BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bay of LA, a couple questions?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 02:20 PM
Bay of LA, a couple questions?

Planning a drive to BOLA, I've driven the
length of the peninsula but have not spent any
time at the Bay, I understand Camp Gecko
is closed, what are the other choices for
camping? I'm tent camping with kayak,
would perfer a structured setting with
showers, is there ice and gasoline
available? or is Catavina or El Rosario
the last place for gas? Is late Aug.
still too hot? What time should I cross
at Tijuana to make the 400 mi
drive in a day? I understand the
tourist card situation, do people
normally get a card for LABay,
or just get one if going south of
Guerro Negro?
thanks for your time
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 02:40 PM

Can't answer any questions on BOLA, but can on your FMT.

According to the regs, if you're going past Maneadero (just south of Ensenada) OR going to be in-country for longer than 72 hours, you need a FMT.

Just don't try to get it (or get one stamped) in Ensenada unless you want to pay a fine and listen to a tirade by the local official. I recommend you cross at Tecate. You can park on the U.S. side and walk across to get the FMT, walk back and then drive across.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 02:49 PM

i've been to Gonzaga Bay on numerous trips without getting any tourist card and never had any problem...twice to Mulege and I had one both times and only once did I have to show it;D

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 03:38 PM

I've also driven my car over 90 mph without getting busted, but that doesn't make it right .

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 03:49 PM
whoa!

it must be quite a sight to see an RV pulling a car goin over 90 mph...talk about living dangerously:P:lol:

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 03:54 PM

That was in my car, I've only had the RV up to 85. :lol::lol:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 03:58 PM

Gas....there is a PEMEX station in BOLA....

LATE AUG....yes... it will be HOT....

tourist card....I wouldn't get one (and NEVER have just to go there)...but you may feel more comfortable having one if you want....under normal conditions nobody will ever check....

driving time.... depends on your speed , number of stops, road construction, if you like to pass big rigs....hard to say....the road opens up traffic wise after EL ROSARIO with few vehicles for the most part....best guess is 12 hours after you cross border to arrive.....
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 04:03 PM

You can pick up your tourist card at any ATM. It's green with a picture of Andrew Jackson on it.:lol::lol::lol:
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 05:46 PM
Doug WTF Every time I loge on I get this

Please take me back to to the old nomads
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 05:48 PM
This Ain't Fun

:(:(:(:(:cool:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 05:49 PM

A very informative and up to date website on Bahia de Los Angeles.

www.mias-desert-art.com

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 05:49 PM

You get what, Sonora???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 10:09 PM

Yes, 8 hours from the border to L.A. Bay if you are a normal size rig not towing... 50 mph average (400 miles) is typical Baja driving speed, incl. stops.

North of town, along the La Gringa road are many campgrounds that could serve your needs with the loss of Camp Gecko to the south.

Gasoline and diesel at the new Pemex (closed during siesta hours).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 12:08 AM

with whats going on now in the USA WITH IMMAGRATION Iwouldnt take any chances without a FMT your like a wet back no rights at all
and with the mexican law your guilty tell proven inocent

jerry and judi
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:27 AM

I'm with Jerry. With all the sh*t going on up north I wouldn't chance it. May ask for more trouble than it's worth.
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 08:00 AM
Bahia...

If you are planning to come down in late August, be ready for the heat. Sleeping in a tent in these temps is out of the question, unless it comes equipped with a 12v that circulates air on you all night! And if you sleep outside, then be prepared for mosquito bombardment. A mosquito net would be a good thing to take along for outside sleeping. Even then, I would equip myself with a fan as sometimes there is dead calm at night. I cannot sleep without a fan at night in the summer. No way, Jose.

Not saying that beach camping can't be enjoyable in the summer, but if you bring certain items along, you'll be more comfortable. If you are going to camp along the beaches somewhere, outside of a campground, you gotta have shade too, and lots of it. You'll also need plenty of drink water and whatever containers they are in, you'll want to put them in a safe location where the cuervos can't pick holes in them. That's no joke. Has happened to us with the big heavy duty 6 gallon blue jugs, camping out by La Gringa.

Bring something to sleep up off the ground with, and the higher the better. It's the hot time of year, and certain critters are more active and you want to put some space between you and them. Be SUPER careful at night and always use a flashlight when walking around at night. Not to scare you or anything, but summer is the active time of year for rattlesnakes, and along the beaches in the dunes, you'll sometimes come across them. Biggest rattler I have ever seen was in summer, just as the sun was setting, just before you get to the lighthouse. Scorpions like the bushes on the dunes too.

In addition to Daggett's & Archelon, there are some other rustic camping areas along the beach towards La Gringa. If you want to get an idea of what they look like, here is a link:

Rustic Beach Camps in Bahia...

You'll find plenty of stores with ice in Bahia; the Pemex station has ice, the Mercado Lizeth has ice, the Tecate deposito has ice, La Isla has Ice, Mercado Xitlali has...there is usually no shortage.

The Pemex station has been staying open all day lately, and I would fill up right when you get in.

As for the driving, I would never drive at night. I know there are two schools of thought on this, but I personally would never do it again. Did it a couple of times and came close to meeting my maker on both occasions. Never, ever again. If coming down during the hottest part of the year, you also might consider driving to say, Vicente Guerrero or San Quintin. Spend the night there, and depart the next day early, like 4 or 5 in the morning. That puts you in Bahia by 9 or 10 a.m, and gets you across the desert before the big heat sets in, and you are driving "into the day" so to speak, and is much safer.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 08:45 AM

Bahiamia is right on. For tent camping, I have used a screen tent which is just perfect for HOT nights. If you get a larger one with a "roof" you'll have shade too. Get LOTS of ice - it will melt quickly, and the drive into town for more is a waste of time if you're camping north. And the rattlesnakes like to curl up in the rocks in the shoreline, so be careful when you walk around.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 09:30 AM

rattlesnakes,scorpions,extreme heat,sounds like fun....when do we leave:biggrin:

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 09:40 AM
In 19 more days.....

Can't wait, it's my favorite time of year!!!

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 10:43 AM
Daggetts

My son and I stayed at Daggetts about 3 weeks ago. It's on the paved road about a mile from town. I would recommend that you pick a camp that's on a paved road as you will be making frequent trips to town to get cold refreshments.

Daggett's provides these 3 sided enclosures near the beach. The construction is such that air passes through the walls but not wind. If you can pitch your tent under it's roof it will make your stay much more comfortable. The shade that it provides will make it bearable to enter your tent during daylight hours.

There is a powerful wind that blows in from the west at night. You will need to add extra ropes on that side of the tent to keep from being blown away. The palapas have walls facing the west and will protect you and your tent from these winds. I am told they can come up any time of the year, including the summer.

If you follow the dirt road to La Gringa you will see some truly beautiful spots to camp but there are no amenities there, no water, no bathrooms.

The picture will give you an idea of what it's like. The beach is at your doorstep. That's my boat in the background. Perhaps you will stay at Donna's Casa :). I thought it was one of the better sites. You're about a mile from the closest isla.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.