Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: generators?
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 11:04 PM
generators?

gonna need a generator as i'll be starting work on my place later this year...a friend of mine has a 5000w diesel generator thats almost brand new but he wants a bit more than i care to pay but i'm seeing alot of them out there with less wattage that are quite a bit cheaper...wondering how much power i'm gonna need to run some power tools and maybe a few other small aplliances???

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2006 at 11:54 PM

the diesal will save you some in cost of fuel over gas and you will save on upkeep with it i dont know your needs but its better to have too much then not enoff
any moter running on low voltagewill be short lived when its all over bring it to a ranch you will have a friend for life

jerry and judi
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 02:31 AM

I have a Honda 3000 excellent

runs my little casita when the power is down. refrig, lights, appliances.

gp

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 05:13 AM
GENERATORS

After wearing out three air cooled gas generators. I purchased and installed a Yamaha 6500 watt water cooled diesel genset. It should outlast me and the fuel cost is only about $ 1.80/ gallon in San Felipe. It is hard wired into a Xantrex SW 4000. When the generator is started, all AC loads are switched to the genny and the remaining power charges the batteries. Fuel consumption is about .5 gallon/hr @ 50% load.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 05:15 AM

Skeet has a good deal on one, go to the Dusky thread.
priced right.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 05:26 AM

don't buy a chineese diesel period.
junk...i know $$$...doesn't matter how nice it looks

watch how many amps the thing puts out
some generators are 5000w but only have a 20 amp plug when you would need 30 amps

i would look for the quietest unit you can find also...they're so loud

also units that run at 3600 rpm burn up alot faster than bigger units that run at 1800 rpm

for ocassional use a 3500w unit is fine for just about everything except an airconditioner and a washer.
for those you need at least 5000w

remember diesel units are twice as heavy too...if you need to move the beast look at the weight and wheels

really the best generator i have for the money was $300 at pepboys
coleman 3750 does 3000w continues and is sorta quiet and light...

good luck

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 06:54 AM

don't buy anything Oriental .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:22 AM

impossible....

our website is:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
don't buy anything Oriental .

Including Toyotas Bruce???:O:no::?:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:43 AM

Including everything . it is tough but if you look real hard you can still find a lot of things that are made in the USA and Mexico and buy supporting those companies you keep them in business. I think it is the worst thing that our government has done in the past 100 years is to sell our industry to foreign companies. Mark my words we will regret it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:48 AM

A 5000 watt diesel should put out at least 30 amps.
Plenty for any hand or light shop tools.
Depending on what other appliances you are running, you might need to unplug a few to provide sufficient power to any 20 amp power tools.

Diesels ARE very heavy. If you'll want to move it a lot or load it in and out of a truck, make sure to have help !!

My Coleman Honda 3500 puts out 25 amps.
It can run a few battery chargers or a small compressor, and a chop saw or worm drive, but that's it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 07:55 AM

I understand Bruce your passion...

Just a thought: My Toyota salesman is an American, my dealership is owned by an American, my mechanics are American, half the truck is built by Americans in America.

If an American company made something as good (per owner feedback) I have no problem buying American again... even though I was burned twice (Jeep and Plymouth).

How much of 'American' cars are made totally here, anyway? Jeep (the most well known American vehicle) Wranglers are made in Canada last I heard...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 08:58 AM

the big deference between Gas and Diesels are a Diesel plant is built for 12,000 hours of service and a air cooled gas unit Les than 1,000 hours

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 09:28 AM

BajaRob? Do you know anyone in San Felipe that works on Propane Generators? We have one that is running but not genning!! To big to take to shop so looking for someone to come look at it here at the house. Jamie at MC shop has worked on lotsa generators, he looked at this one but does not know what's wrong as I think he is not real familiar with the propane generators, but does good with the gasoline ones.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 10:46 AM
Meme...

...There's not much difference between Propane and Gasoline generators. The actual engine is, in most cases, identical. A Propane Gen uses a different carburetor, along with a regulator - all the rest of the parts are the same.

The 'generator' part, if not 'genning' electricity, can usually be attended to by an electrician familiar with electric motors and such. If you have lots of hours on your genny, you'll probably need bearing, brushes, maybe diodes, and usually have to have the armature machined - unless you have a 'brush less' type of genny.

There's enough of those genny's running down there, you should be ale to find some help nearby...or maybe back up in Mexicali. Good hunting.

[Edited on 7-14-2006 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
A 5000 watt diesel should put out at least 30 amps.
Plenty for any hand or light shop tools.
Depending on what other appliances you are running, you might need to unplug a few to provide sufficient power to any 20 amp power tools.

Diesels ARE very heavy. If you'll want to move it a lot or load it in and out of a truck, make sure to have help !!

My Coleman Honda 3500 puts out 25 amps.
It can run a few battery chargers or a small compressor, and a chop saw or worm drive, but that's it.

A 5000 watt diesel (or gas, or propane) will put out (5,000 / 120) = 41.66 amps at 120 volts. Amps = watts / volts.

Similarly, your 3500 watt generator will put out 29.1666 amps.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 12:15 PM

Thanks Mexray. The generator is not new but was never used much like only a few hours when we got it not long ago. It was doing fine but would not "Gen" after Jim changed the oil? Jamie checked brushes etc. that you mentioned but cannot find anything that needs fixing??So we have now been looking for a person here that maybe can fix it?
There is an old German guy in town that does electrical work, maybe he would know? Not at all sure if we could get him out here or not tho and this thing is WAYYYY too hard to take to him! Thanks for your reply. I will mention all this to Jim & see what his thoughts might be now?
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 12:41 PM

Meme, Mexray is correct The main difference is that propane fuel does not degrade the engine's lubrication as gasoline does and should last longer. I know of someone in the South Campos but El Dorado is a long ways away. I presume that you have checked for corroded terminations, loose wires, and open circuit breakers. Good luck, Rob
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 12:49 PM

roberto

some 5000 watt generators have a control panel that only allows you to get 20 amps before the breaker blows

you would need to rewire to get 30 amps

our website is:
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 7-14-2006 at 02:12 PM

Meme, have you checked with the guy at Puerto RV on the left side as you come into town before the arches? I always see his van running around El D. so I know he makes house calls and would imagine if he couldn't fix it he could refer you to someone who could.

Man, I wish I was down there now just to come up to your place, take a look at your genny, drink a cerveza with you and Jim, then scratch my head and say, "yup, looks like you'll need an electrician." :yes:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.