.

Did they ever figure out the actual cost of the beer that was damaged?

:biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 06:28 PM
Sorry again,

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

2 Wheel Drive? 4 Wheel Drive? Gear ratio? Engine size? Live Front Axle? Cherokee? Grand Cherokee? I.F.S. (Inferior Front Suspension)?

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
4.0 6 cyl. F.I. T.B.
4 speed auto with power switch
4 WD with street tires
Gear ratio Unknown, but in 4 low it crawls
Live Front Axle? sprung straight axle with rear trailing arms, and trailing steering.
I.F.S. (Inferior Front Suspension)? not sure, but diffidently as beefy as a big truck. Tie rods and ends maybe weak.
I could fix that with Heim joints like my stock car. I have even reinforced drag links.

Albert G

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 06:31 PM

I would bet that Toyota would pay them to not air that video:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

I think so too.
All said, to see Baja, off road............I love it:bounce::bounce:
We need some great Nomad video. The scene with the 4X4 bouncing and the camera still, must be great equipment.

Albert G

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 08:38 PM
It is an interesting video

First thing that struck me - why buy gasoline on the U.S. side at Tecate???

Next - As they were traveling through the "Alamo"? area the narrator said they were on roads the ranchers had closed. - If you do that I doubt you should broadcast the fact.

Third - Road to Mikes was recently graded "so we could fly" or some such comment - have they ever heard of open range?

Then the loss of the beer - hmmmm - maybe it did have some effect on judgement.

The spot where the Toy rolled didn't look that threatening. 'course the video can be deceptive. Recall, just before going over he was nearly up and over the tough spot, with several vehicles ahead of him. And - he had a winch - why wouldn't they have just strapped him ahead a few yards rather than let him roll back with, as they said, "no power steering and no power brakes" - Judgement again perhaps?

Easy for me to judge, not being there. I do wonder about their Baja experiences. It seemed to me they may have been only very occasional visitors to the back country of Baja - who knows.

Was this video part of a television show? I did enjoy it in spite of my criticisms. My wife even watched most of it but some of her descriptive comments aren't fit for this forum.

John M
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M

- he had a winch - why wouldn't they have just strapped him ahead a few yards rather than let him roll back with, as they said,

John M

John I just have a hunch that is king of what they did and I think they hooked to that tree on the right side of the rode and polled the thing over. if you look real close at the video right before and after the cut you can see the evidence.:lol: this is one video where the out takes would be priceless:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
4.0 6 cyl. F.I. T.B.
4 speed auto with power switch
4 WD with street tires
Gear ratio Unknown, but in 4 low it crawls
Live Front Axle? sprung straight axle with rear trailing arms, and trailing steering.
I.F.S. (Inferior Front Suspension)? not sure, but diffidently as beefy as a big truck. Tie rods and ends maybe weak.
I could fix that with Heim joints like my stock car. I have even reinforced drag links.

Link: http://www.thedesertoutlaw.20megsfree.com/photo4.html

View the description of Brad's XJ. It is an impressive vehicle with plenty of $$ deposited in it. With a 3" lift kit, 31" mud-terrain tires, and a few extras, your Cherokee will tame most trails in Baja, *And* your center of gravity will still be low enough that you will not suffer the fate of the rolled Toyota on this thread...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2006 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M

The spot where the Toy rolled didn't look that threatening. 'course the video can be deceptive. Recall, just before going over he was nearly up and over the tough spot, with several vehicles ahead of him. And - he had a winch - why wouldn't they have just strapped him ahead a few yards rather than let him roll back with, as they said, "no power steering and no power brakes" - Judgement again perhaps?

Easy for me to judge, not being there. I do wonder about their Baja experiences. It seemed to me they may have been only very occasional visitors to the back country of Baja - who knows.
John M

Had there been a more proactive Trail Boss on this trip, the line would have kept moving, so Nick and DJs Toyota would have had a more flat location to stop. It appeared that the guys were not too worried, causing this flop to creep up on them. This was a costly mistake indeed.

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 09:54 AM

they left out the best part:o dont really need to see footage of a couple of guys goin 5 mph on back roads of baja...but would have love to seen how the guy got his truck upside down:lol:

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 11:09 AM

AL G i have a pritty much stock cherokee equipped like yours ,and as long as a little common sense and good judgement is used a sock jeep works fine some agressive tires like bfg at help just put your money in eng ant transmission armor and unless you want to do something ungodly difficult you are good to go, i have gone a lot of places down there with a old international flathead 6
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

With a solid front axel and large tires, that is NOT a stock Toyota. So it is more driver error not compensating for his high center of gravity. A stock Toyota probably would not have rolled.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2006 at 01:41 PM

I have seen rollovers twice like that. Truck is "lose" ei. one tire off the ground and balanced when someone gave it a push to see if it will go, and it does. Beer was involved most of the time. Unless you were like Eddie in the picture and would roll just try to right yourself.

[Edited on 7-30-2006 by Geronimo]

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.