BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: why don't you stop to help someone having car trouble?
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 05:01 PM

I will stop if someone is waving, or I can see that they truly are in need and I can do it safely on Mex 1. Ill give out water to the highway workers etc etc. On dirt roads, I stop no matter what..

You know when your driving Mex 1, you end up "traveling" with vehicles even though you dont know them. You kinda buddy up and watch out for each other. Well my new found travel buddy{ 2 older mexican guys} saw me pull over and slowed to see if we were ok. I waved them on, I just had to stretch my legs, we were past GN heading south. Nice guys.

Well I start to get back on the road and I see my buddies are now pulled over also. They were working on the truck, so I had to help them also. Instead of getting back on the Mex 1, I just went down the dirt road next to it.

I pull up, they were just putting in some gas from there back fuel tank. They wave and smile, until the full on dust storm I caused caught up to us. They just laughed and waved us on. The drive is so much a part of the trip.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 07:31 PM

I stop.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 09:51 PM

I'm with Packoderm. I stop. Never a problem.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 05:37 AM

yep mexico is pretty safe, i mean caution is good but anyone can nead a hand sometimes...i know we have in the past...but i wouldl ike to thank all of those who stop because when you are on a dirt road it is really hard sometimes because almost no one goes past....other times you get luckey!!!;D

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 06:30 AM
Helping hand

When I traveled more, before I retired down here, it was always in older vehicles usually loaded with old beat up camping gear, beer and ice. I stopped for everyone. I fully understand why the highway travelers with motor homes, big trailers don't want to put at risk all that kind of travel engenders including all the folks with them. It's a Bob Dylan thing "when you got nothin, you got nothin to lose".
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 07:07 AM

On highways if they indicate they need help, on back roads always.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 07:53 AM
Nomads are the best

once again I think Nomads are the best at helping there fellow travelers.

it seems like most Nomads will help if the need is indicated. so it is vary important for you to have some way to signal to cars passing buy that you require assistance. you can't be shy if you are broken.:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 08:14 AM

I always stop too.
Only once, in all the years, have we ever been on the side of the road and no one stopped. We were south of Nopolo in the camper. The green angel had taken my husband into Loreto to get a tow truck and I sat in the camper with the hood up for almost two hours. A lady, who looked older than I, stopped and wanted to know if I was OK. And that was it...weird. I figured I would spend all my time telling people that mi esposo fue a Loreto para una grua...pero NO...nadie.
One day we were on the side of the road just past Caligas on the way to San Jose and a car did a u-turn to come back to check on us. It was decided that since my Spanish was better than my husband's, I would go with them to get a grua. We were not 100 meters down the road, before the driver reached under his seat and brought out a bottle of tequila. He took a swig and handed the bottle to me. I declined and white knuckled it all the way to Gustavo Grua. They would not take any money although they had changed directions and taken me back into town. When I suggested that perhaps they could buy some beer with the money, they agreed that was probably a good idea and took the offered money.
This helping is the Baja spirit and part of what we all love about the place but if we dont reciprocate, how can we expect it to continue? :(

[Edited on 7-13-2006 by bajajudy]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 11:24 AM
Who says I dont stop????

I just dont stop for dead bodies in washes. :lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 12:18 PM

I'm glad to hear that no one (at least here) has been mugged or robbed (or whatever) while helping others with misfortune along Bajas' roads. Yes, I've saved a few from hours of digging and stop at those that look in need. When alone on backroads in desolate areas I tend to be more cautious tho and scope out the scene first.. I have had things stolen at night but THAT is not what this subject is about.

Osprey is right about the good car/old car thing.

Frank, can you keep up with all of us?:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 02:12 PM

Sure if you dont mind the dust cloud:bounce:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 02:19 PM

I always stop. This has led to some very wonderful encounters, additional friends, and the extended families of all concerned. Three years ago I rolled my Toyota truck outside of La Paz. When I crawled out unhurt the following car's Mexican family all ran up and gave me a hug. With the truck on its side, 6 different gringo vehicles drove by, my CA license pointed right at them. Not a one stopped. EVERY Mexican stopped, helped me flip the truck over, helped me pick up the contents of the camper scattered all over the highway, and noone would accept any money or gift in return. I was very happy to be OK and helped by strangers. A semitruck stopped (fully loaded), took chains and pulled me off the highway. Rides were offered, places to stay, etc. Not a pleasant experience, but in the end, very rewarding. I owe lots of payback to these wonderful people. I wish a Mexican in the USA would get the same treatment as I.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 02:58 PM

I only stop if I have room to get off the road. And in my rig, that is not very often.

I'll pull up alongside and ask if I can send someone back from the next village or if there is a medical emergency, but that's about all I can do unless I can get off the road.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
I wish a Mexican in the USA would get the same treatment as I.

isn't that the truest thing I have read all day:light:

thanks Jack Swords for putting that so well:spingrin:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 03:47 PM
We stop

Returning from a trip south and almost to the border crossing in TJ we got t-boned by a Mexican fellow who happened to live in San Ysidro. We had been towing our Baja Bug. Tow bar broke in the accident. His car was not driveable. Loo-oong story short he drove our VW while we drove our car back to his house in the U.S. My wife drove me to the local hospital and upon returning to his house his family had bathed and fed our young children, he offered all five of us a place to spend the remainder of the night.

Next day we had to get to LA to a neurosurgeon so he kept our VW (ended up with it for almost two weeks) until we could arrange to get it back home. A perfect stranger to us and a wonderful example of a good samaritan.

Yea we stop - never could we hope to repay the kindness shown to us.

John M
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Returning from a trip south and almost to the border crossing in TJ we got t-boned by a Mexican fellow who happened to live in San Ysidro. We had been towing our Baja Bug. Tow bar broke in the accident. His car was not driveable. Loo-oong story short he drove our VW while we drove our car back to his house in the U.S. My wife drove me to the local hospital and upon returning to his house his family had bathed and fed our young children, he offered all five of us a place to spend the remainder of the night.

Next day we had to get to LA to a neurosurgeon so he kept our VW (ended up with it for almost two weeks) until we could arrange to get it back home. A perfect stranger to us and a wonderful example of a good samaritan.

Yea we stop - never could we hope to repay the kindness shown to us.

John M

nice story John. it is a good thing he was Mexican. Just think what it could have been like if he had been French:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 05:30 PM

A great Mexican pangero friend of mine (now deseased) had his outboard sieze at Isla Consag and he paddled it with a 2X4 back to San Felipe!
He wished that anyone would stop to render assistance.

Yes, we always stop...even if only to make sure that everything is OK.

Therianthropic
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Supino
A great Mexican pangero friend of mine (now deseased) had his outboard sieze at Isla Consag and he paddled it with a 2X4 back to San Felipe!
He wished that anyone would stop to render assistance.

Yes, we always stop...even if only to make sure that everything is OK.

How far of a paddle is that Mike?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.