Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: driving to loreto
armendds

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 11:33 AM
driving to loreto

I decided to take highway 1 to loreto. I plan to go thursday night. Besides the issue of hitting animals, are there any other contraindications and considerations for driving at night. Thanks.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 11:34 AM

you can see the other vehicles coming around the bends better at night, mostly!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 11:45 AM

but they might not see you...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 12:16 PM

And everyone living here will advise you against it. Night driving is very dangerous. Not only because of animals , but also drunken Mexicans in cars with one or no lights all over the road.:P:P:P;););)
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 12:47 PM

You're right. The last fatality here in Cantu occurred a month or so ago at night and involved a drunk driver. Oh, but wait a minute---he was American.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by armendds
I decided to take highway 1 to loreto. I plan to go thursday night. Besides the issue of hitting animals, are there any other contraindications and considerations for driving at night. Thanks.

If you do this please follow behind another semi for protection. Not too closely. And, best of all, good luck!
Bob H
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2006 at 04:59 PM

In the daytime you can see not only the road, but more importantly, BAJA!
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 10:53 AM

I have been driving the road since it first opened and I do not recommend driving at night for many reasons. While it is in better condition now than it has ever been, it is still not a good idea to drive at night. Soft shoulders, no shoulders, blinding lights from on comming cars or worse, no taillights and just a few reasons to wait until daylight. Experience tells me that some will drive at night anyway.....I sometimes see their bodies lying by the road waiting for the meat wagon to come and get them. Have a nice trip.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 12:15 PM

Don't forget the animals that like to sleep on the road, the unmarked topes, and the truckers that use rocks in place of flares (and don't take them off the road when they get their vehicle fixed and leave).

Driving at night in Baja is just an all around bad idea. I'm looking forward to your trip report (if you survive).

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 12:53 PM

This is all BS. And, one of the most repeated BS items. I drive at night regularly - sometimes towing SIGNIFICANT loads (toy Toyota trucks need not apply! :lol::lol::lol::lol: ).

The reasons I do this are:

1. Less traffic.
2. Better visibility of oncoming traffic.

Yes, there are the Polyphemus-like vehicles on the road. Sometimes, no lights at all. But, if you don't have lights that will show this - stay home! I equip myself for the situation with four halogen lights that illuminate the highway (and surrounding landscape) for a good distance. Also, at night, MOST amateurs are off the road, and you are dealing with professional truck drivers. I am much more afraid of the white-eyed RV caravans than the mexican folk that drive the road daily.

Folks, Baja, on Highway 1, is NOT an unpopulated wilderness with nadidos and unimaginable dangers lurking at every cornder- regardless of what the post(s) about the newbie who wants to buy an RV and explore want to imply. There's plenty of road that's pretty average, except for the lack of shoulders.

Just for the record, I have not encountered any bandidos I couldn't talk to, truck drivers that wouldn't stop to let me by (or try to help in case of trouble), or livestock I couldn't see in plenty of time - does that mean go slow around blind corners? (DUH!). It's not the unkown land of aliens - but a land of people you are heading into.

So, equip yourself with what you need (or think you need), inform yourself - and go, have an adventure in BAJA!

[Edited on 7-16-2006 by Roberto]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:01 PM

Roberto

I hope I don't jinks myself but I'm with you, just got back from states 25hrs incl. sleep. San Diego to La Paz.

The only problem I had on the trip- down was a gringo pulling a boat large I think blue in color, pulling out to pass a slower vehicle and there I was, he hit his brakes to pull back in and the boat got crazy but he got it under control with me almost at a stop, hope it wasn't a Nomad!! Broad daylight. Even tho I do this I wouldn't advise it for everyone.

[Edited on 7-16-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:12 PM

Roberto,
Dumb advise. Several of my friends, who didn't heed the " no driving at night " advise, ended up with altercations with cattle, other traffic and junk on the road. Not much fun to be stuck at such occasion in the middle of the night. And what traffic are you refering to ? Once below San Quentin traffic is almost non excistent. So, armennds, heed the Nomads advise and don't drive after dark.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Roberto

I hope I don't jinks myself but I'm with you, just got back from states 25hrs incl. sleep. San Diego to La Paz.

Comitan,
What you do, sleep during the day ???
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Roberto,
Dumb advise. Several of my friends, who didn't heed the " no driving at night " advise, ended up with altercations with cattle, other traffic and junk on the road. Not much fun to be stuck at such occasion in the middle of the night. And what traffic are you refering to ? Once below San Quentin traffic is almost non excistent. So, armennds, heed the Nomads advise and don't drive after dark.

Dumb advice, huh? Sir, I've been doing this for years, and along with myself so have many people I know who have been travelling the peninsula for years - without incident because we PAY ATTENTION to what we are doing. I do this with my family on board, and I make sure my family is safe when I travel. So, before getting on your high horse, why don't you consider some humility and the possibility of being wrong and just saying "sorry, I disagree"? While you're at it, consider the possibility that you and your friends are incompetent boobs who shouldn't be allowed off I5, and REALLY shouldn't be driving at night in Baja? :moon:

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:16 PM

WOW, 4 halogens that light up the road and surrounding landscape. I'm sure glad I'm not one of the people coming towards you!!!.:lol::lol:

So I'll modify my statement. Don't drive at night UNLESS you have 4 halogens to light up the landscape!! :cool::cool:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
WOW, 4 halogens that light up the road and surrounding landscape. I'm sure glad I'm not one of the people coming towards you!!!.:lol::lol:

So I'll modify my statement. Don't drive at night UNLESS you have 4 halogens to light up the landscape!! :cool::cool:

Another smartass. You think I leave these on when others are coming in my direction? :moon:

Just FYI - I have these connected to the high-low beam switch next to the steering wheel (you have one of these, right?) and make sure I turn them off when people are coming my way, the same way most people lower their beams as a matter of course.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:19 PM

I forgot to add - most of the boobs that tell you NOT to drive at night are OFF the road at night. And THAT's a good thing. :lol::lol::lol:

BajaTim

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:47 PM

I have to agree with Roberto. For seven years I drove as a courier , San Diego to La Paz/ San Lucas, and back, twice a week. Aside from flat tires, I never had a problem. LOTS of night driving. As Roberto says, you use your mega-lights judiciously. Tim
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 01:55 PM

So far we've heard from two apparently "Professional" drivers with special lighting that prefer night driving.

Any non-pro's drivng regular cars out there agree with them?

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

jamesdbeckjr

[*] posted on 7-16-2006 at 02:35 PM

Even with young eyes I had close encounters at night in my youth.Regular lights and older eyes I have regretted it every time I've driven at night. Keeping edge of road in line while large trucks headlight glare is in your eyes is a particular treat.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.